How do you feel around INFPs? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel around INFPs?

I know at least two, and they are insightful, charming, empathetic, intelligent and humorously witty people. Iow, I think they're pretty remarkable. <3

WAY too sensitive. Loyal to a fault. Mood swings (but will generally disappear when they feel crabby- I appreciate that).

Also...

Creative. Very sweet and kind. Understanding. Good listeners. Good conversationalists.

I only know one INFP well and she is wonderful, a very talented artist. I have known her for years, very kind and loving. Certainly sensitive, but I wouldn't say over sensitive. She is well adjusted and happy. Every time I speak to her, I feel better and she is a great listener. Far less grumpy than me, though that is perhaps not difficult.

I like INFP's to me they seem very like INFJ's but more gentle and caring. My only criticism would be lack of organization, which most INFJ's struggle with as well in all fairness. So in short, I like em.. a lot.

Aside from the INFJs I know through this page, most of my best friends are INFPs. Not all, I do have a totally wonderful INTJ friend, and other friends of different other types. I'm not one of those INFJs who has some weird aversion to S types or E types, I want to try to celebrate everyone as well as I can. But I'm just saying that I think I get on with INFPs better than any other type. I feel like I can be at my most extreme around them, and they won't downplay it at all, they will react to it according to their beliefs and principles and will display their reactions in an articulate way. But at the same time they will accept me without judgment as who I am. In this way, I think that they're masters of validation. They have a kind of special interpersonal talent.

I only know one INFP well and she is wonderful, a very talented artist. I have known her for years, very kind and loving. Certainly sensitive, but I wouldn't say over sensitive. She is well adjusted and happy. Every time I speak to her, I feel better and she is a great listener. Far less grumpy than me, though that is perhaps not difficult.

I like INFP's to me they seem very like INFJ's but more gentle and caring. My only criticism would be lack of organization, which most INFJ's struggle with as well in all fairness. So in short, I like em.. a lot.

Well, I don't think the over-sensitivity is something that is obvious. They can take offense to something you have said without you even knowing. My take? They are fairly agreeable due to their friendly nature. They want to be accepting of everyone and everything. So when you say something that may offend them (remember, it was not your intention, just the way they might have interpreted it) this causes turmoil and confusion for them. There seems to be this internal struggle between taking offense and wanting to be accepting. So they continue to go over it in their minds. And it festers. And builds. More building. And then they explode out of nowhere over something minor. When really, they are exploding about something that happened a month or more eariler, making them appear to be irrational.

I know a few INFP's and I get along with them great. But yeah. :)

Last edited:
Well, I don't think the over-sensitivity is something that is obvious. They can take offense to something you have said without you even knowing. My take? They are fairly agreeable due to their friendly nature. They want to be accepting of everyone and everything. So when you say something that may offend them (remember, it was not your intention, just the way they might have interrupted it) this causes turmoil and confusion for them. There seems to be this internal struggle between taking offense and wanting to be accepting. So they continue to go over it in their minds. And it festers. And builds. More building. And then they explode out of nowhere over something minor. When really, they are exploding about something that happened a month or more eariler, making them appear to be irrational.

That's interesting, I really only know the one INFP well, she's been through a lot and is mature and well adjusted. I've never had the situation you describe, I've known her since I was 11 so I'm sure I've upset her many times with my inaccurate frisbees.

I guess people are individual within their type, and she's always had her artwork to express her feelings rather than bottle them up. Infjs are sometimes prone to artistic outbursts, but most I've encountered here seem together and constructive even those going through difficult issues.

Personally I am not well adjusted, and seize any opportunity to fly into an artistic rage, at the slightest perception of criticism. *Shakes fist at deity in sky* zap lighting bolt, ashes. Diety laughing. Agony. Drats. Will I ever learn ??

Not sure if the following is felt by other INFPs, or whether it's just me. Feel free to disagree or add your perspective on this.

As an INFP, one thing I do appreciate about the personality is how accepting we can be. Yes, we have our flaws, weirdness, etc. :D but INFPs are very easy going when it comes to people, and are very accepting. You don't have to be perfect to be an INFPs friend or love. They will put up with things other types will easily dismiss as deal breakers. They're least likely to judge you by what you have or where you're from. I love this quality but it's also the one that make it easy to be a doormat. Of course, this doesn't mean we're never judgmental or picky. I've noticed that we are usually more understanding of others than they are of us.

For example, this overdone focus on sensitivity is tired. INFPs can be quite sensitive, but in many cases, it's because someone is perhaps being a bit too insensitive to someone else's feelings so of course, they take offense. They're trying to bring to the other person's attention the possibility that they're not being considerate, tactful, or appreciative of someone else's feelings or views. We can be an emotional but I guarantee there's a reason.

Once we let you in, you're usually in for life with us, unless you hurt us really badly, and even then we're more likely to give you multiple chances, or later on, just distance ourselves if it's not working out. We are extremely loyal. And we have an amazing ability to put others before ourselves, although we're constantly described as being "selfish" because of Fi. We are also pretty generous. The problem is we are emotionally giving, but we get taken advantage of quite easily if we're not careful to set boundaries. We're big on people pleasing, which can screw us over in the long run.

I've grown to accept and appreciate being an INFP. It's cool. :)

Last edited:
Not sure if the following is felt by other INFPs, or whether it's just me. Feel free to disagree or add your perspective on this.

As an INFP, one thing I do appreciate about the personality is how accepting we can be. Yes, we have our flaws, weirdness, etc. :D but INFPs are very easy going when it comes to people, and are very accepting. You don't have to be perfect to be an INFPs friend or love. They will put up with things other types will easily dismiss as deal breakers. They're least likely to judge you by what you have or where you're from. I love this quality but it's also the one that make it easy to be a doormat. Of course, this doesn't mean we're never judgmental or picky. I've noticed that we are usually more understanding of others than they are of us.

For example, this overdone focus on sensitivity is tired. INFPs can be quite sensitive, but in many cases, it's because someone is perhaps being a bit too insensitive to someone else's feelings so of course, they take offense. They're trying to bring to the other person's attention the possibility that they're not being considerate, tactful, or appreciative of someone else's feelings or views. We can be an emotional but I guarantee there's a reason.

Once we let you in, you're usually in for life with us, unless you hurt us really badly, and even then we're more likely to give you multiple chances, or later on, just distance ourselves if it's not working out. We are extremely loyal. And we have an amazing ability to put others before ourselves, although we're constantly described as being "selfish" because of Fi. We are also pretty generous. The problem is we are emotionally giving, but we get taken advantage of quite easily if we're not careful to set boundaries. We're big on people pleasing, which can screw us over in the long run.

I've grown to accept and appreciate being an INFP. It's cool. :)
A thousand likes
:grouphug:

I say what I want!

Oh SNAP

WScn4Hm.gif

Well, I don't think the over-sensitivity is something that is obvious. They can take offense to something you have said without you even knowing. My take? They are fairly agreeable due to their friendly nature. They want to be accepting of everyone and everything. So when you say something that may offend them (remember, it was not your intention, just the way they might have interpreted it) this causes turmoil and confusion for them. There seems to be this internal struggle between taking offense and wanting to be accepting. So they continue to go over it in their minds. And it festers. And builds. More building. And then they explode out of nowhere over something minor. When really, they are exploding about something that happened a month or more eariler, making them appear to be irrational.

I continue to have a strong aversion to INTJs. They consistently present as heartless and self righteous with an unearned arrogance. I'm still working on it...

I continue to have a strong aversion to INTJs. They consistently present as heartless and self righteous with an unearned arrogance. I'm still working on it...

This is a great example.

And I am very happy to hear you are working on it.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
And my strong aversion continues...

You're not offending me, if that is the goal here. I'm not really sure what your problem is, but you have every right to your opinion.

But I would suggest making comments about INTJ's in a thread about INTJ's. Or a vent thread. Whichever you prefer.

Reactions: Free
You're not offending me, if that is the goal here. I'm not really sure what your problem is, but you have every right to your opinion.

But I would suggest making comments about INTJ's in a thread about INTJ's. Or a vent thread. Whichever you prefer.
I'm not trying to offend you. I don't even know you. Don't personalise it.
It's a pattern I see in INTJs just as you see in INFPs.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm not trying to offend you. I don't even know you. Don't personalise it.
It's a pattern I see in INTJs just as you see in INFPs.

This does not make any sense whatsoever. Yes, you were trying to offend. This thread is about INFP's. You quoted and responded to my opinion about INFP's, (which by the way, was not necessarily negative) with your opinion about INTJ's. So yes, you personalized it.

I don't care either way. But put it were it belongs. A vent thread or make a new one.

This does not make any sense whatsoever. Yes, you were trying to offend. This thread is about INFP's. You quoted and responded to my opinion about INFP's, (which by the way, was not necessarily negative) with your opinion about INTJ's. So yes, you personalized it.

I don't care either way. But put it were it belongs. A vent thread or make a new one.
My opinion about your opinion about INFPs and your follow up reply was that they were negative, an underlying message that INFPs are irrational and have problems - not in a supportive manner but more from a judgemental stance. Although your judgment is not necessarily incorrect it was the underlying tone that had a sting of arrogance.
I seriously don't wish to offend you. I'm aware I have a clash with INTJ's generally.

Reactions: Gaze
My opinion about your opinion about INFPs and your follow up reply was that they were negative, an underlying message that INFPs are irrational and have problems - not in a supportive manner but more from a judgemental stance. Although your judgment is not necessarily incorrect it was the underlying tone that had a sting of arrogance.
I seriously don't wish to offend you. I'm aware I have a clash with INTJ's generally.

I like INFP's, as I stated. I wrote that this internal struggle that I have observed can make them appear to be irrational.

That does not mean that I think they are irrational. But it does appear that way to people who do not understand their process. There is nothing negative about it.

Reactions: Asa and Free