Following Your Passion | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Following Your Passion

my passion in life is my reason for living and without it life would not be meaningful for me. i can enjoy beautiful moments in life independently of it but without it my life as a whole is not meaningful and i probably would be too unhappy to even notice these moments. i have to do it because i will never be happy or have any personal meaning in my life if i don't do it. luckily it's possible for me to do it and still meet my basic responsibilities to myself, my family, my society etc. but i've given up all these responsibilities for it before and i think i would do it again too. i don't know what it would take to stop me from doing it. i've given up a lot for it and whether i am successful or not i already know that it was worth it. i look around myself and see all these people with no meaning following a track that was laid out for them and just waiting for something to happen to them and i am so happy that i am not like that, i know that all the work was worthwhile. i feel like i wouldn't let anything get in my way now, and that i would give up anything for it. i don't know whether that's the truth or not, it probably isn't, but i can only tell how i feel and how much i've been driven so far and how much i'm still planning to give up. there's something inside me that says that i have to be this and there's nothing else that i can be and i am driven to be the best that i can be in life so there are really no alternatives for me. i don't know what point you have to abandon this. for me the answer right now is never. but i think it's probably different for everyone.

Reactions: Gaze
I think passion can fizzle so it's tricky to think following our passion is always best. We can be intensely committed and engulfed in a passion in one minute, and feel no desire the next because passionate interests can be fleeting. If it's a lasting passion with a real and substantive foundation, then pursuing it within reason may be good. But some passions only last for a moment, while others last for a lifetime.

Reactions: Solongo
There is no need (need suggests a heavy negative reaction if not carried out e.g. need for food) only a preference in regard to having passion in your life experience. Not to say that I believe everyone can go for their 'dream' but passion is what gets you through a difficult progress to greatness.

1984 is about the trapping of man in a haze of bureaucracy and mental control through physical means (Orwell himself said it was a warning against communism in the UK); modern life has fewer boundaries yet people believe there are massive obstacles and will give excuses to justify their lack in confidence. We live in an age which is fairer than anytime in history. How many people do you know had to sell their children or work since the age of 4?

Modern western life is about aspirational living (which accounts for extreme/unattainable goals of untold wealth, fame etc...) and merely shows rather than tells of the intelligence, education and determination needed to achieve big goals. Another element I have noticed is subsequent generations of money forget that their ancestors stole to give them vast wealth and give no respect to the people that put them in privilege (tea-baggers jab!). Unfortunately this 'everyone go to the same goal' attitude is the main reason for most modern mental health problems (especially the USA) and takes away a 'work together' mindset.