Happy Face

SweetDreams

Regular Poster
Nov 5, 2009
MBTI
inf?
Enneagram
Unknown
Do any of you guys have to put on a front for your job? How easy/difficult do you find it, especially if you're usually interacting with people? How do you cope when you're having an introverted/withdrawn/anti-social/leave-me- alone-world day, and has this ever gotten you into trouble?

I think it's often common and necessary. I think we are a more socially conscious culture today, and our face or demeanor are considered tools in customer service, sales, or professional assets.

How easy/difficult do you find it, especially if you're usually interacting with people?

- It is extremely difficult but i try not to set up high expectations. I try to find a balance - i'm personable and pleasant without being overly expressive. Because of this, i don't feel as stressed or overwhelmed by the need to project a happy face.

How do you cope when you're having an introverted/withdrawn/anti-social/leave-me- alone-world day, and has this ever gotten you into trouble?
- It's hard because you don't any attention, you want to be alone, and it feels uncomfortable having to put on a happy face when you're feeling not so personable for friendly.
- Yes, it has affect my job and i've had to learn some hard lessons because of it. But in the right environment where people respect differences, it's not a bad thing because they simply leave you alone. For some places, as long as you do your job, they're not as bothered by it if you're not presenting a happy face.

I guess I'm a people person and usually do have a happy face on but I do have those days where I feel withdrawn and I do feel a bit awkward trying to be more social on those days. I don't find it difficult, except on days that I really feel withdrawn. Otherwise, it's natural for me to be social with the people I work with. There was a day not too long ago that I had those withdrawn feelings and I think it may have been noticeable.

Yes I have to put a massive front on for my job. It has been an uphill struggle for me to develop the character I play with my clients and colleagues. I am usually quite quirky and come out with random, silly and humurous (at least I think so) comments. I have to work to not do this and squelch the jokes before they come out.

Putting on a professional front is a must for me. I have been in trouble at work several times for my lack of professionalism and not affording the desired respect to the higher ups.

I literally don't see ANYONE as being better than me or more deserving of respect. Likewise I'm no better than anyone else. Whether you're a dustbinman or a councillor my first reaction is to treat you as an equal.

This is frowned upon in my line of work which is very political in nature. It was a real shock to me and a moral dilemma at first. It felt fake for me to show added respect to certain people. It still does but I have long since decided to play along.

I also have to adapt my behaviour to my varied clients. I don't mind doing this as it is done with the intention of providing the best possible help to the client. I actually enjoy playing theses characters.

It's the characters that I have to be to not upset some snot nosed, arrogant S.O.B. who thinks he's better than me and should automatically receive my deference that annoys me

Reactions: dark_angel