Grad school support | INFJ Forum

Grad school support

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I know there a few of us who are working on grad degrees in various areas at different levels, and thought it would good to have a thread for support and advice. Share your experiences and advice here as you move through your program, whether with courses, program requirements, committees, papers, exams, advisors, etc. The thread is mostly about the experience of being in grad school.

4edb18a5186133045b01d158.png

I LOVE this thread! Lord knows I have a bazillion things I can post on here!

I'm finding grad school a mix of the good and the bad...sometimes I think it has changed me for the worse...as I often find that my emotions are like a rollercoaster, and I'm far less resilient than I use to be.

But at the same time....I've learned so much about myself through this process. While I still don't think I'm smart enough to be here (typical grad student imposter syndrome), I do have days where I'm like "Daaaum gurl! You're on fire!"

Ahh! Double post! I'll rectify it with a funny cartoon!

phd030110s.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
My friend and old college roommate just got out of a psych ward 'cause of grad school.

I've been stressed, but at least I know that the other people in my program care even less than I do about doing well. They all just want to get through it and hopefully find a job that pays halfway decent on the other end. I feel stupid, all the time, every day.

I think often about if I had gone to grad school in something that is actually worthwhile (i.e. engineering and accounting) or that I would actually have enjoyed (namely a Ph.D. in philosophy). I've been reading this blog often, and from everything else I've seen, I am glad I didn't do the Ph.D.

http://philosophysmoker.blogspot.com/

So I'm seriously contemplating saving up after this and going back for a second masters degree in the future. That is a crazy thought. Of course, the irony is that the supposed best case scenario involves sitting down in a cubicle for the rest of my life. So maybe doing more wouldn't be a bad thing. Either case, student loans need to be payed off.

And I don't know how I'm going to survive my thesis project. Anyone have advice on dealing with this stuff?

My friend and old college roommate just got out of a psych ward 'cause of grad school.

I've been stressed, but at least I know that the other people in my program care even less than I do about doing well. They all just want to get through it and hopefully find a job that pays halfway decent on the other end. I feel stupid, all the time, every day.

I think often about if I had gone to grad school in something that is actually worthwhile (i.e. engineering and accounting) or that I would actually have enjoyed (namely a Ph.D. in philosophy). I've been reading this blog often, and from everything else I've seen, I am glad I didn't do the Ph.D.

http://philosophysmoker.blogspot.com/

So I'm seriously contemplating saving up after this and going back for a second masters degree in the future. That is a crazy thought. Of course, the irony is that the supposed best case scenario involves sitting down in a cubicle for the rest of my life. So maybe doing more wouldn't be a bad thing. Either case, student loans need to be payed off.

And I don't know how I'm going to survive my thesis project. Anyone have advice on dealing with this stuff?

It's really shitty that grad school can be such a horrible experience. A girl in my lab just finished her MSc and she said she regretted doing it because it was such an awful experience. Grad school, while stressful and hard, doesn't need to be so shitty...from my experience, the shit comes from the advisors and/or committee members- they just treat students so horribly. There needs to be more governing around that.

Now...how to handle a thesis...

Here are my tips:
*Write everyday...even if it's crap, you will find something useful in it.
*Break it up in sections, and sections within sections. Completing a small section is much more doable, than sitting down to write a 20-paged section.
*Keep track of all your literature. I use excel and type everything out in there, it's an easy way to compare between studies, as well as go back and make tables.
*If you're going to be collecting data (I'm not sure what kind of thesis you're writing), have your first three chapters (intro, lit review, and methods already written...that way, half of your thesis is finished, and you just have to do data analysis and discussion/conclusion.
*If you wrote a proposal, use that to help you write your first 3 chapters.
*Set yourself deadlines! And even have a partner that you set deadlines with. If you have to be responsible to someone else, you're more likely to achieve your goals.

Reactions: Faye
So far, the biggest struggle I've had is committee confirmation, poor direction, and naivete on my part that they were supposed to help you get through the program rather than using you to self promote their own research and projects. That's why it bugs me why we pay so much for grad school, twice as much as undergrad, yet do all the work with severely minimal guidance. I also think having a good peer support system is good. I found however, that because we're in an interdisciplinary program and everyone is doing different topics, it's tough to review concepts with other people. Also, sometimes PhD students are a caught up in their own projects to really help someone else. It's sort of every person for themselves environment. Professors are available or if they are, it's short. So, you have few opportunities to discuss your project with others and get constructive feedback. That's been my experience, which sucks because I like talking things out and collaboration, it helps me check whether I'm on the right track.
@Dragon - As far as the thesis, I agree with @say what. I've heard it's best to write something everyday. I think the toughest part is the lit review. Once you write the lit review, you usually have a better idea of where you're headed. For me, using an outline format (with letters/numbers) to plan out the chapter or chapters helps me keep track of what I need to review for each section. Although your thesis will be one chapter length or so, use section headings as you write your thesis or proposal and than then remove them from the final draft. It allows you to feel as if you're progressing if you label sections and write one section at a time. For, a dissertation feels like an overwhelming project, and even three chapters feels like it's a daunting task. However, focus on completing various sections in a chapter is easier.

As far as your mental and physical health, this is far more important than people realize. Since we will spend so much of our time and effort burying our heads in books and computers, doing so for long periods can be stressful and cause some headaches. So after a few long hours or days of studying, take a break for a day or two to get back to sanity. Come up for air. Also, have fun and healthy snacks handy. Drink a certain amount of fluids everyday. And take time to do something fun or take a breather.

Yeah...grad school is an interesting process. At first I was really unhappy about how independent it was. I didn't feel I had the ability and understanding to direct my own research- not to mention you're not often allowed to make mistakes and fail during the process...so how do you learn? It took me a long time (I've been in grad school for ...almost 8 years now for 3 degrees) to realize that you're really dependent on yourself and your inner understanding of yourself. This is where taking time for you, living a healthy lifestyle, and having balance in your life are important. I look at my PhD as a job, not school; and since I've coupled that with understanding I can do it on my own and I am more knowledgeable in some areas than my advisor and committee- I've enjoyed it a lot more.
[MENTION=1669]Framed[/MENTION] has really highlighted the steps for a thesis. For the lit review, try and identify gaps- this is huge...identifying the gaps, and then clearly outlining how you're addressing them is important. Also, write as you talk. I've taught and marked so many students that try and write above their understanding- they think it's going to impress the reader and make them seem like they know more- but it does the exact opposite. Write how you would speak it!

On a completely different note....I'm both overwhelmed and frustrated today.

I'm frustrated because I'm just about to submitted the final copyright agreement for a paper that I submitted a year ago...and one of the co-authors just today decided she didn't want her name on the paper because she didn't feel she contributed enough...but would like to be acknowledged in the acknowledgement section. SO.FRUSTRATING. she had a YEAR to tell me...and this means writing to the publishers and editor.....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh...and the copyright is due tomorrow......*head on desk...banging*

I'm overwhelmed because I have 2 papers I'm editing now, and I have a request to collaborate on 4 more different projects/papers in the next year...couple that with my dissertation work, teaching, and life.......ah...how am I going to do it?

Yeah...grad school is an interesting process. At first I was really unhappy about how independent it was. I didn't feel I had the ability and understanding to direct my own research- not to mention you're not often allowed to make mistakes and fail during the process...so how do you learn? It took me a long time (I've been in grad school for ...almost 8 years now for 3 degrees) to realize that you're really dependent on yourself and your inner understanding of yourself.

OMGosh, you're the first person to articulate the same feelings I've had throughout this process. They make you think it's just you who has these issues. Finally! Someone can relate :D

I specifically chose my Masters program because of it's balance of theoretical AND practical components. I don't have to complete a masters thesis with a committee or anything like that - we do what is called an Advanced Research Project (ARP) that is three semesters long and focuses on a practical/applicable research project that will end up being about 40-60 pages in length total. Not too bad in my opinion. There isn't a large approval process, our personal advisor and the program director just have to "OK" it.

Many of my cohortmates have said how hard our program is, and the reading/writing demand is too difficult sometimes, but I haven't thought that at all. Maybe because I came from a Big 10 school, my undergrad was very difficult and rigorous at times, so to me this just feels comparable. Because I'm a full-time student as well as working 20-30 hours a week for my practicum/internship, I feel like things are going quite well. In a few short months I'll be halfway through my program and only have one year left!

Reactions: barbad0s
I specifically chose my Masters program because of it's balance of theoretical AND practical components. I don't have to complete a masters thesis with a committee or anything like that - we do what is called an Advanced Research Project (ARP) that is three semesters long and focuses on a practical/applicable research project that will end up being about 40-60 pages in length total. Not too bad in my opinion. There isn't a large approval process, our personal advisor and the program director just have to "OK" it.

Many of my cohortmates have said how hard our program is, and the reading/writing demand is too difficult sometimes, but I haven't thought that at all. Maybe because I came from a Big 10 school, my undergrad was very difficult and rigorous at times, so to me this just feels comparable. Because I'm a full-time student as well as working 20-30 hours a week for my practicum/internship, I feel like things are going quite well. In a few short months I'll be halfway through my program and only have one year left!

nice, congrats!

• One-liner: Phrase your thesis into one sentence, preferably a question. If you can't do that, you don't have a thesis, but two or more.
  • Select literature rigorously: I always categorized my reading list into A (must read), B (should read), C (could read), D (don't read). Then I labeled the book spines with "A", "B" etc.
  • Reading mode: Decide whether the item at hand should be scanned (for a certain fact/date), skimmed or read thoroughly
  • Avoid being dictated by the authors you read: This is more subtle than you think
  • Restraint: Don't record everything, even though you think it 'might' be useful in the future
  • Brainstorming is distinct from analysis: Don't mix those two
  • Don't control your mind: Expand, let it loose, make connections. You can always reduce afterwards.
  • Notes: Use a notebook or a journal to catch your ideas. Don't use an iPad because...
  • Use mindmaps: The mind doesn't work in a linear manner
  • Software: Use citation management software. It just makes your life easier. Really!
  • Do not do/decide important things after lunch: Seriously, don't do this
  • The right time: Know at what time of the day your mind is at its peak. Do important stuff during that phase.
  • Clear writing depends on clear thinking: Clear thinking I think is achieved only when you do the brainstorming and analysis properly
  • Separate writing from revision: Don't play "editor" while you are writing
  • Revision: Each additional revision always improves your work

Last edited:
  • One-liner: Phrase your thesis into one sentence, preferably a question. If you can't do that, you don't have a thesis, but two or more.
  • Select literature rigorously: I always categorized my reading list into A (must read), B (should read), C (could read), D (don't read). Then I labeled the book spines with "A", "B" etc.
  • Reading mode: Decide whether the item at hand should be scanned (for a certain fact/date), skimmed or read thoroughly
  • Avoid being dictated by the authors you read: This is more subtle than you think
  • Restraint: Don't record everything, even though you think it 'might' be useful in the future
  • Brainstorming is distinct from analysis: Don't mix those two
  • Don't control your mind: Expand, let it loose, make connections. You can always reduce afterwards.
  • Notes: Use a notebook or a journal to catch your ideas. Don't use an iPad because...
  • Use mindmaps: The mind doesn't work in a linear manner
  • Software: Use citation management software. It just makes your life easier. Really!
  • Do not do/decide important things after lunch: Seriously, don't do this
  • The right time: Know at what time of the day your mind is at its peak. Do important stuff during that phase.
  • Clear writing depends on clear thinking: Clear thinking I think is achieved only when you do the brainstorming and analysis properly
  • Separate writing from revision: Don't play "editor" while you are writing
  • Revision: Each additional revision always improves your work

Such good advice! You hit on a lot of reflective and contemplation aspects of learning. I'm trying to integrate that more into my work. We read and write, and read and write, and...you get the point! But we often don't stop to think about what we read or how we're conceptualizing it...this is so important.

And your comments on reading are great too- know what you need to read- even if it's just a paragraph..

On the topic of literature review? How did you guys approach planning and writing your lit review?

Not at the lit review phase yet.. that'll start in a few weeks. Basically I'm gathering articles and resources to "sort" through. x_x (death)

On the topic of literature review? How did you guys approach planning and writing your lit review?

Ah! How did I miss this!

How did I approach it...hmm....I did massive searches (recorded all my search terms and search results in an excel file to make a diagram later)....then if I found a particularly valuable article, I would use their reference list to find more articles (recorded this number as well) ... I did it systematically too (see figure). I also make a table of my search terms and any endings combinations I use.

Then once I figure out how many articles I actually want to review (based on reading the titles, and then the abstracts), I make a table with all the information I find relevant. It normally includes:

*Author (year)
*Discipline of the article (e.g., psychology, medicine)
*Dependent variable(s)
*Independent variables(s)
*Theoretical framework (if they used one)
*Measures
*How they defined particular terms (e.g., "how did they define stress?", "health")
* Sampling techniques
*Sample characteristics (e.g., n = , M : F, M age, particular defining characteristics (students, employees))
*Experimental conditions (specific characteristics)
*Duration of exposure
* Analysis (e.g., SEM, ANCOVA, etc.)
* Did they include any confounding variables
* Results
* Any gaps I noticed

If you're doing more of a theoretical review, you would want to include different headings...basically you want to get all the information in there that you're going to compare / contrast, so that you can identify gaps, issues, or themes in the literature. For me, when I did this, I identified issues with sampling techniques, overall sampling characteristics, issues with methodologies, and overarching results (so I broke it down into different levels of health!

Then I created a framework from the results, and was able to critique the methods (2 papers).

This then outlined what I needed to address in my dissertation - 'so here are the gaps in the literature, and here's what I'll be doing to address them'...it gave me a clear picture of the state of the literature and how my work would be significant.

I'm not sure if that helps or not :)

I also make a lot of tables and figures - as it's helpful for publications!

Capture.JPG

What I'm doing is really more of a project than a proper academic thesis. I did one for undergrad, and I wish it was that simple. I'm creating a business plan based on cost-benefit analysis for an organization that hired me to do it. So its good that I'm getting paid. Bad news is that it involves a lot of meetings with customers, and I don't really understand enough about accounting and such to know what the heck is going on. It is obvious to them too, so I get to look dumb while trying to act professional. The data (if you can call it that) I collect on my own. There is a lot of driving involved since they're located far away, and it doesn't help that their business is in really bad shape.

There are very few relevant academic resources. Also, my adviser don't know what up. I am glad to be doing it though because I think it will help my resume. I'm just worried that there just might not be any good options or solutions to their problems (since finding more money for the problem areas isn't likely to happen). I'm also worried that they wont be happy with what I produce, or their bosses wont be happy with it. Or that my adviser won't like it. And if I make a mistake and they implement it and waste resources, that will come back to me.

Ah! How did I miss this!

How did I approach it...hmm....I did massive searches (recorded all my search terms and search results in an excel file to make a diagram later)....then if I found a particularly valuable article, I would use their reference list to find more articles (recorded this number as well) ... I did it systematically too (see figure). I also make a table of my search terms and any endings combinations I use.

Then once I figure out how many articles I actually want to review (based on reading the titles, and then the abstracts), I make a table with all the information I find relevant. It normally includes:

*Author (year)
*Discipline of the article (e.g., psychology, medicine)
*Dependent variable(s)
*Independent variables(s)
*Theoretical framework (if they used one)
*Measures
*How they defined particular terms (e.g., "how did they define stress?", "health")
* Sampling techniques
*Sample characteristics (e.g., n = , M : F, M age, particular defining characteristics (students, employees))
*Experimental conditions (specific characteristics)
*Duration of exposure
* Analysis (e.g., SEM, ANCOVA, etc.)
* Did they include any confounding variables
* Results
* Any gaps I noticed

If you're doing more of a theoretical review, you would want to include different headings...basically you want to get all the information in there that you're going to compare / contrast, so that you can identify gaps, issues, or themes in the literature. For me, when I did this, I identified issues with sampling techniques, overall sampling characteristics, issues with methodologies, and overarching results (so I broke it down into different levels of health!

Then I created a framework from the results, and was able to critique the methods (2 papers).

This then outlined what I needed to address in my dissertation - 'so here are the gaps in the literature, and here's what I'll be doing to address them'...it gave me a clear picture of the state of the literature and how my work would be significant.

I'm not sure if that helps or not :)

I also make a lot of tables and figures - as it's helpful for publications!

View attachment 19659
Thanks! I'm doing more of a theoretical review. My project uses textual analysis, close reading of media texts. My lit review *I think, is supposed to be reviewing previous lit on the media representations of particular issues, and what current media is doing with these themes. I've been gathering sources and need to get myself moving to organize them into "types" and focus.

What I'm doing is really more of a project than a proper academic thesis. I did one for undergrad, and I wish it was that simple. I'm creating a business plan based on cost-benefit analysis for an organization that hired me to do it. So its good that I'm getting paid. Bad news is that it involves a lot of meetings with customers, and I don't really understand enough about accounting and such to know what the heck is going on. It is obvious to them too, so I get to look dumb while trying to act professional. The data (if you can call it that) I collect on my own. There is a lot of driving involved since they're located far away, and it doesn't help that their business is in really bad shape.

There are very few relevant academic resources. Also, my adviser don't know what up. I am glad to be doing it though because I think it will help my resume. I'm just worried that there just might not be any good options or solutions to their problems (since finding more money for the problem areas isn't likely to happen). I'm also worried that they wont be happy with what I produce, or their bosses wont be happy with it. Or that my adviser won't like it. And if I make a mistake and they implement it and waste resources, that will come back to me.

Is there any way you can take an accounting course online?

Is there any way you can take an accounting course online?

What I really need is to go back and time and get myself to major in accounting. Not that I'd want to be an accountant per se (at least not one that works 80+ hours per week), but it seems like a really good thing to have on your resume for a lot of jobs in a business setting.