How do you name a metallic compound?

Stella

Community Member
Sep 19, 2010
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
8W9
So, I'm studying furiously for my chem final this Friday, and I never figured out how to name a metallic compound. Help?

Whoever can help me gets a cookie of the delicious baked type.

Last edited:
Give me a few example problems you are stuck on and I can walk you through it.

Give me a few example problems you are stuck on and I can walk you through it.
I don't really have any examples. I was going through my notes and noticed I had names for ionic compounds (Cobalt (II) bromide) and molecular compounds (Phosphorus pentachloride), but I had a question mark next to how to name metallic compounds. I vaguely remember my instructor saying metallic compounds just went by common names (brass, for example), but vaguely is the key word here.

It will be better if I just go through some examples, so I will list some:

CsF - This is called "cesium chloride". When you name metallic compounds, you say the metallic element's name without any change, and you state it first. The only exception is with transistion metals that can have several charges.

MgI2 - This would be called "magnesium iodide" note that I did not say "diiodide" it's improper with metallic compounds to say how many anions are on the compound.

CoCl2 - This would be called "Cobalt(II) Chloride" The reason the (II) is there is to designate the charge of the metallic element. Since there are two chlorines with a negative charge each, this means cobalt must have a +2 charge, hence (II)

FeCl3 - This can be called two things "ferric chloride" or "Iron(III) chloride". The reason ferric is used, is that is the old name of iron, and the name itself implies a charge of three.

FeBr2 - Like the above, this has two names "ferrous bromide" or "Iron(II) bromine". Again for the same reason, Ferrous implies a charge of 2.

I hope this helps some.