Government just doesn't work | INFJ Forum

Government just doesn't work

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
God, I just give up already! I've tried being a good citizen. I vote in every election and I've written my Congressman a number of times about some serious issues. I don't just mean the cut & paste letters found online either, but a real, true-worded messages.

The most I get is some canned response from a dips*** too closed minded to actually give a crap about the people in his district. The last one came in the form of a "form letter" response to my message about the "PROTECT IP" Act. Basically, a "big brother" act that allows legal recourse against internet piracy - yes, it's a "slippery slope"/"back door" excuse that allows them to track your personal activity and come knocking on your door in the guise of upholding the public interest.

My Congressman even rights back to me stating: "In particular, the consumer electronics, information technology, apparel, and music and motion picture industries have expressed frustration with infringement of intellectual property (IP) rights."

Just what we need, another bill that will further protect multimillion dollar corporations while giving the government and those same companies another opportunity to walk all over us, invade our privacy and suppress us even more using an outdated concept that was designed to protect individuals and small businesses back "in the day".

The irony here is that Utah's a rather "Libertarian" state. We don't like nobody tellin' us what to do! I think I need to start an "Occupy Utah" movement here. Something like this, I bet would get lots of locals upset!

I don't know if I'm more upset that a bill like this is even being considered in this political climate (see the OWS protests) or that my own freakin' Congressman doesn't even represent me!?

This government is broken - I want a refund!

Reactions: muir
The government never did work - you simply fell prey to the illusion it did. That's okay, though. We've all been there. Welcome to being awake.

The bad news is that history repeats itself so you can pretty much look back and see we're heading towards a fascist state. The good news is that history repeats itself so you can pretty much look back and see how we're going to overcome it.

This is why I don't vote.

Reactions: Stu
This is sort of unrelated, but is there a non-arbitrary, lower bound at which secession can be considered not morally justified higher than the individual if one accepts the idea of secession at any given group size? (I'm trying to make everyone supporting an oppressed minority's decision to form a new nation into an anarchist by implication, it's a hobby of mine)

Last edited:
the government and society in general most evolve and create a new type of System, both economically and politically in the way of a more open democracy

The government never did work - you simply fell prey to the illusion it did. That's okay, though. We've all been there. Welcome to being awake.

The bad news is that history repeats itself so you can pretty much look back and see we're heading towards a fascist state. The good news is that history repeats itself so you can pretty much look back and see how we're going to overcome it.

I don't doubt that for a second. I'm just wondering who's going to fire the first (literal or proverbial) bullet of a revolution...

And just for further irony... his reply to me sounded like typical Republican propaganda for the most part (vs the typical Democrat propaganda that we also hear) but he's actually registered as a Democrat. Just proves the political parties are also just as f***ed up as the system itself is!

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Just proves the political parties are also just as f***ed up as the system itself is!

Right. Whenever I hear anyone speak in bipartisan terms as if it's legit, I tune them out just as fast as I do Christians who want to talk to me about a 6,000 year old earth.

It's simply not worth the effort to talk to someone who's head is that far up their ass.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Has government ever worked? We're better off than a lot of other governments, that is for sure, but still nowhere near the ideal as outlined by the Constitution. Any system run by humans is bound to be flawed. Imperfect. Broken.

Has government ever worked? We're better off than a lot of other governments, that is for sure, but still nowhere near the ideal as outlined by the Constitution. Any system run by humans is bound to be flawed. Imperfect. Broken.

It's not so much that the government never worked as it is, its that we have regressed to a more complacent state instead of moving forward.

If you could chart our progress though, we'd be a steady incline until the 20th century. As the interview [MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] posted mentions, the parties, people and institutions that were supposed to balance us out as a government have all been hollowed to empty shells or removed from the picture. there's no more alternative voice or "devil's advocate" in our government that can balance the direction we're going.

I especially liked when he insults the Liberals as not actually doing their job and being Liberal enough :) Just kind of drives home the point my Congressman inadvertently made with me.

The fact that we can view/post on forums via the internet and our computers, while drinking hot tea says that our governments are doing pretty well on the big picture.

(Computers require technology and trade, owning one needs a fairly high standard of living, posting on forums requires literacy, the internet requires complex infrastructure, tea is not a local crop and requires a high comparative standard of living... ie. we wouldn't have tea if there weren't people much poorer than us, willing to pick it; finally the way we prepare hot beverages requires easily available potable water and electricity).

I like this thread and am actually going to read all the previous posts before lunch

Interestingly, I dont think we will head towards another Revolutionary War, I think we will head towards the French Revolutionary War, class lines are becoming very apparent in our society again in the last 100 years, the government is only protecting the wealthy and the established elite. At some point the peasants will tire of starving in the streets and storm the gated communities and start chopping off heads again. And I cannot wait *sharpens machete*

This generation will not do anything as long as the welfare trickle allows them to have Xbox360.

This generation will not do anything as long as the welfare trickle allows them to have Xbox360.

Then we'll wait for them not to be able to afford the next generation X-Box or be able to pay their subscription fees. Everyone has their breaking point!

Reactions: the
Revolution in the United States is a joke. We have good roads, electricity, water, schools, basic protections, and an unemployment rate nowhere near the rate in places like Greece and Spain.

I realize that the government fails on many particular issues, but I doubt that it will escalate to anything severe enough to prompt a serious reaction. The economy is recovering (slowly) and that will take the sting out of the already weak 'Occupy' movement. If you look at the kinds of things that make people in most countries turn take action, and you look at the United States, you will not see those factors here and there is no evidence to suggest they will increase in the future. The gap between the rich and the poor has widened significantly, but the standard of living has also increased in that time. Also, most people are content ignoring politics and whatever else goes on that unless things really went bad (as in much worse than people being evicted from their homes), nobody will care.

Revolution in the United States is a joke. We have good roads, electricity, water, schools, basic protections, and an unemployment rate nowhere near the rate in places like Greece and Spain.

I realize that the government fails on many particular issues, but I doubt that it will escalate to anything severe enough to prompt a serious reaction. The economy is recovering (slowly) and that will take the sting out of the already weak 'Occupy' movement. If you look at the kinds of things that make people in most countries turn take action, and you look at the United States, you will not see those factors here and there is no evidence to suggest they will increase in the future. The gap between the rich and the poor has widened significantly, but the standard of living has also increased in that time. Also, most people are content ignoring politics and whatever else goes on that unless things really went bad (as in much worse than people being evicted from their homes), nobody will care.

One word - Rome.

They had the same things going for them - good roads, education and culture. Then things got ugly.

Then we'll wait for them not to be able to afford the next generation X-Box or be able to pay their subscription fees. Everyone has their breaking point!

haha i hope so!

we could do with more community and less government

community serves the people

government serves those with money

broken system is corrupt and doomed to fail

folks dont know any better if they are uneducated, crippled by fear, following the leader without questioning where they are going...

i'm sure xbox does play a big role in all this as well...

these glowing boxes sure are distracting.

if we can't get a grip on these things ourselves how can we expect others to do the same?

the division amongst the people is the big impediment

people divided on so many levels... and it's all superficial

the division is rooted in fear

yet again... it comes back to fear

the real battle is the one taking place within the individual

i can see some massive changes coming in the near future

change is inevitable, no way around it

some of us will rise to the occasion
it seems many are not yet prepared to do so

helping others is the best way to help ourselves

everyone wins when we live in peace, love, unity...

common unity
community