How do we feel about distraction? | INFJ Forum

How do we feel about distraction?

Oct 17, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
I don't know how common this for everyone, but, it is PAINFUL for me to be distracted away from the train of thought, whether I'm awake or sleeping. As it is, I'm often confused about things, so I need to constantly feel like I can concentrate on the issue at hand. I can make myself sick just trying to think straight.

I consider it to be a huge nuisance, and I'm ready to attack whatever or whomever is causing the problem.

Currently, I'm living in an apartment building where the neighbor above me appears to have a heavy foot that paces in the middle of the night for hours at a time. Thus, I cannot sleep. And when I say heavy, I mean the ceiling sounds like it could cave in at any moment.

In truth, I don't blame my neighbor but my landlord because I feel like this cannot be considered a livable situation. I shouldn't have to adjust to this kind of noise should I?And my neighbor should have the right to pace in his/her apartment at any hour of the day, correct?

Can you talk to your neighbor? If not I would talk to the landlord. You have a right to sleep. If you're depressed already this could make it so much worse for you.

I don't mind infrequent distractions by other people. In terms of studying and thinking, I do prefer quiet environments.

I feel annoyed, and if the distraction is of a nature that will allow me to get rid of it, I do it without reservation.

Hmmmm...I live with four nay...six distractions. So I have a highly developed ability to tune out my surroundings. So much so, it takes a tone of voice, or unusual noise pattern to jolt me out of it unless I drift out of it on my own.

This ability pisses my hubby off no end!

When I'm deeply concentrating on work nothing grates me more than being interrupted. Grrr! Outside of work I don't really care.

In the first instance, I'd chat to my neighbour if the noise was a problem, they may simply be unaware and happy to accommodate you.

I like to concentrate on the task at hand. It usually isn't so bad that I snap at the person who is interrupting me, but if there's not a good reason, I'll be slightly irked. It's usually not bad though; growing up with a twin sister helps one grow accustom to someone trying to divert attention.
But I do need to concentrate, especially when reading.

But yeah; I would definitely talk to your neighbor, at least to bring it to his attention; maybe he's not aware. And then you can go to your landlord if the problem remains...
If it's affecting your health, then you should try to exert yourself!

I've developed a lot of patience over the years, but it still takes sheer force of will to politely respond to distractions/interruptions. My son and husband frequently test this patience, and love of them makes me respond to them rather than snap at or ignore them (as is my first inclination) if I'm deeply engaged in something.

In truth, I don't blame my neighbor but my landlord because I feel like this cannot be considered a livable situation. I shouldn't have to adjust to this kind of noise should I?And my neighbor should have the right to pace in his/her apartment at any hour of the day, correct?

Usually, I tend to get real deep inside my thoughts and few things can distract me. But if something does distract me, it really gets on my nerves.

As for your situation, your neighbor does have the right to move around their apartment whenever they feel like it, but that doesn't mean they have a right to be so noisy about it. They live in an apartment building not some barnyard off in the middle of nowhere. So, I totally agree with gloomy-optimist, you should try talking to your neighbor about it.

I am very mad if i get distracted from anything.... and sadly i am having a hard time zoning out from my surroundings. I don't have good patience about being on task if there's big distractions going on.

I am very mad if i get distracted from anything.... and sadly i am having a hard time zoning out from my surroundings. I don't have good patience about being on task if there's big distractions going on.

I also have a hard time zoning out from my surroundings. It's a big part of why I'm such a shut-in. I can't go to a restaurant or bar without hearing the conversations and interactions of everyone around me, analyzing them, feeling them, etc.

It really stinks, but I don't know how to stop it.

When I was in my 20's, out with my friends in a club, sometimes I'd start crying after observing/feeling a situation that was going on around me (i.e. older woman who disappeared into the men's room with 3 or 4 different men in succession, while the other guys in the group laughed and mocked her when she wasn't there. One of my friends noticed me noticing it and hugged me hard, and suggested to the group we were with that we go somewhere else. She had developed quite the radar for my weaknesses, which I adore her for to this day.

when im into something i like studying or doing i will become so angry.. SO angry.. SO F**KING ANGRY GOD DAMNIT I haTE IT I F**CKING HATE IT!!!!