How does overly active Ni manifest itself in human interactions? | INFJ Forum

How does overly active Ni manifest itself in human interactions?

iHeartCats

Community Member
Jun 7, 2014
MBTI
ESFP
I am currently studying the Ni function, which is a dominant function with INFJ and INTJ type.
By overly active Ni I don't mean naturally dominant Ni (that INFJs and INTJs have).
I mean the kind of extremely self-sufficient Ni, that is self-sufficient to the point of making people who have such kind of Ni convinced that they are right about some subject, solely based on their conviction that their intuition (Ni) is always flawless, and that they don't need to support their Ni with any other cognitive functions or arguments, other than just claiming their intuition to be right about the subject.
So I have clearly already stated how I think that kind of Ni can manifest in discussions, but I would like to know your opinion on how that kind of Ni works in different kinds of social settings (school, work, family) and in relationships (both love and friendship).

Great question.

I dont know...

What?

an illusion of knowing / seeing everything.

Ni is a subjective, perceptive and irrational function. It is based on experience, because it is a subjective factor.
Metaphoricaly, Ni is a language that only the person who has it know it, a kind of natural language, unknown by anyone.

Ni's insightas can hardly be explained logicaly and in a proper and reasonable manner, because of the subjective factor.
So its not about Ni's self-sufficienty, its more the subjective nature of Ni which is exasperating to be accepted from the outside.

For example, if I have a insight in a certain situation because of my Ni...I can not exaplin it to you why and how I got that answer or conclusion. In that case, you'll better rely on my precision and experience to trust in my insights...or you'll better not. You chose.

But let's say for example, a INTJ makes a certain prediction or he "feels" that a certain something will happen, like for example a economical collapse. (having Te, INTJs can spy up their Ni in the area of actions, thus having a much more broad abstract perspective from which to perceive patterns and links between events) Your reaction could be one of "overly Ni", or one of trying to prepare for what the INTJ thinks he can see in the future.

Ni has a individual pride to it, because of its highly subjective nature, almost like Fi.
A Fi users will always scream in your face what are his values, that HE feels this and that, that HE chose this and that, that HE hopes this and that.
There is that same thing with Ni. That's why many Ni users can be full of themselfs.

patience, delayed activity

But let's say for example, a INTJ makes a certain prediction or he "feels" that a certain something will happen, like for example a economical collapse. (having Te, INTJs can spy up their Ni in the area of actions, thus having a much more broad abstract perspective from which to perceive patterns and links between events) Your reaction could be one of "overly Ni", or one of trying to prepare for what the INTJ thinks he can see in the future.

But what if the Ni user is deceived by Ni and makes....a wrong prediction?
In that case, wouldn't it be better that I don't react at all and just ignore the Ni prediction of the Ni user....and use my Si instead?
Are you saying that....Ni can never be wrong?

Ni users are rarely be completely wrong, in a different way that Si users are rarely be completely wrong.

Ni sees MANY MANY things from MANY MANY layers and MANY MANY perspectives.
Si sees what works, what had always been; and what built that.

The end result MIGHT be wrong for both users (unless you have future prediction powers, in which case, GIMME), but that doesn't mean ALL the parts of the equations, the considerations are completely wrong or baseless.

The end result MIGHT be wrong for both users (unless you have future prediction powers, in which case, GIMME), but that doesn't mean ALL the parts of the equations, the considerations are completely wrong or baseless.

Of course! My Si result could always be completely wrong.
But if I had to rely on someone's predictions, I would always choose suffering from the consequences of my own wrong Si, than suffering from consequences of someone else's wrong Si or Ni. (Which is not so relevant to the OP of this thread).
I don't have future prediction powers, INFJ would have those. As the type with the strongest Ni.

that might be fair or not, that depends. :D

This is just my own biased opinion, but I think Si sees Ni as too random, too unconnected. Ni sees Si as way too rigid, if not stagnant.

But see, therein lies the nuance.

You don't know how much you're being right or wrong. you can be 20% right, and the other 80% right. You're both still wrong, but one is less wrong than the other.
And vice versa.
That's why I said it depends. XD If you're only very little slightly right and yet you kept doing what you do because you "want to know what kind of s*** it's gonna be." sure; but that doesn't necessarily make you fair.

I know for myself that I constantly see patterns and insights into what fits together, what makes sense and what doesn't. I have learned that it is better to then research the idea or subject thoroughly to back up these insights or if it can't be researched then analyse it fully cognitively to try to figure out where the insight has come from. It makes me feel more comfortable with these 'feelings' because I am sure that they come from the information that I have received and accumulated subconsciously and the experiences I have had but information can be wrong and experiences are very subjective. I do seem to 'know' certain things somehow which often turn out to be fairly accurate but I still feel a need to back it up with something more than 'it's my gut feeling'. When others have a gut feeling but don't have any information to back it up or any reasonable argument to back it up then I will usually not take it very seriously, so I expect the same from myself.

You don't know how much you're being right or wrong. you can be 20% right, and the other 80% right. You're both still wrong, but one is less wrong than the other.

?So if I am 20% percent right and someone else is 80% right, that means that he is more right than me
?But I think he isn't, because if we're both less than 100% right, then I think that we are both 100% wrong
You are either right or wrong. There is no in-between.
?You think there is

If you're only very little slightly right and yet you kept doing what you do because you "want to know what kind of s*** it's gonna be." sure; but that doesn't necessarily make you fair.

But this is not about trying to be fair on unfair.
It's about using cognitive functions to your advantage.
?Also, I wouldn't do something just because I want to know what kind of s*** it's gonna be, and I also didn't say that
The point was if I had to make a decision and wanted to use cognitive functions to predict the outcome and choose the best possible action to get the desired outcome, or the least undesirable outcome, I would rather rely on my own cognitive functions than on someone else's.
?Do you understand the difference

Last edited:
But what if the Ni user is deceived by Ni and makes....a wrong prediction?
In that case, wouldn't it be better that I don't react at all and just ignore the Ni prediction of the Ni user....and use my Si instead?
Are you saying that....Ni can never be wrong?

Firstly, you can not make any prediction with Si as a cognitive function. The only function that "works with time", is Ni, according to Socionics. Si is a sensorial function, its present, althought Si has connection with what is called nostalgia, a certain impression that a certain object brings because of a experience in the past.

Ni can go wrong of course...but that is depending on the experience of the user, of how good is he at "mastering" his Ni.
I'm telling you, even if Ni can go wrong, people who have this are a gift to the world, and they must be tressured.
Here is a Ni user, INTJ Ron Paul, making some freaking predictions...isn't that amazing?

[video=youtube;48Gfzgxh3ZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Gfzgxh3ZQ[/video]

Ni is the opposite function of Se. What happens to be prediction it is just the opposite function whispering in our ears. We take a lot of sensory information without even knowing it, thing is, that that we are not attuned to it as much as we like to. I'll go further and say that the predictive nature of Ni users it is just compulsive and deeply ingrained in our ego and fears. We WANT things to go in a certain way in the long run, our weakest Se makes it difficult to do it while stepping in, so contemplation is preffered until we start to trust ourselves more. It's not that we actually see the future, we just freak out at the possibility of the future turning out like we want to, and as much as we want it, we'll start to develop an ability there, just out of neurotic observation.

Last edited:
Ni user hears someone talking and suddenly notices someone is looking at them: "I'm sorry, but what did you just say?"

Ni user hears someone talking and suddenly notices someone is looking at them: "I'm sorry, but what did you just say?"

Echos in the chambers of the mind :)