Expectations/Hope | INFJ Forum

Expectations/Hope

It's easy to see why people would crave death, after all, it seems like an easy fix, but in truth your body wants to live, regardless of what you think. Your cells demand sustenance whatever your conscious mind may make you believe, and hunger is a real and pressing drive. Hunger in every sense of the word will eat at you, and just trying to escape it will not resolve the issue. It catches up. Besides, we're all going to die anyway, there's no reason to aim for it. Why rush towards the finishing line, especially if you don't know exactly what comes next? In my opinion, it's better to exhaust all alternatives before accepting the inevitable. If one way doesn't work, it's up to you to find another. Human beings are problem solvers at heart, and just because most of the time our needs are fulfilled by others who will help us, doesn't mean we should neglect our needs when they don't. Find another way. There always is another way, and don't let failed expectations get you down. I don't think it's a matter of having the "correct disposition", I think it's about adapting to the situation as completely as you can; in effect, attaining the correct disposition when you don't naturally possess it.

There's a song I heard once that relates to this topic, it described how behind every desire there is another, stronger desire, which you may or may not be aware of. It is there, pulling you in directions you might not wish to go should you be conscious of it, but unless you recognize it, you won't be able to stop it influencing your actions. Above all, we should probably strive to understand ourselves as well as we can, and appreciate the fundamental reasons for why we do things, so that we can direct ourselves towards the paths that will give us the most satisfaction. People (and I include myself in this) just don't understand themselves as thoroughly as they sometimes need to, to get the most out of life.

Reactions: Faye