Home School Vs. Standard Education | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Home School Vs. Standard Education

i used to be against it but now I'm all for it. Unless the parents are idiots. I'd say that's the exception, not the rule though. I think most kids should be home schooled actually.
Why's so?

I think homeschooling is awesome if you have the ability, education, time, and financial means to do so. I feel like it would give kids more flexibility to develop other talents and interests, since kids who are homeschooled don't spend as much time doing busywork, in class, etc. This is because teaching a whole classroom takes a lot more time and effort and takes longer-- and yes this is based on personal experience. Children who are homeschooled properly and responsibly tend to be extremely creative and talented I find, and this is something I really value. They have so much more freedom.

I have always been really interested in homeschooling my future children someday, however, that may or may not happen depending on my schedule, job, income, husband's opinion, etc. Who knows what my life will look like at that point. lol My ultimate goal is to start my own home-based business though, so I suppose it could be a possibility. I also love teaching. I'm certainly not counting on it, but it would be cool if I did have the means to homeschool. :)

I have been homeschooled for six years. At some point in my life, I had to deal with family and mental health issues, so I had to drop out of school, which was just another source of anxiety. Home schooling was not popular in my country, but it was an option for disabled students. This type of education encouraged me to explore certain aspects I was interested at the time without having anything to do with the traditional subjects taught in school. Unfortunately, on the other hand, mostly because of my psychological disability, but also due to the different approach I got used, the university experience has been much different that I would have expected, as the result of the fact studying and acquiring information individually became the routine and the way I had to adapt to the requirements of the professors was a real challenge. Another shock for me was the bullying I had to endure from some of them, due to my particular issues, but not only, I am also aware of their behavior; a lesson that reminded me how much "respect" people have in those instituations and that instilling fear is how they(the authorities) operate to ensure control.
Overall, I would not imagine myself not being homeschooled despite the way it is denigrated by others. The educational system always has alternative paths, which should be explored by the psychologist in more detail in order to seek some improvement. The Waldorf education is a good example and I should check in.

Reactions: Bellosome
Hmm.. But forcing social interactions can sometimes lead to anxiety. Isn't it? There are other ways for them to interact too, like playgrounds,play groups or parties.

Withdrawal from socialization leads to more anxiety, not less. That's what I learned on my own example. Playgrounds may be fine for young children but even very young children have an awareness of social circles they belong to and can get a feeling for whether they belong in a group or not, and they also understand ostracism, and they will know that they are an odd one out if most kids in a playgroup already know one another from school, for instance.

As a current professor and former home schooler...

Trust me. You'll get out of it what you put into it (same as anything). All in all though...I find that it can be a great way to foster and invest in young minds. That is If you have the patience for it.

That is all.

As a current professor and former home schooler...

Trust me. You'll get out of it what you put into it (same as anything). All in all though...I find that it can be a great way to foster and invest in young minds. That is If you have the patience for it.

That is all.
The less funding for public education, the lower our taxes!

Reactions: MrSquared