Financial Horror Stories | INFJ Forum

Financial Horror Stories

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
Hey guys...I slacked off on an assignment, I was supposed to collect financial horror stories about people and bad situations they got into financially and I forgot- I think it's due monday but it could also be due tomorrow.

So please! Post your Financial horror stories here. Even if they are not yours- even if it was an aunt, an uncle, a friend of a friend...etc. You don't have to name who it was. Post as many as you can that'll help me a lot or I'll have to make them all up.

THANKS AND ENJOY THE HORROR STORIES YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ!

lol.

THIS IS NOT AN INTRODUCTiON MS. 7000 POSTS.

oh crap. CAN SOMEONE MOVE THIS?? :/

Reactions: subwayrider
I would post one, but I don't really have any.

Anyone who is paying credit card interest at 18% or 29.99% or whatever atrocious interest rate is a horror story to me. I literally shudder and cringe when I see/hear about that. If you're going to borrow money for expenditures (which generally isn't a good idea), don't be paying more than prime+4%. Prime's 3% right now, so don't be paying more than 7%. Usually you can get that on a line of credit. Credit card interest rates are the closest thing to a straight up rip off / scam that's applied on a massive basis nowadays. It's almost predatory.

Hey guys...I slacked off on an assignment, I was supposed to collect financial horror stories about people and bad situations they got into financially and I forgot- I think it's due monday but it could also be due tomorrow.

So please! Post your Financial horror stories here. Even if they are not yours- even if it was an aunt, an uncle, a friend of a friend...etc. You don't have to name who it was. Post as many as you can that'll help me a lot or I'll have to make them all up.

THANKS AND ENJOY THE HORROR STORIES YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ!

lol.

haha I commend you on your resourcefulness but at the same time shame you for your utter lack of responsibility! :)

A cut and dry, seemingly straightforward man marries into a family that accepts him and loves him. As a hobby, he finds a cheap plot of land to buy and builds a cabin on it with his brother. The town nearby, he notices, also has cheap things to buy: real estate.

The year is 2004 and this married man buys a couple properties for only a few thousand dollars a piece. Him and his brother fix up the first units and rent them. The newly fixed up properties are refinanced and the money is used to buy more properties to fix up. Those units are rented and a good income stream starts coming in. The man's wife is brought in as a business partner and so is the man's father.

It's 2005 and lots more properties are scooped up for cheap. The rental business is going so well that a property manager is hired to collect rent checks and a small crew is hired to do the work on the units. At the recommendation of the man's father, who says "You can trust him [my son]," the married man's mother-in-law, her other daughter and her sister are brought in as business partners. Family supplies the cash to buy properties, while the man fixes them up, refinances them, finds tenants, and manages them. It's a family affair and the strategy is to buy more properties to fix up and rent.

It's 2006 and the city alderman shower the man in praise for doing such good work fixing up this small sleeper town. That same day, a renter knocks over a candle and sets fire to one of the units. The man knows insurance will pay, but many renters are causing damage to units or are missing rent payments. The man does what he can to repair units and evict deadbeats, but he can no longer buy new properties like he once did. The banks who were so willing refinance his properties are starting to give him trouble instead. "You are overextended," they say. What do they know, thinks the man. Let's keep the momentum going, I need more money to expand.

It's 2007 some of the man's decisions to move so fast and whose properties get repaired first cause tempers to flare. Infighting begins among the partners. Who pays for this or that is agrued back and forth. The man stops answering his phone when partners call. Some family members decide to get their own repair crew, some want to fire the man as the managing partner. A lawyer is brought in to help dissolve certain partnerships. Renters are doing drugs and lie about making the rent payments. Evictions are becoming commonplace. The crews do shoddy work and create even more frustration for the partners. With a lack of income stream and reliable crews, the partners are forced into their one and only exit strategy. Flood the market and hope to sell their properties.

It's 2008 and the housing market is collapsing. Quality renters are hard to find. The city is full of deadbeats who mostly live off the government, it is found. Some potential buyers come in with lowball offers to buy a property here and there, but few deals close. An auction is organized to sell the partnership's properties. The man's father, who told the others that they could trust his son, owns half the parternship's properties. It is overheard that his entire retirement savings was used to buy these properties. At the online auction, the highest bid the father receives on any one property is $1,000. Turns out the $1,000 bid was actually the auctioneer trying to get other bidders to bid up the property and no one actually bid. None of the father's properties get sold. The man's father is ruined.

It's 2009 and the man is divorced. He has filed for bankruptcy and moved out of his wife and child's home. The entrepreneurial venture he once hoped would be a nest-egg for retirement ended up destroying his reputation, his family, his credit, his family's credit, and his father's life savings.

Last edited:
The investors shouldn't be putting all their eggs in one basket. It's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of math (risk). That's the problem with people who try to invest their own money; they don't know what they're doing. Waaayy overexposure to the housing market. Management skill was clearly lacking as well, hence the infighting.

The 2007 financial crisis was difficult to foresee though. A lot of people got screwed by it.

i need more

bought a house for $650K a year before the housing market crashed. ex-husband lost job had to sell said house in a short sale for $335K when the housing market went to total shit... that was a really cool move for my credit score.

bought a house for $650K a year before the housing market crashed. ex-husband lost job had to sell said house in a short sale for $335K when the housing market went to total shit... that was a really cool move for my credit score.

[MENTION=4459]Sensiko[/MENTION] you seem very well adjusted for such a roller coaster ride. (

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensiko
[MENTION=4459]Sensiko[/MENTION] you seem very well adjusted for such a roller coaster ride. (

[MENTION=1939]Stu[/MENTION], thankyou. i don't even scream on roller coater rides anymore, lol.

Reactions: Stu
Last edited:
Last edited:
Same as most everyone out there ... not wanting to contribute to the vicious down-spiral of the economy, but there may be no other choice. In a couple of years we will HAVE to move and attempt to sell this house. I thank my lucky stars it is nothing like what the people in California are going through, but still we are underwater. Our choice is to rent (which I don't want to do b/c we will be on the other side of the country), short sale or walk. Walking is not really a choice anymore, b/c in GA mortgage companies can go after the owner to recoup the costs if they make enough money ... and they would. There is no way we would sink $40k into this house just to sell it so our credit score maintains immaculate.

Our hands are in the air, hoping some resolve will become available when the time comes. :( I hate the thought of "fuck it" everyone else is doing it, why should we care? How to think differently though? There is no incentive for those of us who work, pay our bills on time, etc ... only to get screwed b/c we didn't have a Fanny Mae/Freddie Mac loan. Makes me sick.

[MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] are you eligible for refinancing to the lowest possible rate?

[MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] are you eligible for refinancing to the lowest possible rate?

Not unless we cough up $40k, plus it is already at a very low rate. Go figure. We've already tried.

Last edited:
OMG why is this still in introductions?!!?! it was a simple mistake!

Thread moved per OP request. :)

Most financial horror stories these days in the U.S. involve real estate. The horror is everyone has lost about 30% - 50% of their home