is such a boss bitch.
Donor
Oct 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
i haz flu, maybe?

monday night i went to bed with chills, cold sweats, severe body ache, headache, blah, blah, basically, all the symptoms of flu. tuesday i had a fever and dizziness. the aching continued. i googled OTC meds in my kinda delerious state and found a homeopathic (i was not aware that it was homeopathic at the time) remedy that covered most of my symptoms. after that boy brought the remedy home, i read the insert and was pretty sure i wasted twenty bucks.

it has duck liver as an active ingredient.

last night i figured i'd give my snake oil a shot because i really didn't have anything better to do. the thing is after taking this stuff as directed (and increasing fluids) i think i'm almost better. wtf? this has never happens. i really don't know if my immune system just decided to suddenly start working properly for once in my 28 years or if this homeopathic remedy actually werked. well, thar be my story.

do you have any experience with homeopathic remedies? good? bad? indifferent?

what is your opinion of homeopathic remedies in general?

Drink hot lemon juice straight. As in, pour some lemon juice in a mug and nuke it. And then gradually drink it.

i haz lemon juice, and i am also bored. will this make me toss my cookies?

No, but it will do away with a lot of the Cold aspects of the flu. Additionally, you'll notice your sinuses won't feel so "tight".

I mean it MIGHT make you toss them, if you drink it too quickly :)p)

Reactions: christmas
i feel particularly gud now. my sinuses do feel quite relaxed.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Where does one even find duck liver?

Someone once told me that laying down and pouring peroxide in one ear prevented getting a fever.
Which is crazy talk.
(It didn't work.)

But I have it on good authority that drinking a hot toddy and then passing out will get rid of a fever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sloe Djinn
I tend to view homeopathic medicine suspiciously. That is not to say it it useless, but I believe a majority of its effectiveness relies on the placebo effect. To be honest, I find the placebo effect to be the most crucial aspect of any remedy regardless though. It is simply a matter of degree between homeopathic and formal medicine.

Whenever I feel craptastic, I take this within the first 12 - 24 hours:

Vitamin C (1000 - 2000 mgs)
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Green Tea Extract (800 - 1000 mgs)
Grape Seed Extract

...then I eat a lot of raw vegetables, drink a lot of water, take a piss and go to bed early. Sleep for 10+ hours.

That usually fixes it 90% of the time.

Where does one even find duck liver?

from what google told me, it is from a Muscovy duck. they make this remedy in France, i think. i kinda feel badly about consuming duck liver, but it is a very small amount, and i certainly couldn't taste it.

I tend to view homeopathic medicine suspiciously. That is not to say it it useless, but I believe a majority of its effectiveness relies on the placebo effect. To be honest, I find the placebo effect to be the most crucial aspect of any remedy regardless though. It is simply a matter of degree between homeopathic and formal medicine.

i used to think homepathic remedies relied solely on the placebo effect, but now i am not so sure.

for example, i certainly didn't think that flu remedy we bought would work, but i am better. for all i know, the increased fluids did the trick, heh.

Hot apple cider vinegar with honey can help a sore throat, as well as help "clean you out" as my Mom used to say. Similar to lemon water, I think. Just make sure you don't use more than a few tablespoons to 8 ounces of water. Otherwise it's too acidic.

At a guess, i'd suggest you look in a duck, seriously though i share Dara O'briain's view on "homeopathy"

[video=youtube;DHVVKAKWXcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVVKAKWXcg[/video]
Bahh I knew it was only a matter of time until someone pointed that out!

What I've found actually works:

Vitamin C
Zinc
Honey

other than that I can't claim much.

For a cold I take asprin or it is bad I take the tylenol version of nyquil/dayquil and drink water. I also try to sleep more.

Generally though, the asprin will fix whatever hurts.

Not sure about the pug thing... why, exactly?

but

If you have the flu, and it is bothering your sinuses, one of the best remedies ever invented is a Neti Pot.

They are absolutely revolting, and you will want to make sure no one sees you using it, and the very concept might make you toss your cookies, and I don't even know if it qualifies as homeopathic, because I am not sure of the exact definition of homeopathic.

But, basically, with a Neti Pot, you use a little teapot to pour STERILIZED water up your nose until it comes out of your mouth. (look, I said it was revolting. It really is.) It does, however, do wonders for colds, flus and allergies and you will feel a lot better afterwards. Just make sure you follow the directions so you do not give yourself an infection -- clean the pot and use sterilized water.

I am generally suspicious of homeopathic remedies, especially ones that are expensive or aggressively marketed. I have, however, heard some good things about a Chinese herb called Pe Min Khan Wan, for colds and sinus problems. I have friends that report good results using that.

Also, I find that encouraging probiotics, which you can get easily from yogurt and a high-fiber diet, can generally help your immune system and help keep you from getting a cold or the flu. Unfortunately, once you have one, probiotics don't help.

P.S. I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
MUCHOS JALAPENOS and water throughout the day. Whiskey before bed. This helps me to zap the cold/flu.

Jalapenos are a natural anti-inflammatory and obviously a decongestant. So while you can O.D. on OTC meds, you can't on jalapenos. Whiskey to quiet your cough and help you to relax/rest.