How can we take it back? | Page 65 | INFJ Forum

How can we take it back?

Monday, October 10, 2016
Common Dreams
Indigenous Peoples Day Sweeps Nation as Battles Intensify for Native American Rights
While towns and cities across country abolish Columbus Day, water protectors face down riot police at Dakota Access construction site
Nika Knight, staff writer

indigenous-peoples-day.jpg

On Alcatraz Island, a sunrise ceremony saw hundreds gather to honor the culture of Indigenous peoples and express solidarity with the fight against Dakota Access. (Photo: Fusion/Twitter)

As the movement to abolish Columbus Day and replace it with Indigenous Peoples Day finds success in communities from Phoenix, Arizona to the state of Vermont, the battle for Indigenous rights in the face of industrial development rages on.

In North Dakota, 27 Indigenous water protectors (#IndigenousPeoplesDay Tweets) were arrested in Monday's action to peacefully occupy a Dakota Access Pipeline construction site. The arrests at the hands of militarized police came less than a day after a federal court of appeals ruled against the Standing Rock Sioux's request for an emergency injunction against the controversial pipeline project.

Meanwhile, on Alcatraz Island, a sunrise ceremony saw hundreds gather to honor the culture of Indigenous peoples and express solidarity with the fight against Dakota Access.

[...]

http://commondreams.org/news/2016/1...tion-battles-intensify-native-american-rights

The Legend spreads ...​

Reactions: Skarekrow
Authoritarianism is right wing. Rightly said. Nothing more stupid in my opinion.

Lol...I think the current political idiocy here in the US is a perfect example.

Skarekrow,

I'd love to have a good 'ol political rant! Would you suggest I post something on this thread, or elsewhere? I haven't had the chance to work out how these things are done. Obviously not all INFJ's are going to have the same political views, and I wouldn't like to transgress on-line etiquette, nor get caught up in trying to justify views to others who don't share them...especially as a lot of these views are not about to change anytime soon! Lol!
What does one do?
Would like to pick this up later, and have a good old whinge about the state of the world and UK and US government.

Lack of intellect or fear? Fear is a base emotion and takes over intellect. When people feel insecure they become afraid. Many people are now insecure in our society and most of that insecurity comes from economic factors. Its easy to afraid when you don't know where your next meal is coming from. Its easy to think about the past as some golden time when people did not have to work as many people have to work now, when jobs and opportunities were more plentiful. Its easy to blame "the other" (Muslims and Mexicans) for your problems, or to look to strongman to solve all your problems. After November 8, this is not over and there is no, "putting the genie back into the bottle". So where does it end and what happens next? The voices of opposition to the Hillary Presidency will get louder and more desperate and will see the election as illegitimate. Talking heads will whip the tea partiers/Trumpkins into a near frenzy. When people feel their back is against the wall and their very way of life and culture are being eroded who knows what will happen? New politicians will rise up to exploit these fears because the economic problems for this segment of the population will not go away. What will the next Trump be like? What will the future be like? It's really anyone's guess, but my feeling is that it won't be a bright future for America.

Absolutely, well said! Economic pressures and pervasive fear. I think this is the pervasive mood. Leaders who are out for them selves, and with no long term view. The institutions that are suppost to be protecting us, or serving us being bought or cashing in. Its all totally bonkers. TTIP, the 'economic' crisis and a million other things. Policy which is all really a stich up, like the whole world is like a game of chess! (Sometimes I watch Max Kaizer re the world economy (Keizer report. RT channel). It's really hilarious if you like dark humour). Not to mention all the duplicity about the wars we have been involved in in the middle east.
I actually haven't followed the news much for a couple of months, After the UK announced leaving the E.U. I was so distraught I watched a lot of political news etc. for a while and then zoned off. I'm not that au fait about U.S. politics but I feel the trend your describing is right, you can feel it here too. People here (marginally) wanted to leave the E.U. to 'get their country back', I don't likely know what they were expecting to get back. It's really sad because in my mind that was one of the remaining things about the U.K that was good and that hadn't been sold off. A tradition of welcoming people in and having a diverse society and integrated society.
After the referendum you saw the hot spots were people had vote showed that they felt left behind, and that they felt that some wealthier more cosmopolitan part of the population was enjoying the benefits of globalisation while they were left behind with nothing but declining industry and crumbling public health services. Now most of London has been sold to rich foreign investors, leaving Londoners priced out of their own homes, and the whole thing is going down the pan. To top it all off I resent the fact that I may not have access to the rest of Europe like before, and wonder if there will still be funding for me to finish my degree. Luckily this is still, just, paid for students living in Scotland (not England), but how long for I don't know.
Things really are tough I think on both sides of the Atlantic. Shocking how the E.U trashed Greece Portugal and Spain's Economy... and I can really sense how tough things must be in the U.S. I'm sure there are a lot of people too trying to keep united and strong, and show a dissenting voice. ..and alternative news outlets and media etc.. but there sure is a lot going on. Violence- of all descriptions against all different peoples and a hardness and struggle that people have to endure in their everyday lives just to survive.

Absolutely, well said! Economic pressures and pervasive fear. I think this is the pervasive mood. Leaders who are out for them selves, and with no long term view. The institutions that are suppost to be protecting us, or serving us being bought or cashing in. Its all totally bonkers. TTIP, the 'economic' crisis and a million other things. Policy which is all really a stich up, like the whole world is like a game of chess! (Sometimes I watch Max Kaizer re the world economy (Keizer report. RT channel). It's really hilarious if you like dark humour). Not to mention all the duplicity about the wars we have been involved in in the middle east.
I actually haven't followed the news much for a couple of months, After the UK announced leaving the E.U. I was so distraught I watched a lot of political news etc. for a while and then zoned off. I'm not that au fait about U.S. politics but I feel the trend your describing is right, you can feel it here too. People here (marginally) wanted to leave the E.U. to 'get their country back', I don't likely know what they were expecting to get back. It's really sad because in my mind that was one of the remaining things about the U.K that was good and that hadn't been sold off. A tradition of welcoming people in and having a diverse society and integrated society.
After the referendum you saw the hot spots were people had vote showed that they felt left behind, and that they felt that some wealthier more cosmopolitan part of the population was enjoying the benefits of globalisation while they were left behind with nothing but declining industry and crumbling public health services. Now most of London has been sold to rich foreign investors, leaving Londoners priced out of their own homes, and the whole thing is going down the pan. To top it all off I resent the fact that I may not have access to the rest of Europe like before, and wonder if there will still be funding for me to finish my degree. Luckily this is still, just, paid for students living in Scotland (not England), but how long for I don't know.
Things really are tough I think on both sides of the Atlantic. Shocking how the E.U trashed Greece Portugal and Spain's Economy... and I can really sense how tough things must be in the U.S. I'm sure there are a lot of people too trying to keep united and strong, and show a dissenting voice. ..and alternative news outlets and media etc.. but there sure is a lot going on. Violence- of all descriptions against all different peoples and a hardness and struggle that people have to endure in their everyday lives just to survive.

The trade agreement TTIP is seemingly on life support now. There has been so much effort to organize demonstrations and to sign petitions in EU countries that some national parliaments/governments are rejecting the trade treaty. The French government wants to stop future negotiations and the German minister of finance Sigmar Gabriel thinks that it is beyond repair. (http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...ll-ttip-komplett-neu-verhandeln-14450702.html)

The German supreme court in Karlsruhe is tomorrow, 13th of October, deciding if CETA is unconstitutional to the German constitution. In case of yes, it will be difficult to repair it. More than 100,00 people signed a petition against it. (http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...reihandelsabkommen-in-karlsruhe-14477344.html)

TISA is the last remaining trade agreement that involves the EU. I do not know much what is happening there at the moment. In the Pacific, you have the TPP.

Chess? I think that the games Civilization and Risk would better describe how their mind works. These people see themselves as founders of civilizations and empires, at least the top people do. They do not understand the meaning of the words lose and humility.

Hallelujah! Good to see some of that crap falling apart. You are well informed, thanks for sharing that.

The other that disturbs is how poorly informed people truly are. We saw this in the Brexit vote when many people did not understand what they were voting for or against. This is the issue with referendums (trust me as Canadian I know) often complex issues get reduced to a simple question. Many uninformed people just do not understand the ramifications of their vote. Now with the WWW we have access to so much information, but sadly 95% of it not worth anything, and this has dulled us to stop fact checking. The infamous Brexit bus is a perfect example. Everyone who was informed knew that the 350 million pound a week "saving' was total bullocks and Farrage himself (the total wanker he is) disowned the claim as soon the vote was done. However I think I am safe in saying that many people who could be bothered to fact check or didn't listen to the news actually believed it. Thats the sad part really.

First I saw this:

European Parliament Member and CETA Critic José Bové Denied Entry to Canada
A Response by Global Justice Now

LONDON - In response to CETA critic and MEP José Bové being denied entry to Canada, Nick Dearden director of Global Justice Now said:

“This is yet another example of how serious a challenge to our democracy CETA is, and how desperate governments are to avoid scrutiny. When even elected representatives are barred from properly criticising CETA, there can be no doubt that deals like CETA are a direct attack on our democracy”.

“After a public outcry has brought the EU-US trade deal TTIP to its knees, governments are taking increasingly drastic measures to protect its Canadian counterpart CETA. It’s paramount that MEPs now stand up for our rights and stop this undemocratic deal.”

You can read Global Justice Now's briefing on CETA here.

http://commondreams.org/newswire/20...and-ceta-critic-jose-bove-denied-entry-canada

Then this happened:

Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Common Dreams
Following Public Pressure, José Bové, Noted Anti-Globalization Activist, Allowed to Stay in Canada
Bové, a member of Eureopean Parliament, was detained for several hours at Montreal airport Tuesday; then forced back to France Wednesday
Andrea Germanos, staff writer

josebovedeniedentrytocanada.jpg

MEP José Bové, who was held for several hours at Montreal's airport Tuesday and then told to leave the country on Wednesday. (Photo: Eurodéputés Europe Ecologie/flickr/cc)

Update: Canadian authorities have reversed their position, and will allow anti-globalization activist and member of European Parliament José Bové to stay in the country for seven days. According to a statement from the Council of Canadians, the decision from the Canada Border Services Agency came "[f]ollowing intense public pressure."

Bové, for his part, tweeted, "We can finally talk about CETA!"

[...]

http://commondreams.org/news/2016/1...oted-anti-globalization-activist-allowed-stay

Jose Bove represented or worked for a farmer union in the past, I think. The French have a rural nostalgia.

They felt threatened by Jose Bove. Public attention can influence political decisions.

Jose Bove in action:

Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Common Dreams
Impacted Communities Take Fight Against Dakota Access to Corporate Heads
Protesters from oil-impacted communities around the country are descending on Houston, Texas, for prayer action at Dakota Access Pipeline company offices

dakota-access-protest_1.jpg

Indigenous activist J.R. American Horse marches in a protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota last month. (Photo: Will Kincaid/AP)

Activists from oil-impacted communities around the country are descending on Energy Transfer Partners' corporate offices in Houston, Texas, to protest the company's Dakota Access Pipeline and other controversial pipeline projects.

"Together we press forward, rise, and demand a clean world for future generations in our struggle to survive."
—Yvette Arellano,
Texas Environmental Justice
Advocacy Services

Despite ongoing, growing protests against the Dakota Access Pipeline and the federal government's repeated requests that Energy Transfer Partners halt its construction, the company has reiterated its intention to continue building the pipeline, undaunted.

Wednesday's action is a part of nationwide protests against the corporate powers behind Dakota Access. The demonstration will see members from communities affected by the fossil fuel industry from Richmond, Calif., Chicago, Ill., the Gulf Coast, and others joining local Texas organizers to voice their collective opposition to Energy Transfer Partners' pipeline projects, and to push for a just transition to renewable energy.

"Energy Transfer Partners has drawn national attention for driving both the Dakota Access Pipeline and the equally controversial Trans Pecos Pipeline, that has also violated the rights of Indigenous peoples in West Texas, and poses significant threat to the water and land for many communities in Texas," Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, an organizer of the demonstration, noted in a press statement.

The protesters will gather for a prayer action that is set to begin at 1:30pm Central Time.

[...]

http://commondreams.org/news/2016/1...e-fight-against-dakota-access-corporate-heads

Bringing the fight to their turf. The public prayer might be a great PR coup.

Texas, @Kgal!!!

"Houston, We Have a Problem" (Apollo 13)

Wanted to share about this thing I watched as part of my psychology course, connected to social psychology and the psychology of groups. It was a video featuring kids in the North of England that were involved in an initiative for Asian and White communities where traditionally there had been a lot of segregated living and communities. In an effort to bring them together they were involved in a project to recreate a mini UN. representing different countries within the UN. They had a specific problem to answer (Afghanistan) and they were separated into small groups for each country represented. They then went away and researched about the history culture logistics etc. of their particular country and then came together to state their position in relation to (in this case Afghanistan) and any action or resolutions to take.
I cried when I saw this because for one it was so neatly done, the whole thing was taken really seriously, the conference hall looked like the real mackoy with proper conference hall set up, mikes, proper country labels, water jugs etc. and the kids all looking their squeaky best. The kids that had not mixed together or perhaps been treated so seriously in such an elegant way enjoyed the process and had a really stimulating learning experience...Then also because I was thinking, ohh my god, these bright wonderful kids, when they grow up and see what's around them, and think back on the learning and essence of that experience, what disappointment they may feel. I don't know if this makes any sense it's hard to describe with out showing you the actual video.

"Energy Transfer Partners has drawn national attention for driving both the Dakota Access Pipeline and the equally controversial Trans Pecos Pipeline, that has also violated the rights of Indigenous peoples in West Texas, and poses significant threat to the water and land for many communities in Texas," Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, an organizer of the demonstration, noted in a press statement.

The protesters will gather for a prayer action that is set to begin at 1:30pm Central Time.

[...]

http://commondreams.org/news/2016/1...e-fight-against-dakota-access-corporate-heads

Bringing the fight to their turf. The public prayer might be a great PR coup.

Texas, @Kgal!!!

"Houston, We Have a Problem" (Apollo 13)

Thanks for the heads up. If I lived closer I'd go out there to give support. I wonder if @Wyote is nearby.

Wanted to share about this thing I watched as part of my psychology course, connected to social psychology and the psychology of groups. It was a video featuring kids in the North of England that were involved in an initiative for Asian and White communities where traditionally there had been a lot of segregated living and communities. In an effort to bring them together they were involved in a project to recreate a mini UN. representing different countries within the UN. They had a specific problem to answer (Afghanistan) and they were separated into small groups for each country represented. They then went away and researched about the history culture logistics etc. of their particular country and then came together to state their position in relation to (in this case Afghanistan) and any action or resolutions to take.
I cried when I saw this because for one it was so neatly done, the whole thing was taken really seriously, the conference hall looked like the real mackoy with proper conference hall set up, mikes, proper country labels, water jugs etc. and the kids all looking their squeaky best. The kids that had not mixed together or perhaps been treated so seriously in such an elegant way enjoyed the process and had a really stimulating learning experience...Then also because I was thinking, ohh my god, these bright wonderful kids, when they grow up and see what's around them, and think back on the learning and essence of that experience, what disappointment they may feel. I don't know if this makes any sense it's hard to describe with out showing you the actual video.

I get it. It sounds like a wonderful way to increase awareness and diversity knowledge without having to actually go to the birth place of those cultures. These kids will make excellent mediators and peace promoters when they grow into adults....if given the chance.

Brightmoon,
"The other thing that disturbs is how uninformed people are...we saw this in the Brexit vote when many people did not understand what they were voting for...
everyone who was informed knew that the 350 million pounds a week "savings" was total bullocks...and Farrange disowned the claim as soon as the vote was done".

Yeah right! You knew better than the 60% or so percent, and you live in Canada.

Like the English explicative by the way.

.Soundbites
Soundbites
Soundbites.

Thanks for the heads up. If I lived closer I'd go out there to give support. I wonder if @Wyote is nearby.

I did not mean that you should go there. But maybe that you will see it on TV or hear a neighbor talking about it.

Last edited:
Keep posting whatever you all feel pertains to the thread.
I’m only here sparsely lately due to my physical and emotional/spiritual health.
It died down a bit yesterday...not sure why...we shall see how today goes.

Please post freely in my absence, and thank you.

"The world is empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers and cities; but to know someone who thinks and feels with us and who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden"

Johann Wolfgang Van Goethe

I wonder if @Wyote is nearby.

Sorry, I never saw or received a notification for this and just now saw it by chance while browsing around. Thanks for thinking of me :)

Thursday, October 13, 2016
Common Dreams
'We're Dying Like Flies': Sick, Retired Coal Miners Betrayed by GOP Senators
Right-wing senators are blocking bill that would provide pensions for retired workers suffering from years spent in coal mines

coal-miners.jpg

Many retired coal miners are suffering a slow and painful death from black lung and other chronic illnesses, while the ailing coal industry still pays its executives multi-million-dollar bonuses. (Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

"The country must not turn its back on coal miners," right-wing Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell told constituents in eastern Kentucky last week.

Yet coal miners—many "facing a slow death" from black lung and other deadly illnesses from a lifetime of mining coal—say that McConnell and other Senate Republicans are doing exactly that, the Associated Press reports.

McConnell has been repeatedly blocking a bill that would provide a pension plan and health benefits to about 13,000 retired coal miners in his home state.

[...]

http://commondreams.org/news/2016/1...ick-retired-coal-miners-betrayed-gop-senators

In Kiruna, the northernmost town of Sweden, they are going to move a town from one place to another to accommodate for the expansion of the local mine. The American psychopathic mindset would not care if the mine were to collapse and swallow the entire town. Here, we treat miners better. (Or Sweden's top psychopaths only pretend here just as well, they just face greater obstacles to carry out their grand plans.)