How do you determined your Cog functions? | INFJ Forum

How do you determined your Cog functions?

Dec 7, 2014
Indonesia
MBTI
INTJ
I have read some of the descriptions on each pair of cognitive functions and when comparing T,S,N,F, i would say my functions Ti/Te - Ni/Ne - Fe - Se (not in particular order)

Is there any easy real life examples of Ti/Te and Ni/Ne anyone can explain to me?
After that, how do you determined which function is your Dominant, Aux, etc ?

Maybe anyone can asks questions and help typing me as well.

Thank you.

(my english is limited, so I dont really grasped what I read on cognitive functions)

infinium said:
I have read some of the descriptions on each pair of cognitive functions and when comparing T,S,N,F, i would say my functions Ti/Te - Ni/Ne - Fe - Se (not in particular order)

Beware: different theorists offshooting from Jung's work define these somewhat differently, some very differently. The best way to decide is to read up on the definitions carefully and spend a lot of time reflecting how they naturally show up, but also understanding the theoretical foundations well.

it seems like there's a little bit of every functions in everything I do (daily life), I still a bit confused, do you have any sites reference that I could read on? if possible with some examples..

Well there is. The functions are so basic they're everywhere. The point though is to isolate patterns that describe something really close to who you are. So for instance, if you observe reality very closely and having a sense of what's real and what isn't is important to you, then consider sensation.

Everyone has some of these because it's so basic.

I think isolating what functions you emphasize is realistic, but the models that pin down what attitude (introverted/extraverted) are kinda arbitrary...I'd go with the Jungian model that pretty much says your dominant and inferior have an attitude, but the others are more indeterminate/variable depending on phase of life.

The argument on what function has which attitude, like does it go TiNeSe or TiNeSi etc....they're kinda silly. The point really is you're either introverted or extraverted, and unless you're ambiverted, you don't have functions in both attitudes developed.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to stay basic with this for tonight.
We use all 8 cognitive functions, but we all have different preferences for our order of their usage. The functions manifest themselves depending on where in a person's stack they fall. It's also important to remember that cognitive funtions do not make you who you are, but are simply your preferences of thinking and behaviour.

For example, take an ENTP and INFJ, and examine their dominant percieving functions. An INFJ's Ni falls first in their stack, using it is as natural as breathing, continuously assessing internal data with their Intuition. For an ENTP, Ne falls first. Ne. domiance makes for a quick thinker, jumping from insight to insight. This manner of percieving the extetnal world, while very natural for the ENTP , can be rather chaotic for the INFJ...it takes effort for an INFJ to use their Ne (their fifth function) to keep up with an ENTP in that regard. An ENTP might find Ni usage (their fifth) to be "slow" for their liking. There are many more examples.

I've personally familiarized myself with the cognitive functions from years of reading about them and making my own sense of how they operate.

My main problem with the modern definitions is Ne sounds more like NP than anything to do with extraversion at least as Jung conceived of it, or as most modern theories of personality like the five factor model conceive of it.

It's one of many reasons I don't think Myers was correct (albeit she acknowledged she was in the minority in her view) to assume everyone's type can be decoded in terms of two functions of opposite attitudes, using this P/J system conversion. I.e. NP=> Ne and NJ=>Ni.

I'd agree with Serenity's take on the types of NJ and NP in general, in that it makes sense a NJ wouldn't feel comfortable leaping from thought to thought the way a NP might, due to the greater spontaneity and the philosophy of letting the moment sway you whatever direction it may.

But, I'd not necessarily say this gets at the heart of what intuition in the extraverted attitude vs in the introverted attitude is about. It is, however, what those who follow Myers' theory need to work with. I think it's better not to follow this particular aspect.

As reference, I think I found my best-fit only after thoroughly seeing how the system works. You need to resolve the billions of contradictions floating around among the many scholars. Some may never do this, because it takes too long. For such people I strongly recommend typing yourself in a few different systems/schools of thought just so you get a little healthy detachment from one way of rationalizing this type stuff. Resolving them all into one coherent understanding is a massive effort that I honestly don't htink most practicing professionals bother to do.

I'm going to try to stay basic with this for tonight.
We use all 8 cognitive functions, but we all have different preferences for our order of their usage. The functions manifest themselves depending on where in a person's stack they fall. It's also important to remember that cognitive funtions do not make you who you are, but are simply your preferences of thinking and behaviour.

For example, take an ENTP and INFJ, and examine their dominant percieving functions. An INFJ's Ni falls first in their stack, using it is as natural as breathing, continuously assessing internal data with their Intuition. For an ENTP, Ne falls first. Ne. domiance makes for a quick thinker, jumping from insight to insight. This manner of percieving the extetnal world, while very natural for the ENTP , can be rather chaotic for the INFJ...it takes effort for an INFJ to use their Ne (their fifth function) to keep up with an ENTP in that regard. An ENTP might find Ni usage (their fifth) to be "slow" for their liking. There are many more examples.

I've personally familiarized myself with the cognitive functions from years of reading about them and making my own sense of how they operate.

If for INTJ vs INTP, Ni-FI and Ti-Si.. do you have example on this?

a question, Wil you say that a very lazy INTJ (goal-less, or already have everything that I want) would be very similar to an INTP?

infinium said:
a question, Wil you say that a very lazy INTJ (goal-less, or already have everything that I want) would be very similar to an INTP?

It's useful to get a sense of how personality dimensions work, e.g. as studied by the Big 5 -- laziness is more consistent with the opposite of Conscientiousness, aka Unstructured, so generally inconsistent with a J preference. However, each of these dimensions is multifaceted, meaning it is reasonable to be J-ish in some respects and P-ish in others.

(Actually, that is exactly what is going on when you note there are 4 types of Extraversion covered by Jung -- the N sort, the S sort, the T sort, and the F sort...)

Anyway, your hypothetical person who is lazy but INTJ is out of preference for J there, so it's safer to call them a mild-J -- in other words, closer to an INTP.
Most people have some attributes of either side.

I'm lazy to those people around me, actually Care-Less would be more appropriate word, If I dont see it important, it can wait till the end of eternity .. However I'm not lazy when Im into something that I find intriguing and challenging, and when Im doing it, I could not stop until I finished. I never stop mid-way either, I need to see 'at least' an outcome of some sort, results, or conclusion.