Foreign Countries and Queer Representation

Chalti

Regular Poster
Sep 8, 2014
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
6w5
So, I was called - a racist today, I'm not sure how, but if you know why - I'd love for you to point it out, so I can correct my perspective.
A game came out recently that involved marriage - it's not supposed to be a romance simulator (it's actually a strategy game), but it became a romance simulator due to popularity. If you know the game, it's Fire Emblem: Fates, or Fire Emblem: IF in Japanese.

Anyway, the game decided they would dish out 1 gay and 1 lesbian character - which is completely new to the series in terms of the protagonist interacting with them. There have been subtle hints of queer representation, but nothing so direct as this, so it's pretty amazing, but because there were only two choices, a lot of people have been angry about it.

I understand why the lack of queer representation makes people angry, but I really am confused why they won't accept that this company that made the game came from Japan which still refuses same-sex marriage as of now. I mean, I know Shibuya only recently allowed Proof of Partnership for same-sex, but it's just Shibuya, and there are no laws against discrimination for queer people.

Furthermore, the lack of POC (People of Color) in the game (and in most Japanese games)-- what makes people expect that they would make this game socially progressive when they're still struggling with other representations?

Another argument is that, the game panders on fans gross fetishes - the most problematic is incest (there's about 8 characters the protagonist calls brother or sister, but they're not blood related - it's still weird because they do play on incest by calling the protagonist, brother or sister, when they're supposedly in a romantic relationship). But they argue, why cater to incest when it's illegal too?

But I argued that if incest was a "problem" in Japan to begin with, they wouldn't be putting it in their games. Incest now is just some gross fetish, but if it does grow out to be problematic - it's gone!

Anyway, I just wanted to know - is it right for a western fan to be angry at an eastern game company for making choices that involve their culture or background to lgbtqa? And how am I racist?

Thanks!

I don't think that makes you racist. I think it would be racist to not hold Japanese gaming companies to the same standards that American ones currently are in terms of GLBT acceptance. Gay marriage is possible in Skyrim. They even put a transgender NPC in Guild Wars 2. Making it about racism is sort of a cheap shot. It assumes that Japanese culture is inferior, so therefore they shouldn't be held to the same standards as the United States. I think whoever said this to you was actually the racist one.

Countries should be held to the same standards. Crying cultural differences doesn't excuse people's bigotry.

I don't think you're being racist. Although, its kinda cultural related but it seems you're only upset with certain elements in the game not the whole people/country.

It was funny, I got another reply from this person - they said if I wasn't Japanese, I shouldn't be talking about Japan like that as if I knew Japanese culture - which is true in some regard, that I shouldn't preach when I'm not completely sure of myself (although, it hasn't stopped me from doing research)...

But I found it funny that she would complain about Japanese games and not delve into their culture to understand it better...

It was funny, I got another reply from this person - they said if I wasn't Japanese, I shouldn't be talking about Japan like that as if I knew Japanese culture - which is true in some regard, that I shouldn't preach when I'm not completely sure of myself (although, it hasn't stopped me from doing research)...

But I found it funny that she would complain about Japanese games and not delve into their culture to understand it better...

I think there are some people who find joy in being offended.

Reactions: JJJA

I've seen anime, and I'm pretty sure that Japanese culture is 100% like anime. In the same way that American culture is 100% like our movies.

You can be angry, but I don't see how being so would be considered racist.