Help with INFJ- INTP relationship advice

ReiRei

Jun 30, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Type 6
Hey guys,

I've never asked for advice like this before, but hoping that fellow INFJ can help me out with their opinion on the matter, I'm taking a shot. So, I've started dating my INTP boyfriend about 2 months ago. Before that, we were the kind of friends that could talk to each other about anything, even though we've known each other for less than a year. He's my first relationship, while he has been in several.
Lately, I feel as though we're hitting a rough patch. I feel that he doesn't understand me and he says the same about me. We've never had that problem before; we would talk for hours and hours about anything and everything and even though we sometimes saw things differently, we could always understand each other's POV. I could say that we were fascinated by the other's view on things. And now we have... silence. And usually that silence comes from me. Because, lately, he makes me feel that everything I do is something that bothers him. He's constantly implying that he liked me better a few months ago, because I would talk more, would not get so easily hurt, would always come up with interesting topics, etc. If I say I'll call him in an hour and I call him after an hour and 15 minutes, he says I don't keep my word (that has happened only once). If I get angry at him for not telling me what he wanted (like, instead of saying clearly what he wanted, he went up to his room and started sulking), why did I get angry when it was my fault to begin with? If I say I want to meet up, why don't I also say where I want us to go? And I no longer know if what he's saying is right and that I have changed. Because I now feel hurt because of and want to hide behind some walls. I know that INTPs are not so big on compliments or on expressing their feelings through words, and even though I sometimes hunger for that, I understand him and do my best to not make him feel like he has to do something that he is not comfortable with.

This month has been a bit hard for me, because I just finished University and I had a lot of exams and stress to deal with. But I did my best to not make him feel left out; I would always meet him and, even though I hate staying up too late before an exam, I would stay with him until early morning. Also, I tried to keep the stress all to myself, because I didn't want him to think that I'm so easily defeated by a few exams. But I wanted him to be a bit more suportive...instead he started telling me the things that were bothering him about me. And I tried to be more careful: never change our plans, always call him on time...

But I don't know what to do now. Before we started dating, he dated one of my colleagues. He broke it off with her, but now she's always at his place. This week she stayed there for 6 consecutive days. He says there's nothing between them and he's just helping her because she has some family issues atm, but she's hitting on him a lot, and I don't find that too pleasant. I really don't know if he cares about me at all if after I told him I'm bothered and I feel hurt by their hanging around so much, that same night I find out that she's staying over again.

I would really apreciate some advice, because I feel like I'm losing my mind and I hate that. Because of this, I'm afraid I might soon start to hate him, and that would be a shame, because until recently, things have been going beautifully between us.

Last edited:
i know nothing about infj-intp relationships... i'm writing solely based on your descriptions...

Because, lately, he makes me feel that everything I do is something that bothers him. He's constantly implying that he liked me better a few months ago
life is too short for any of this... if he's implying that he liked you better before than he probably did and he just doesn't have the balls to say it outright... you deserve better!!!

This week she stayed there for 6 consecutive days. He says there's nothing between them and he's just helping her because she has some family issues atm, but she's hitting on him a lot, and I don't find that too pleasant.
this makes me cringe and this alone would make me drop him like a hot potato... it's only been a couple months... he sounds like a jerk who likes to play mind games to me :sorry:

Try to talk thing through with him. Tell him what is going on and that you need his support on things. Plus I think you should try and find that spark you guys had when you where friends. You guys have my total support!!!

[MENTION=9191]ReiRei[/MENTION] Imagine you are one of us, looking at your post. What would you advise that person to do based upon what's written?

[MENTION=9191]ReiRei[/MENTION] Imagine you are one of us, looking at your post. What would you advise that person to do based upon what's written?

Hey guys,

I've never asked for advice like this before, but hoping that fellow INFJ can help me out with their opinion on the matter...
Socionics has helped me quite a bit for understanding inter-type relationships.

To make things short, INFJ and INTP are in what's called "benefit" relations, where INFJ is acting like a benefactor to INTP. How these relations work is that INTP is able to tell INFJ interesting things, clarify INFJ's ideas, sometimes they can tell something INFJ is unconsciously thinking about but cannot fully voice -- from this comes INFJ's fascination with INTP. On the other end, INFJ is motivating and energizing INTP with their auxiliary Fe, so INTP feels attracted to INFJ because INFJ easily does something that INTP is incapable of. I've heard INTP say that in INFJ they see someone who can forward their ideas.

Here is a full description of "benefit" relations. If you're going to be looking through these, keep in mind that introverted types flip their j/p letter in this typology (INFJ becomes IEI/INFp and INTP becomes LII/INTj): Intertype relationships

Hey, guys ^^.

Thank you so much for your prompt and very to-the-point responses. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer you earlier, but I've been a little bit busy. Needless to say...things did not work out in the end.

I still can't quite figure out what happened, but I have a feeling that it's better this way. I do think that "mind games" were being played at one point, and I regarded that as an insult to my intelligence. Just because I understand someone's POV doesn't mean I agree with it too and just because I trust someone doesn't mean that I'm naive. I wish some people would realize that. It's plain common sense.

Makes me wonder if the stereotype of INFJs rarely being truly understood by others is actually true.

Have you ever had such a problem?

Are INTP's typically players, because I am having trouble with one right now. I thought they are known for their complete honesty.
They're known for not caring. That may or may not come out as honesty.

Hey, guys ^^.

Thank you so much for your prompt and very to-the-point responses. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer you earlier, but I've been a little bit busy. Needless to say...things did not work out in the end.

I still can't quite figure out what happened, but I have a feeling that it's better this way. I do think that "mind games" were being played at one point, and I regarded that as an insult to my intelligence. Just because I understand someone's POV doesn't mean I agree with it too and just because I trust someone doesn't mean that I'm naive. I wish some people would realize that. It's plain common sense.

Makes me wonder if the stereotype of INFJs rarely being truly understood by others is actually true.

Have you ever had such a problem?

This dude sounds very emotionally immature and not worth your time. IMO you dodged a bullet getting out when you did. Red flags all over the place. I hope you feel better soon and realize you deserve a lot better than what he had to offer.

Thank you. Well, one can only learn from such things, right? Goes to show that no matter how much you think you know someone else and understand them, things get in between at some point. I actually feel sadder over the fact that I lost a very good friend with whom I could talk for hours about anything and everything. But then again...maybe he never was my friend to begin with... Ah! The curse of never being able to read someone else's mind. But I do owe learning about MBTI personality types to him, so it's all good. I did manage to realize a few things about myself thanks to reading about how others that share my type reacted or thought about certain situations.