Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Observation time:

I noticed that Fi doms and auxs (IxFP and ExFPs) are prone to experience / react with guilt.
While Fe doms and auxs (ExFJs and IxFJs) are prone to shame.

But once they delved into manipulative techniques; it would also somewhat related to that.
Fi = guilt trip, emotional blackmail, implications of 'a cruel person'
Fe = shaming, blaming, implications of 'a bad person'

Of course; culture and environment has an effect. I can see those with a more individualistic or nondeterminist way of life being more prone to experience guilt.
I do experience guilt quite often, for Fe reasons ('noo I hurt others, I'm doing a bad thing and that means I'm baaad'), and I tend to have a more individualistic PoV.

What do you think? Am I simply being insane?

Agree.

Guilt and shame are both learned emotions from experience in societies that utilize them, rather than innate ones. Eventually these values become internalized as part of an individual's "emotional digestive system".

It's kind of complex when you get into the populations of Fe vs Fi within certain cultures and how the people and cultural norms interact. I think that guilt is sort of like a cognitively based empathy, which is why Fi users or otherwise those who are told to "live their own lives" yet to understand others as separate entities from them on a one on one basis would be more prone to it. Shame on the other hand is centered in a "you are we" mentality, or it's a sort of empathy for everyone around you as you, your livelihood and emotions are inextricably connected to the group. I view the presence of Fi vs Fe in individuals as operating in the exact same way as their outside larger culturally enforced versions, yet individual and separate. However, the presence of Fe in an Fe culture would amplify shame where Fi in an Fi culture would amplify guilt. It is funny to view Fi individuals functioning in Fe cultures and Fe individuals in Fi cultures. Sometimes the clash of values creates odd scenarios.

Well, first of all, guilt and shame strictly speaking are more related to complexes than to function-attitudes, albeit, it is true that some ego-orientations give more natural expression to certain complexes.

Extraverts as defined by Jung are less introspective. Which is not the same as modern introversion as defined by the MBTI or the Five Factor Model. So yes, Jungian extraverts were likely to react more to outer situations than to inner ones, and thus, being shamed in front of a group might possibly affect them more.

Nonetheless, if you are familiar with enneagram, the complex afflicting enneatype 4 tends to involve shame, at least some versions of enneatype 4, and 4 tends to be one of the most deeply introverted feeling types.
The idea is that, even though they are focused on self, they experience their alienation from others and thus deeply introverted perspective, in such a way that they feel painful shame at what they are lacking.

Whaaaa, you say? The thing is, two dimensions of personality are likely to contribute to how people-oriented you are -- the Jungian feeling function aspect, and extraversion, in two somewhat separate ways.
Feeling function is responsible for human value appraisals, thus is deeply in touch with the question of what it means to be human -- it is against this that it judges the values which feelings correspond to.

Thus, even a highly introverted feeling type is capable of being extremely shameful of their identity -- that their humanity is somehow defective and lacking and so forth would be typical feelings experienced by them.