Facial features | INFJ Forum

Facial features

Infjente

Hot Fuzz
Sep 13, 2017
MBTI
Infj
Do you generally pay attention to details and characteristics in people's faces? Can you for instance tell where people are from, who's had botox, who smokes weed regularly by certain facial features?

I mean in cases where most people couldn't tell, or wouldn't notice.

I don't really pay attention when I don't need to, but there are still details that pop out every once in a while.

When first getting to know someone, it is good to watch someone's hands and shoes, next to the face. They hold some revealing information too.

Last edited:
Yes, occasionally I do but that is from working in the medical field for almost my entire working career.
I size people up medically, many times the face shows you a lot.
I’m pretty good at noticing any surgical work people have had done also as I used to assist with it sometimes.

What sort of information? If you don't mind divulging.
Well, there is of course much more than I know, but I can give you a few examples. It is mostly inferences you can draw when looking at them.

The kind of shoes they wear, the usual wear and tear of the model, as well as how clean they are kept could indicate profession (well, not the precisely profession, but it can give a general idea of the kind of work), sentimentality towards a certain pair, or a general cleanliness about them.

Similarly the hands can tell you if they are in any way creatively active (calloused fingertips usually indicate a musical instrument with strings, the most likely choice being a guitar), whereas small scars on the knuckles point towards a person that is or has often been involved in physical altercations. However, if they are unmarked, soft, and manicured (you may also distinguish professional manicures from a homemade buffing), this can tell you that a person is rarely working with their hands, but still is dependent on making a flawless impression, so perhaps a business man.

These are just a few examples that come to mind. Of course, you can always go a few steps further and draw more inferences from clothing, haircut, facial features, bearing, accessories, etc.
You have to be careful with these things, as only the most complete picture may put the details into the right perspective.

Reactions: Asa and AUM
Well, there is of course much more than I know, but I can give you a few examples. It is mostly inferences you can draw when looking at them.

The kind of shoes they wear, the usual wear and tear of the model, as well as how clean they are kept could indicate profession (well, not the precisely profession, but it can give a general idea of the kind of work), sentimentality towards a certain pair, or a general cleanliness about them.

Similarly the hands can tell you if they are in any way creatively active (calloused fingertips usually indicate a musical instrument with strings, the most likely choice being a guitar), whereas small scars on the knuckles point towards a person that is or has often been involved in physical altercations. However, if they are unmarked, soft, and manicured (you may also distinguish professional manicures from a homemade buffing), this can tell you that a person is rarely working with their hands, but still is dependent on making a flawless impression, so perhaps a business man.

These are just a few examples that come to mind. Of course, you can always go a few steps further and draw more inferences from clothing, haircut, facial features, bearing, accessories, etc.
You have to be careful with these things, as only the most complete picture may put the details into the right perspective.

That was very insightful, thanks Ginny, for taking your time to write that down. I guess these inferences can be pretty effective in getting a quick picture of the person you're talking to, like you said. I imagine it does take practice in getting a somewhat accurate description of said person just based on outward appearances since you also have to filter out which aspects of their appearance are genuine and which ones are just for show.

Then again, some people are just naturals in being able to detect that in people, which may be your case ;)

Edit: I also wanted to point out that this sort of talent would require a certain degree of balance between your Ni and Se, I think. If you lack one or the other when trying to do this, it may backfire in coming to the wrong conclusion based on faulty perception.

Last edited:
I would say I'm pretty oblivious. However, I easily pick up on changes in people I see regularly from one day to the next - new haircut, earrings, or anything else. Those I do tend to notice quite distinctly :)

That was very insightful, thanks Ginny, for taking your time to write that down. I guess these inferences can be pretty effective in getting a quick picture of the person you're talking to, like you said. I imagine it does take practice in getting a somewhat accurate description of said person just based on outward appearances since you also have to filter out which aspects of their appearance are genuine and which ones are just for show.

Then again, some people are just naturals in being able to detect that in people, which may be your case ;)
I'll take that as a compliment. But idk, I sort of picked it up while watching Sherlock a couple of times.

I never practiced it, so I have no idea if I'd actually be able to do that in the moment. But since the topic came up, I think it's time to learn to do it. There are a few videos/channels on YT on general stuff, but I'm guessing you definitely have to get practical knowledge as well.

Reactions: Asa and AUM
I've had "work" done before so I know the tells. It's pretty obvious to me, but I don't judge others for wanting to look, which inadvertently makes them feel, better. I do love trying to figure out where a person is from based on facial features tho. I'm half asian and married to a black man so it's a running joke in my family that "we all look alike". Of course that's not true, there are distinction in every race. Even so, you get some people that are so mixed that you can't pinpoint where exactly they get their features. Still a fascinating subject for me tho!

Do I pay attention and notice if a person has made a change on their appearance? Yes. But do I judge them for it? No, not at all. Nothing wrong with a person for wanting to feel better about themselves. Everyone deserves to feel beautiful. Also, I am studying in the medical field so I have no choice but to notice a person's appearance/change.

Additionally, I am quite good at picking up facial expressions and gestures. I've always had a weird knack for reading people quite easily, hence why I am going to the neurology/psychiatry medical field.

I think I am good at getting a general sense from a person's face but I couldn't tell you exact specifics right away. Only that a person may be troubled in a particular way or may be prone to certain behaviors. I can't really identify where specially a person may be from because mainly I don't really care. I find it interesting if/when they tell me that information though and obviously I'm going to have some general idea in some cases based on different things. I can sometimes identify drug users of different types because of my history being involved in learning about it and being around some. Plastic surgery isn't always obvious to me if the work done was minimal but I can pretty easily discern somebody whose had a few things done.

Yes. I notice plastic surgery. As for me, I'll stay natural.
I think you get the wrinkles you earn. My face is a map of battlegrounds, and the happy lines are winning.

I also notice assymetry in facial expressions. It seems to worsen over a lifetime of conflicting feelings. I try to keep mine symmetrical by being mindful of my emotions.

I don't overtly study people's faces all that closely but I think I do notice patterns or tendencies well enough to make certain assumptions, probably subconsciously. One of my foremost interpersonal strengths is forming accurate first impressions of people within seconds, which I'm sure at some level has to do with my (again, largely subconscious) database of facial expression cues.

Plastic surgery isn't something I concern myself with one way or another, unless it's a blatantly shoddy job. If someone wants to have work done, that's their business.

@Lurk and I are planning a two week plastic surgery retreat sometime in the future.
9OzkhqL.jpg

I don't really pay attention when I don't need to, but there are still details that pop out every once in a while.

When first getting to know someone, it is good to watch someone's hands and shoes, next to the face. They hold some revealing information too.
I want to hear more about this

I easily forget the faces of strangers because my concern for strangers is abstract. I don't want to know you, I want to help you.

You can help a lot of people just by getting to know them though, but I see your viewpoint

Reactions: Asa and Ginny