Health Care Reform Defeated...Or is it?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Ok, so here is the deal.

To pass any bill in the House it requires 218 votes.

64 House Democrats say they will not pass a bill without a public option.

That means a bill without a Public option would only have 193 votes, not enough to pass it.

Hence, the only health care reform bill that could get out of the House is one with a public option.

To pass a bill in the Senate requires 60 votes.

All 40 Republicans and 5 Democrats in the Senate have sworn they will not pass a health care reform bill that has a public option.

That means a bill with a Public option could only get 55 votes and not enough to pass it.

So...who is to blame for this little conundrum? It seems no health care reform is possible because of the public option issue. The Democrats have tied themselves into quite the knot. How is Obama gonna untangle this mess?

Last edited:
Ok, so here is the deal.

That means a bill without a Public option would only have 193 votes, not enough to pass it.

Hence, the only health care reform bill that could get out of the House is one with a public option.

All 40 Republicans and 5 Democrats in the Senate have sworn they will not pass a health care reform bill that has a public option.

That means a bill with a Public option could only get 55 votes and not enough to pass it.

So...who is to blame for this little conundrum? It seems no health care reform is possible because of the public option issue. The Democrats have tied themselves into quite the knot. How is Obama gonna untangle this mess?
You go with the public option. Your force the Republican senators to filibuster. You run ads of them talking about the inane shit that they'll talk about on a filibuster. You put it next to pictures of sick little uninsured children. You have the ominous voice over questioning the GOP's priorities. Obama needs to rally the troops and put the pressure on to get this thing to a vote.

Reactions: Faye
You go with the public option. Your force the Republican senators to filibuster. You run ads of them talking about the inane shit that they'll talk about on a filibuster. You put it next to pictures of sick little uninsured children. You have the ominous voice over questioning the GOP's priorities. Obama needs to rally the troops and put the pressure on to get this thing to a vote.

This seems to me like Obama's very own Iranian Hostage moment. It could very well define his entire presidency. At present, he is pretty screwed. If he doesn't back the public option, then he will have wasted considerable political capital, but if he does and the bill fails, then he will be blamed for being incapable of rallying the troops. Either way, he is set up to be another lame duck president. In November of 2010, it is virtually certain that Democrats will lose their super majority and any significant change will become utterly impossible. The stall and fear tactics being used by the Republicans are a work of art. Even with the example you mentioned, it doesn't quite compare to the propaganda they have orchestrated.

Ok, so here is the deal.

The problem is Washington has gotten accustomed to arguing like a n old married couple and stick to party lines and preference prevents the Congress and Washington in general from making a joint effort to get things done.

They have honestly forgotten its not about what you can do to the other party but what you are doing for people.

I must say I'm really disappointed that many people refused to allow a public option.

That simple turns a blind eye to what people need and is not a good sign.

As for what can be done I have no idea. The government is just not working for the people or the country as a whole.

I don't know what can be done until people are will to agree on whats best for the country and get over the red tape.

This seems to me like Obama's very own Iranian Hostage moment. It could very well define his entire presidency. At present, he is pretty screwed. If he doesn't back the public option, then he will have wasted considerable political capital, but if he does and the bill fails, then he will be blamed for being incapable of rallying the troops. Either way, he is set up to be another lame duck president. In November of 2010, it is virtually certain that Democrats will lose their super majority and any significant change will become utterly impossible. The stall and fear tactics being used by the Republicans are a work of art. Even with the example you mentioned, it doesn't quite compare to the propaganda they have orchestrated.

Sadly I'm starting to wonder if the USA is just too fair gone and to messed up to recover.

I hope not for everyone of us. We need to move this forward and we needed it years ago.

I've got to give it the republicans they screwed over for the last 20 plus years and now they are tying are hands at making progress.

Its so damn frustrating

Last edited:
It might sound like a too good to be true scenario for US but what about massive legal public protest? After all you're are the nation and you have a right to demand nice things if your government is too busy playing it's internal power games.

The line in the sand is drawn.

Kudos to Obama for not letting this drop. The widespread objections are almost all based on misconceptions about the contents of the legislation anyway, so there is yet hope if the Senate minority can be made to look obstructionist and urged to "re-read" the bill.

Kudos to Obama for not letting this drop. The widespread objections are almost all based on misconceptions about the contents of the legislation anyway, so there is yet hope if the Senate minority can be made to look obstructionist and urged to "re-read" the bill.

Wow, I feel revitalized. There is still a slim chance. The thread needs to be renamed.

:mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow::mblow:

"It's time for Americans to be patriotic about something other than war."

Howz about a link for the entire content of the proposed bill? Anyone care to furnish it? Then we can talk details, possibly pointing out problems, possibly allowing public input into something "unofficially". Might be difficult to do with the ship's tilting so far to the port side, though.

Howz about a link for the entire content of the proposed bill? Anyone care to furnish it? Then we can talk details, possibly pointing out problems, possibly allowing public input into something "unofficially". Might be difficult to do with the ship's tilting so far to the port side, though.

I understand the bill is over a thousand pages long.

Only a thousand? Make it four thousand, and clip it behind an amendment for a national parks employee pay oversight committee. Then have a Congressman assigned to that department known for being a stickler, and have him propose it.

No. That's down to people being retards for even conceiving of trusting that moron.

...and all the proposed amendments to everything....
I can't imagine how many more would be needed in short time. Best place to start fixing this would be a shredder.....sorry.