Grad school support | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Grad school support

That's an interesting point! I didn't think they would overwhelm the employment sector so soon! I think it speaks to the economy today- you need a graduate degree for almost any job now!

I've seen a lot of people who already have a job, go back and do an MBA. They stay in the same position during it, but then often move up within the company/organization afterwards. I imagine though, that this is a far lesser experience than most people with MBAs!

Yes, I work in a career office so I have learned a lot about students pursuing graduate degrees as well. A person isn't necessarily better off with a MBA degree anymore. It only comes into play later, if they want to become a "director" or move up a ladder. If you look through most MBA program admissions, they don't want students fresh out of a undergraduate degree. Most programs want you to have real world working experience, then do what you mentioned, by working full time then doing a part-time MBA program. It's a popular way to do it - especially if the employer helps pay for it. That would be my advice. My best friend is currently in the process of this, she found out her employer will pay for 50% of her tuition!

Yes, I work in a career office so I have learned a lot about students pursuing graduate degrees as well. A person isn't necessarily better off with a MBA degree anymore. It only comes into play later, if they want to become a "director" or move up a ladder. If you look through most MBA program admissions, they don't want students fresh out of a undergraduate degree. Most programs want you to have real world working experience, then do what you mentioned, by working full time then doing a part-time MBA program. It's a popular way to do it - especially if the employer helps pay for it. That would be my advice. My best friend is currently in the process of this, she found out her employer will pay for 50% of her tuition!

Agree, I've also noticed that grad business degrees, because they are considered professional degree programs, prefer if candidates have an established work experience in business with a good resume especially in management, finance, or accounting. For one, those degrees are much easier to muddle through if you've been working in the field, and also because many people who pursue grad degrees in business don't have undergrad degrees in business, so it's an easier transition if you have work experience.

[MENTION=11501]PeachJam[/MENTION]

Where abouts are you in your PhD?

I just submitted ethics 2 weeks ago- and looking to move into data collection! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Right now I am in a "grad school rocks" phase! I can only imagine this will quickly pass!

I'm at the end, I should graduate in December. I'm still collecting data but passed qualifiers a couple of years ago and finished classes. Now just lots of lab time and writing! What are ethics? I know the programs are different in different disciplines and between countries.

I'm a little scared to graduate - I've been in grad school for six years now, and I went straight through from high school to undergrad to grad. I know nothing but school.

I'm at the end, I should graduate in December. I'm still collecting data but passed qualifiers a couple of years ago and finished classes. Now just lots of lab time and writing! What are ethics? I know the programs are different in different disciplines and between countries.

I'm a little scared to graduate - I've been in grad school for six years now, and I went straight through from high school to undergrad to grad. I know nothing but school.

Awesome! I'm hoping to graduate Fall 2015 - eeee! Crazy!

In order to do research with human subjects, you have to apply to the research ethics board at my institution (this is a regular practice for any human-participant research) and have it approved before you can begin data collection. It's to make sure you're doing ethical research, that no harm will come to anyone, and that you and the institution on be liable for anything. So once I have approval, I'll be good to go! Yay!

I'm going into my 5th year- it's crazy to think we're reaching out end goals, eh?

Congrats! That's not long from now.

Ah, I work with animals so nothing like that- we do have animal care restrictions, etc. I work with endangered species so everything has to be approved and permitted.

Yes, crazy to think of getting out! I'm in year 4, but I have a MS so 6 total.

So effing tired of working all the time. Almost at 8 hours for the day now. :/

I just want to graduate, and get to spend some time with my kid.

Ugh tell me about it!!

I had a committee meeting today and I'm just so overwhelmed with what I have to do. This week is insanely busy, and I thought I might be able to take some time off in June...but I don't think I will. I can't really remember the last time I had time off....

I have one more year before I complete my masters program. My assistantship has been quite exhausting as of late, but my journey has improved since my last post a few months ago. I am so looking forward to graduating and earning my degree, but it kind of scares me to think of the day when I am no longer a student.

What has your plans been after you graduate?

I'm also feeling the fear of it being over? But then I decided I would just do a post-doc. And it solved my anxiety!

It is pretty much the same question that I mentioned previously. As I am in a student affairs masters program, it is expected that I take the practitioner route after earning my masters degree. I still find myself, after many months, feeling attracted to immediately starting a doctoral program as I primarily want to be a researcher. I would probably study communication as that is what my bachelors degree is in.

It is pretty much the same question that I mentioned previously. As I am in a student affairs masters program, it is expected that I take the practitioner route after earning my masters degree. I still find myself, after many months, feeling attracted to immediately starting a doctoral program as I primarily want to be a researcher. I would probably study communication as that is what my bachelors degree is in.

But any fronts on making that step? Have you sent applications in? Looked around? :D

I have looked at various doctoral programs and really like what I am finding in terms of potential research areas and opportunities for graduate assistantships. I would need to get applications out by the end of the fall semester if I pursue that route. I have also looked at many student affairs positions that would fit my qualifications. I would need to take part in the spring 2015 hiring processes if I decide to pursue that path. In all honesty, I am leaning toward further graduate study, but that is a very unusual path to take by someone in my position. It is almost unheard of to go straight to a doctoral program after earning a masters in student affairs. My concern is feeling alienated due to my differing career choices, and the eventual job prospects from having gone straight through to the doctorate.

That was supposed to say 12 hours, at 13.5 now.

Graduating is kind of terrifying! I've been in some form of college for 12 years now. I'm looking for a postdoc, the problem is finding a good one that pays well enough to support us. I have a promising lead, but I don't want to count on it.

Right now it is just graduate and publish at the top of my list!

We have grant data due at the end of June and I'm working 70-90 hour weeks. I hate it. I might as well sleep in the lab.

That was supposed to say 12 hours, at 13.5 now.

Graduating is kind of terrifying! I've been in some form of college for 12 years now. I'm looking for a postdoc, the problem is finding a good one that pays well enough to support us. I have a promising lead, but I don't want to count on it.

Right now it is just graduate and publish at the top of my list!

We have grant data due at the end of June and I'm working 70-90 hour weeks. I hate it. I might as well sleep in the lab.

I've been looking into Cambridge lately. I hear the UK has a lot of good positions there! But I'm also a single person- not a family! I can afford to take the lesser paying positions just to travel around :)

Reactions: Gaze
The relationship I have with my supervisor:

kqn8nGW.gif

@ say what - love that animation and I can totally relate.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had an experience similar to what I am going through right now. I'm mid-career and always wanted to go back to grad school in order to take a shot at academia, and after about 15 years I was finally in a financial situation where it was feasible. So I enrolled in a thesis-based Masters, thinking I would continue on to a PhD. I am now in my second year and really frustrated. My supervisor does not really understand my work or my ideas, and I feel like academia as a whole is a giant mess. The small number of publishing academics that might understand what I want to do are probably inaccessible to me, as I goofed and went to a mid-level school for the Masters instead of a big one (my JD was at a top school but apparently that doesn't count for much). And in any case, even in "business-friendly" areas like law, tenure track academic jobs are rare and getting rarer. I'm considering wrapping up the Masters and then going back to my old job.

Aside from the practical impacts, this choice is really challenging my self-worth and self-perception. I thought I was smart, creative, and innovative, and I certainly was told that all through my undergrad and JD. Now I feel like a wannabe, that my ideas are not worth anything, and that I'm just not a worthwhile human being any more. Can anyone relate to this?