randomness included
Retired Staff
May 5, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Random
Is your hindsight?

it is a deeper question than i can describe, but i am interested in potential possibilities and wonder what others can describe for their futures

i have nothing at the moment, but just a question that suddenly appears, i ponder and most often, procrastinate and forget my initial question

Hindsight? As in things we remember and use to form our models of the way the world works today? I'm not sure exactly, but some people say it goes back to infancy, and how much attention/love we got as babies. Seems plausible to me, we're always learning so perhaps the process just goes back forever?

Hmm, never thought about hindsight being infinite. That's interesting.

Is your hindsight?

it is a deeper question than i can describe, but i am interested in potential possibilities and wonder what others can describe for their futures

i have nothing at the moment, but just a question that suddenly appears, i ponder and most often, procrastinate and forget my initial question

Are you talking about when you came to a crossroads - chose a certain path - then later on look back at that moment of choice and see how things could have gone differently?

For me it's only at those big life changing moments that I remember clearly. Like getting married. Making the decision to go to college. How my words and actions changed another person's life direction.

In general - when I made those choices as a young person I can clearly see where I didn't listen to my intuition and I paid dearly for it. Later on in life - I can see where when I did follow my intuition - even though there was emotional pain involved - the choice was the best thing I could have done for me.

Hmmm.....in looking at it now - I can see where every time I avoided pain - my life's misery increased. Each time I went ahead and bit the bullet of a painful choice - my life's misery decreased substantially.

sry been distracted..

ya, i was thinking the other night, pondering as i always do, and i got onto some track about time
i think about time quite often and how it moves around us

and i got to thinking about next week (for me) and i was wondering what circumstances that can happen now affect my hindsight later. where i see myself in a few weeks or days, maybe even months.. and would i be able to look back on this moment and say, wow, that was where i could have jumped onto that opportunity, or i missed out on this because that happened, etc

and i was wondering how far back does your hindsight go

just a curious question that struck me, lol
and to me, an interesting one

hmm maybe this will help

one moment in time can write your legacy forever..

ok some examples:

like deciding something now that would affect something 3 weeks from now
or even years
or maybe something you're doing, a project that will bring future fame and glory
or like a serial killer who gets away for so long until they are finally caught
how many times were so close to being found out
doesn't it get people hopeful or worried, thinking about that future spot?

i think about those folks that have suffered or killed countless
or preached death to hundreds

or like a recent news question i ask myself
did the accused popes think they would have gotten away with it at the time
how could you not have hindsight of certain actions

or like the examples of walking away from a plane crash
where you sat determined what you saw at those most important time

time moves forward, and each defining second determines your future legacy

and i was curious on what other thought about hindsight

This is such a great topic, I also like thinking about time and timing, etc... the 4th dimension, right? Most examples of hindsight involve little tiny itty bitty weensy decisions you barely even notice, which you repeat day in and day out, but those decisions change your life in some miniscule way or another when they add up -- like: "Gee, I'm glad I didn't eat that donut for the 500th day in a row, because now I still fit in my jeans."

Only rarely is hindsight a big, momentous thing that is marked by angels singing and gongs going off. Still, that does happen. I remember once helping a friend move, and that decision drastically changed my life's trajectory in a way I could never have ever predicted. I also remember once someone told me something I was very good at was "useless", and that made me decide to get good at something else. Totally changed my life.

I wish I had paid more attention in certain classes, also. Who you listen to and who you choose to ignore can, in hindsight, make a huge difference.

Being nice to people routinely is also a very good idea, because you never know when you are going to walk into a job interview and suddenly run into that person from 5th grade you treated badly. It happens. Routinely treating people badly WILL bite you in the butt one day. It just will.

I was just reading about Rosa Parks, and her decision not to stand up on a bus one day had a profound impact on the world that I'm certain surprised her. Wonder if she had made a different decision that day, what would have happened? It's all very It's a Wonderful Life, isn't it?