ESTJ to ESTP

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
...with perfect understanding that MBTI, in this case, is about approximation of behavior;
and that the cause of my father's change are neurological as opposed to psychological;

my ESTJ father seemed to change to ESTP, due to his stroke.

Very impulsive; reduced long term consideration; suddenly becoming more.....active? despite his wheelchaired condition.

.......How do you communicate with ESTPs?
In particular; how do you dissuade ESTPs from doing something stupid ? From where do you approach this all?

I don't think it's possible to flip from ESTJ to ESTP. They share no functions in common and even when inverted to account for shadow theory, the function order does not add up.

ESTJ is Te, Si, Ne, Fi
ESTP is Se, Ti, Fe, Ni

As you can see, not a clean flip

Ti, Se, Ni, Fe would be the inversion of ESTJ, which is ISTP

I don't think MBTI is adequate to assess a person affected by stroke, however.

I'm really sorry that you and your family are going through this. I wish I had answers. Maybe try appealing to the values that your father had trouble compromising on before?

The other suggestion is maybe some kind of medication or herbal assistance? It's likely a chemical imbalance of some kind; excess dopamine is usually the culprit behind impulsive behaviours. White mulberry has some benefit in acting as a dopamine agonist. But see a herbalist or his doctor before you give him anything.

Reactions: Trifoilum
I don't think it's possible to flip from ESTJ to ESTP. They share no functions in common and even when inverted to account for shadow theory, the function order does not add up.

ESTJ is Te, Si, Ne, Fi
ESTP is Se, Ti, Fe, Ni

As you can see, not a clean flip

Ti, Se, Ni, Fe would be the inversion of ESTJ, which is ISTP

I don't think MBTI is adequate to assess a person affected by stroke, however.

I'm really sorry that you and your family are going through this. I wish I had answers. Maybe try appealing to the values that your father had trouble compromising on before?

The other suggestion is maybe some kind of medication or herbal assistance? It's likely a chemical imbalance of some kind; excess dopamine is usually the culprit behind impulsive behaviours. White mulberry has some benefit in acting as a dopamine agonist. But see a herbalist or his doctor before you give him anything.
I agree; it's NOT at all a clean flip.
That's why I'm more certain that it's ESTP (more resembling him, cognitive functions aside) rather than ISTP.
(and I don't even know about maturity)

What I'm looking for is mostly communication tactics-- again, I'm used to deal with the ESTJ....and the dirty tactics I'm using (Fi bombing) does NOT affect him as much as it used to. And I have little experience with ESTPs.

I don't think we have white mulberry here; but I'll check!

The trait-theoretic side of the personality world absolutely supports the idea that your personality can change. The very concept of a static type that "defines" your conscious self is very philosophical, and empirical reality suggests variables like conscientiousness, openness, etc can be swayed. Sure, there's a genetic component, so within reason we probably won't change insanely.
But viewed not as two discrete ends but a spectrum, P-J can witness plenty of change. A stroke is a more extreme event, and that certainly can change things. But even just life experience can change someone (again, within reason).

Yes this is the observable traits. Whether there's some static, truly "defining" ego-type, that's more speculative. It's certainly useful to consider as an archetypal concept though.

Reactions: Trifoilum
The way I see it; personality is part neurology, part psychology; the psychology part may have some change (due to traumatic incident; near brush to death; anxieties and frustrations and etc)-- but it's hard to deny in the case of stroke that the neurology DOES change.

Again; I dare not say whether he becomes ESTP-- just that his behavior right now is a close approximate of an ESTP's behavior.

So learning about how to communicate with an ESTP in general sounds like another thing I need to know.