Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424136/

I watched this movie because it was supposed to be very disturbing according to some top 10,25,100 lists I saw of disturbing movies.

SPOILER ALERT
It is basically a very slow moving SAW-esque film about a child molester (whether he is or is not is slightly ambigous until the end) and his encounter with a 14 year old (Ellen Page from Juno) molester-killer. The twist of the move for me and for others from various reviews is: since you are never certain about the molesters guilt you always end up feeling sorry for all the things he goes through, and feel guilty for not hating the potential victim.

It is disturbing, but many peopl ewho I loaned it too said there was not much going on for about 70% of the movie.

Has anyone else seen this movie? What did you think?

[Spoilers, of course]

It's a weird movie, because the girl is as much in the category of a criminal as the supposed criminal.

It's also a good movie, because of that same fact. It doesn't make it EASY - it would be the easiest thing to watch a movie about a molested girl, who gets back her revenge, for example.

However, this is not the case here.

In fact, the movie leaves very many questions open; for example, what the heck were the causes for HER criminal mind to evolve to such psychopathy, especially at such an early age.

It's also a bad movie, because such depths are not really sought, and it rather remains on the surface of mindgames and chilling shock effects. Not that much to learn from that one. It's indeed just a candy, though a hard one.

I'd give it a B+, but it's notable for creating the first wave of die hard fandom around Ms. Page.

[Spoilers, of course]

It's a weird movie, because the girl is as much in the category of a criminal as the supposed criminal.

It's also a good movie, because of that same fact. It doesn't make it EASY - it would be the easiest thing to watch a movie about a molested girl, who gets back her revenge, for example.

However, this is not the case here.

In fact, the movie leaves very many questions open; for example, what the heck were the causes for HER criminal mind to evolve to such psychopathy, especially at such an early age.

It's also a bad movie, because such depths are not really sought, and it rather remains on the surface of mindgames and chilling shock effects. Not that much to learn from that one. It's indeed just a candy, though a hard one.

I'd give it a B+, but it's notable for creating the first wave of die hard fandom around Ms. Page.

+1

I think that the film was made with a particular lack of depth for an intentional reason. The movie gives you enough information for you to start considering various things, like do people who might have raped someone deserve that type of just as illegal and criminal repercussions.