slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
Here is a new word for you all: Ethnocentrism

The definition is as follows....

Ethnocentrism is the tendency to believe that one's ethnic or cultural group is centrally important, and that all other groups are measured in relation to one's own. The ethnocentric individual will judge other groups relative to his or her own particular ethnic group or culture, especially with concern to language, behavior, customs, and religion. These ethnic distinctions and sub-divisions serve to define each ethnicity's unique cultural identity.[1]

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and if so, do you take this into consideration when posting on threads regarding political issues in countries other than your own, including their cultural customs, religious and social views on subjects?

add on: how do you challenge your own ethnocentrism? the belief that your opinions and way of seeing the world is the 'right' way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I am from Europe!!! We are all a little bit Ethnocentric, history made us that way...

I learnt to live with it...Jus one box more. It is good to be aware of limits individual and colective views.

I think most are ethnocentric to some degree or another, it can be argued that it's a result of millennia of human evolution. I don't see it as inherently good or bad, it can exist in benign forms. IE, the relative preference for your own culture over another doesn't necessarily mean you consider the other culture inferior or worthy of extermination.

I do think it's wise to understand it, to avoid the more problematic forms it can take.

It makes sense to judge other ethnicities against your own since you know the most about it.

While I'm really proud of my Cornish Culture and history, I don't think I go as far as judging other ethnic groups by the standards and practices of my own.

though I do advocate for Cornish recognition every chance I get, but that's not because I think we're better, but because I believe we do not have the recognition we deserve while other celtic cultures are recognised and encouraged, but the English would prefer to sweep us under the rug as it were.

The top three most ethnocentric countries:

1. United States: Whenever I visit the U.S. it seems that Americans consider all other cultures/societies as ethnic - but not their own. It is almost as though most Americans think that their society is somehow different, or has advanced beyond ethnicity and is better than other cultures. I think American ethnicity is characterised by the trait of obsesive self-awareness. Americans judge all other cultures primarily in respect of their self-awareness.

2. France: the French are very self aware, but unlike Americans, the French are aware, and proud, of their ethnicity. Indeed, they are so proud of all things distinctively French that it often seems to cross over into snobbery.

3. India (subcontinental): Most Indians seem to still have a mentality agreeable with the caste system. It is presumed that no matter what one may achieve, or how one may fail - that some people have greater dignity than others. If you encounter an Indian who considers themselves to be from a high caste, there is nothing you will ever be able to do to change their attitude of condescension towards you or others. Conversely, if you encounter an Indian from a very low caste, they will never consider themselves your equal. Other people/races are judged as having a certain value - and nothing can ever change this.

Last edited:
Just as we focus primarily on our own family, so too do we focus on our own ethnicity.

The problem is when we proclaim our family as superior, and try to oppress other families.

Haha [MENTION=528]slant[/MENTION] I knew this word already from my speech class. :D I feelz da smartz.

The top three most ethnocentric countries:

1. United States: Whenever I visit the U.S. it seems that Americans consider all other cultures/societies as ethnic - but not their own. It is almost as though most Americans think that their society is somehow different, or has advanced beyond ethnicity and is better than other cultures. I think American ethnicity is characterised by the trait of obsesive self-awareness. Americans judge all other cultures primarily in respect of their self-awareness.

Lol well I think it's because an enormous percentage of Americans have no idea what their ancestry is. They only know their skin color. So when they look at cultures that have traditions that go much further back in history, yes they do indeed feel "different."

Also, sorry, didn't answer your question.

The way I view it is, respect everyone's culture, don't view it as right or wrong but just "what they do". The judgement card comes in if they start breaking global norms..

I learned this word when I learned sociology in high school. I try to take this into account when I am in a public discussion. I adjust for it.

I don't feel connected to any ethnicity since I am mixed and raised in a country where neither ethnicity is dominant. I am apathetic. Though, I suppose in my mind I give my J a good workout, but I keep my pride to myself.

Here is a new word for you all: Ethnocentrism
Has anyone ever heard of this before, and if so, do you take this into consideration when posting on threads regarding political issues in countries other than your own, including their cultural customs, religious and social views on subjects?

add on: how do you challenge your own ethnocentrism? the belief that your opinions and way of seeing the world is the 'right' way?
I learned about it in highschool, but I guess not as detailed. I feel smartly stupid. <3

Yeah; I tend to take the difference of cultural influences regarding several topics and people's enthusiasm about it and the direction their enthusiasm goes. Depending on the issue, I tend to actively reach an understanding, but mostly it's passive; I mostly try not to be bothered by people's reaction regarding several things. If something's happening there and here, it makes perfect sense for other to be offended, others here being less informed person of other culture with opposing values. It's quite funny, the dissonance. (For instance, during Obama's election, a lot of people here are repulsed by America's decision to permit gay marriage and were delighted by Prop 8.)

That being said, understanding =/= acceptance =/= repulsion. IMO.

It does makes sense, to compare it from what we know the most (in this case, culture); but the point lots of people seems to forget is that our own culture, American / European / Asian / African / everything, has its own flaws as much as its own goods.

I'm saying this because another mindset people tend to fall is reverse ethnocentrism; thinking that their own culture is all ugly and bad, and other culture outside is the sole ray of light that the country needs in order to improve. It's just as bad as ethnocentrism. They use globalization and cultural diversion as an excuse to dirty their own culture. To be honest, I tend to fall to reverse ethnocentrism rather than ethnocentrism..but lately I've been learning to appreciate my own culture as it is (and rejecting others that didn't fit my viewpoint).

To challenge it is quite a hard thing. I said this as someone who'd raised in a highly ethnocentric culture, and seen both flavors (the ordinary, everywhere around me, and the reverse, on myself.). I've got to see both good and bad of every culture, and if possible, the circumstances. The why, and how does the culture protect this particular society, and how the culture brought this society to its states. I can't say -my- culturally biased viewpoint is the right one, though; it depends to whom I'm talking to, but surely every viewpoint has its own merits? (Albeit the merits are also often judgment-worthy)

[MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]; no Japan? I thought they are one, if not -the- most ethnocentrist country ever. Mentality aside, isolationist + Victim mentality + feeling speshul = ahoy.