[INFJ] - Horror Stories: INFJ Pursuing ENTP | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Horror Stories: INFJ Pursuing ENTP

blueman32

Dec 24, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
I pursued an ENTP female (21 years old) for the past 14 months. We had great times (2 months in, we almost had sex, but as she lie on top of me naked, I declined her because it didn't feel right), and we had bad times (we got into a fight 3 months in that ended her declaring she didn't want a relationship with me).

Lately, everything was going well. She was spilling out her soul and all of her thoughts to me, and I embraced them. I returned the favor. On paper, we are PERFECT for each other. Last Wednesday night, we went out on a date together, it was WONDERFUL. I asked about a second date, and she shot me down. Hard. "No romantic compatibility." We hung out only 4 friggin' times. Once we almost had sex, once she had a concussion, once we went on a 30 minutes drive, and then the date. There was NO CHANCE to build romantic compatibility. Damn her being a 21 year old Thinker.

Any other INFJ have a horror story about pursuing an ENTP?

Please, it would be rather therapeutic for me.

So if it's okay to ask. How old are you? You alluded to her age being a problem.

So if it's okay to ask. How old are you? You alluded to her age being a problem.

Ah, I'm a little over it already.

I'm 23, she's 21. I believe, between the ages of 18-25, psychologically and maturity-wise EVERY year is more than a year.

My boyfriend is an ENTP/INTJ. He falls somewhere in between depending on what kind of situations he's in. On paper he and I were perfect for each other. Friends for 10 years, spent a lot of time together, so when it came down to it and went on a few days he shot me down hard. Fast forward five years and we have been together a year now and everything is amazing. Maybe you two are incompatible at the moment because you both have growing up to do. That was the case for my boyfriend and I.

My boyfriend is an ENTP/INTJ. He falls somewhere in between depending on what kind of situations he's in. On paper he and I were perfect for each other. Friends for 10 years, spent a lot of time together, so when it came down to it and went on a few days he shot me down hard. Fast forward five years and we have been together a year now and everything is amazing. Maybe you two are incompatible at the moment because you both have growing up to do. That was the case for my boyfriend and I.

Yeah, I understand that.

I just find it so disappointing. I never really built THAT much of an emotional attachment to her, but on paper, we ARE perfect. Yes, we have similar interests, but we also have similar (almost identical) views on life, philosophy, God, similar ambitions, want the same things out of life, etc.

14 months is 5% of my entire LIFE. I can't spend any more time on her right now. I've told her, "look, I tried the 'just friends' thing with you, but with a heavy heart, I have to say it's a role I cannot play in your life, which sucks because I genuinely REALLY like you as a person."

As she essentially told me that we wanted the SAME exact things out of life (saying "I JUST had this conversation with my best friend last night and I was telling her the same exact thing"), I told her "and this is why you saying we aren't romantically compatible confuses me." She replied, "there are a LOT of girls that want the same things too."

At this point, I've sort of given her the boot from my life. She has my phone number, and we are still friends on Facebook, but I won't be contacting her. I made my intentions clear, the ball is completely in her court.

I just have trouble understanding how we go on a date, both have a WONDERFUL time (lots of laughs, jokes, it was the best first date I've ever been on -- I even remember telling myself 'if it doesn't workout with this girl, God she's cool, I wish I was capable of being her friend') and then I ask her for a 2nd date, I get a decline. Very confusing to me.

She's the most definite ENTP you'd find. Never would I EVER doubt her type. Very strong Fe too.

I'm an INFJ/INTJ, depending on the situation.

She was, apparently, chasing the same guy for a couple of years, and was coming to terms with "it just isn't going to happen." She went to Latin America with a friend for the month of January, and she told me it changed her, she felt like it was rehab. She got a new perspective on things (especially this boy) and how "chasing" someone is ridiculous. When I told her how I felt, she told me I should do the same program as her and it'll "help me" like it helped her.

I do believe this trip helped her out, but I don't think this trip gave her a sudden insight on "this is how relationships are SUPPOSED to be." We hung out 4 times. First time, we almost had sex (I rejected her b/c I sensed that I was being used as a piece of man meat and she had feelings for her "best friend" who effectively friend-zoned her), second time she had a concussion, third time we drove around for half an hour, and then the date (which she told me she was unaware was a 'date' despite my calling it so AT LEAST 3 times to her -- it also ended after only slightly an hour because she had a thesis meeting). I don't think anywhere in that was there an opportunity to build these "sparks" that would create the "romantic compatibility" she says we don't have.

Just going to go on living life and see where the Universe will take me. If it was meant to be, it'll be. I'm ending the chapter on her though. If she wants to pick up the pen and write some more, that's up to her.

Ah, I'm a little over it already.

I'm 23, she's 21. I believe, between the ages of 18-25, psychologically and maturity-wise EVERY year is more than a year.

Im sorry but you are saying you were separated by only a few years? Ok your proagotive but can iask what you think of guys that have no issue with someone 20 years younger maybe more? I am interested if you have any judgements in this regard.

Also this is my own thoughts on the matter. It is only my opinion that the not having sex thing when you were literally so close to it probably was part of the issue. I could be wrong and every situation is different but.. you did say she was naked laying on top of you and...nothing?

Sounds like you've worked it all out in your head already, now it's just time to bounce back. Aye for INFJ resilience! Lol :)

Im sorry but you are saying you were separated by only a few years? Ok your proagotive but can iask what you think of guys that have no issue with someone 20 years younger maybe more? I am interested if you have any judgements in this regard.

Also this is my own thoughts on the matter. It is only my opinion that the not having sex thing when you were literally so close to it probably was part of the issue. I could be wrong and every situation is different but.. you did say she was naked laying on top of you and...nothing?

Every situation is different, but generally (I actually got in an argument over this online a few days ago), to say a 20 year old knows EXACTLY what she wants in a relationship and what would make a long lasting relationship is kind of laughable. The guy argued "she's an adult" which I replied, "so is an 18 year old....so? There are 40 year olds that aren't mature enough to be in a relationship!"

As for the sex thing, there was a lot of "noise," if you will, before the act that caused me to reject her. I'd still do it again (and I told her this when we had the "breakup" talk). She snuck me into her room so her roommates didn't see/hear me, she wanted me to be quiet, we were JUST getting to know each other, she practically told me she had STRONG feelings for this guy who she called her "best friend" who VERY clearly friend-zoned her, I was leaving for South Africa in 3 days (and would remain there for 4 months), and she had to sneak me OUT as well.

The night, she claims "wasn't a bad night" (though I am almost certain that she was a little upset over the rejection). We still slept together, made out, cuddled, and fooled around the next morning. I explained to her the reason why I wasn't going to have sex with her was because I REALLY, genuinely liked her, and a "one night stand" with her was NOT what I was looking for. I felt like a one night stand.

I think, in the future, she'll remember the night and think, "goddamn, that guy gave HIMSELF blue balls. Why'd he do that to himself?" Perhaps she'll find a deeper meaning in it (she posted a LOT of questions on PerC that weren't DIRECTLY about the night, but asked questions like "I don't understand why guys think that girls are incapable of having sex on the first date. It's the 21st century! Be a little progressive!")

Like they say in the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm "like Gandhi."

Depends on the guy. You know, or at least you've heard, that women are more mature than men regardless of age right? (So long as the gap is about 5 years) I'd say that's because we're allowed to talk and share our feelings. Men aren't so much, and even if they are they don't think they are. The whole "men shouldn't cry" in a mans mind turns into men shouldn't share their feelings at all. So they suppress their crap to a point of getting angry and its not like female angry were we just yell and scream, men want to physically fight. So while we, women, have had an experience of not only thinking about our feelings and takes on life but also mulling them around with others and getting their opinions on the subject and bettering ourselves with communication, men have decided that their either right or they need to combat their issues till they are the winner. The really angry ones, I've found, love talking to women. Though they also connect conversation with sex to which I'd say, who wouldn't in their position and their outlook on life? So in that sense it is better for an older man to date a younger woman.

Now on the point of 20 years younger, it depends. Is the guy really really immature? Would you find him socializing with people half his age usually? Then yeah, it'd be the idea of maturity. Otherwise, its more of a fathering thing. Like, "Oh! Her mind is still malleable and I can teach her things!" which is never the truth ever about anyone. Just weird little things men think *shrug*

Depends on the guy. You know, or at least you've heard, that women are more mature than men regardless of age right? (So long as the gap is about 5 years) I'd say that's because we're allowed to talk and share our feelings. Men aren't so much, and even if they are they don't think they are. The whole "men shouldn't cry" in a mans mind turns into men shouldn't share their feelings at all. So they suppress their crap to a point of getting angry and its not like female angry were we just yell and scream, men want to physically fight. So while we, women, have had an experience of not only thinking about our feelings and takes on life but also mulling them around with others and getting their opinions on the subject and bettering ourselves with communication, men have decided that their either right or they need to combat their issues till they are the winner. The really angry ones, I've found, love talking to women. Though they also connect conversation with sex to which I'd say, who wouldn't in their position and their outlook on life? So in that sense it is better for an older man to date a younger woman.

Now on the point of 20 years younger, it depends. Is the guy really really immature? Would you find him socializing with people half his age usually? Then yeah, it'd be the idea of maturity. Otherwise, its more of a fathering thing. Like, "Oh! Her mind is still malleable and I can teach her things!" which is never the truth ever about anyone. Just weird little things men think *shrug*

I'm an INFJ though, and I'm well aware of the "man box." I've told her EXACTLY how I feel about her. So in my particular situation, this doesn't apply. :)

I'm an INFJ though, and I'm well aware of the "man box." I've told her EXACTLY how I feel about her. So in my particular situation, this doesn't apply. :)

Oh I didn't mean you lol I was just answering that dudes question.

Oh I didn't mean you lol I was just answering that dudes question.

I know!

HAHA it just adds to my point. I'm probably the most mature, understands his feelings guy that she has come across.

I don't get it.

She has even told me things like, "I don't know what it is, but I am not comfortable sharing this stuff.....only with you." -- Several times

Frustration. Confusion.

@ Don...Maturity is a key point for you clearly. Can you explain further what maturity means to you?

Ok my opinion again. This turned out the way it was going to. You are not a bad person, she is not as well. She just decided she isnt interested in pursuing that type of relationship with you. End of story. Its doubtful she ever will be. You are now in the friend box and will never get out. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

I know!

HAHA it just adds to my point. I'm probably the most mature, understands his feelings guy that she has come across.

I don't get it.

She has even told me things like, "I don't know what it is, but I am not comfortable sharing this stuff.....only with you." -- Several times

Frustration. Confusion.

Mmm, you know... there's something about you she obviously doesn't like. That is the only reason why women reject men, why anyone rejects anyone really. And while she tried to have a one night stand with you that you said no to and she still likes talking to you it does make it difficult to figure out however she did try to have a one night stand while telling you about this guy she was getting over, right? So more than likely you were just her rebound, just a cock that was in the room. It doesn't necessarily mean she's attracted to you, you really just could have been there. I had the same thing happen to me, completely without my knowledge which was the only thing I had a problem with. She used me for sex, and I wanted it to happen again cause she was really fun to watch *smirks while remembering* lol but she just needed a lay. She picked me cause she heard I was good, and I am excellent *shines* but she didn't tell me what she was doing before hand and I did have a problem with that, as I should. If I knew it was just gonna be a one time thing I would have made her work harder to making me orgasm, lol which didn't happen smh... But she wasn't attracted to me, I was just there with a good, great, sexual reputation. I'd say, if she likes talking to you but she doesn't want to be with you, it's probably that :/ sorry man.

Ok my opinion again. This turned out the way it was going to. You are not a bad person, she is not as well. She just decided she isnt interested in pursuing that type of relationship with you. End of story. Its doubtful she ever will be. You are now in the friend box and will never get out. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

I don't think the world or this situation is as black and white as you think it is.

EDIT: That wasn't meant to sound aggressive.

I don't think the world or this situation is as black and white as you think it is.

Fair enough it may not be. But also consider you are hearing something you don't want to and are ignoring it as such.

Mmm, you know... there's something about you she obviously doesn't like. That is the only reason why women reject men, why anyone rejects anyone really. And while she tried to have a one night stand with you that you said no to and she still likes talking to you it does make it difficult to figure out however she did try to have a one night stand while telling you about this guy she was getting over, right? So more than likely you were just her rebound, just a cock that was in the room. It doesn't necessarily mean she's attracted to you, you really just could have been there. I had the same thing happen to me, completely without my knowledge which was the only thing I had a problem with. She used me for sex, and I wanted it to happen again cause she was really fun to watch *smirks while remembering* lol but she just needed a lay. She picked me cause she heard I was good, and I am excellent *shines* but she didn't tell me what she was doing before hand and I did have a problem with that, as I should. If I knew it was just gonna be a one time thing I would have made her work harder to making me orgasm, lol which didn't happen smh... But she wasn't attracted to me, I was just there with a good, great, sexual reputation. I'd say, she likes talking to you but she doesn't want to be with you, it's probably that :/ sorry man.

No, it's EXACTLY that.

Thing is there is NO way that she talks to other guys (and even her closest lady friends) like she talks to me.

I don't know if I was a rebound, per se. She didn't explicitly tell me that she liked this guy, I just sort of knew. She was texting when I was there, I was setting up her laptop so we could watch a movie.

She apologized, "sorry, I'm talking to my friend. He's the only one I've told about you. He's telling me that there are two girls that just told him that they always had a crush on him." Her face said: "ughhhh......holding back the tears." I just knew. And later (a couple of months ago), I told her that that was one of the main reasons I said 'no,' and she said, "wait I actually TOLD you about that?" I responded, "your face told me everything."

I, too, have a reputation of being "VERY good" in bed (giving a girl an orgasm was a satisfactory performance, getting her to squirt was a good performance). I don't do one night stands for this reason.

I believe her when she says "no romantic compatibility." I believe that she doesn't "feel" it for me (like she said). She wants the butterflies, sparks, chemistry, fireworks, all of that. I don't think that has to come right away, and actually I believe that it makes for a healthier relationship when it DOESN'T come right away. All I was trying to tell her "don't you see the POTENTIAL?"

She and I just have different philosophies on this whole "relationship" and "love" thing.

But I also believe that she didn't give it a chance. The last thing I told her was "you aren't wrong, but I can't say you're right."

Last edited:
No, it's EXACTLY that.

Thing is there is NO way that she talks to other guys (and even her closest lady friends) like she talks to me.

I don't know if I was a rebound, per se. She didn't explicitly tell me that she liked this guy, I just sort of knew. She was texting when I was there, I was setting up her laptop so we could watch a movie.

She apologized, "sorry, I'm talking to my friend. He's the only one I've told about you. He's telling me that there are two girls that just told him that they always had a crush on him." Her face said: "ughhhh......holding back the tears." I just knew. And later (a couple of months ago), I told her that that was one of the main reasons I said 'no,' and she said, "wait I actually TOLD you about that?" I responded, "your face told me everything."

I, too, have a reputation of being "VERY good" in bed (giving a girl an orgasm was a satisfactory performance, getting her to squirt was a good performance). I don't do one night stands for this reason.

I believe her when she says "no romantic compatibility." I believe that she doesn't "feel" it for me (like she said). She wants the butterflies, sparks, chemistry, fireworks, all of that. I don't think that has to come right away, and I was trying to tell her "don't you see the POTENTIAL?"

She and I just have different philosophies on this whole "relationship" and "love" thing.

But I also believe that she didn't give it a chance. The last thing I told her was "you aren't wrong, but I can't say you're right."

Lol I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. If you are, women watch a lot of porn. Like they all watch a lot of porn lol however none of them talk about sex still, still!!! So they get to that point of what a man is suppose to look like, what they think attracts them and other various sexual stupidities like shaving their vagina -which no one should ever do ever!!! With all the porn, which alone can completely ruin a person sexually, and even more so with that romantic movie crap most of them have some really stupid ideas about love, who they should be in love with, how sex is suppose to be. Lol Miley Cyrus's performance on MTV awards for something is a prime example of that. It just reminds me of an 11 year old boy that's watched a lot of porn but doesn't really know how sex works yet. And women are like that, with not just sex but relationships too. I'm sure a lot of men are like that too, though they just wont get laid. Guys are a dime a dozen, open vag, now that's a rarity. :D

Lol I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. If you are, women watch a lot of porn. Like they all watch a lot of porn lol however none of them talk about sex still, still!!! So they get to that point of what a man is suppose to look like, what they think attracts them and other various sexual stupidities like shaving their vagina -which no one should ever do ever!!! With all the porn, which alone can completely ruin a person sexually, and even more so with that romantic movie crap most of them have some really stupid ideas about love, who they should be in love with, how sex is suppose to be. Lol Miley Cyrus's performance on MTV awards for something is a prime example of that. It just reminds me of an 11 year old boy that's watched a lot of porn but doesn't really know how sex works yet. And women are like that, with not just sex but relationships too. I'm sure a lot of men are like that too, though they just wont get laid. Guys are a dime a dozen, open vag, now that's a rarity. :D

I actually wrote a post about EXACTLY this on PerC (I can PM you the link if you'd like -- just don't make any mention of this website or knowing me....she's active on PerC).

The idea of "sparks" and "chemistry" is very Hollywood. Most long-lasting relationships are, indeed, built off of friendships and commonalities -- "sparks" and "chemistry" should come down the line. If they come right away, you have the recipe for a fling, NOT a relationship (and I have noticed that this girl, in particular, actually calls her 'flings' "romantic relationships.")