[INFJ] - ENTP Problems | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] ENTP Problems

blueman32

Dec 24, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Hi, new here to INFJs, but a sorta seasoned vet of MBTI.

I come here because I have questions about an ENTP. This story is LOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG, so I'm going to try and keep it as short as possible.

I met this ENTP lady on the post end of my last relationship, about a year ago. We hit it off, talking for hours everyday. Her semester started, and a few days before I was going to go abroad to study, she invited me to her dorm room. We drank a bit, and right before we were about to do the dirty (she was naked on top of me), I stopped her. I told her I liked her a lot, and IME, sex too early in a relationship = doom.

She respected this decision.

I go abroad. She seems to still take a liking to me. Then, I essentially have an existential crisis abroad, weird things happen to me, I end up in Shadow function mode for a while. About a month in to my trip (I was, admittedly, coming off a little intense for the ENTP), she messaged me on Facebook saying "I don't want a relationship with you, you're too intense, I don't trust you" yadda yadda. We don't talk for about 4 months, I delete her from social networking, she gets with other guys, I had a couple of other "almost" relationships.

I get back to the States. We follow each other on Twitter, and she "Favorites" some tweets, and starts some "arguments" with me on Twitter. Whatever.

I go back to school to visit my roommates, and see her at the bar. She's been drinking, I've been drinking, I go to talk to her, she acts INCREDIBLY snarky. Next day, she messages me apologizing for how she acted.

We start talking again, but she's guarded. After a while, she slowly lets her defenses down, and (after asking her, maybe, 3 times), she OKs a hang out. We were going to go to a haunted house together.

Day before, she gets a concussion. She invites me over to her dorm room. She JUST woke up from a nap, but she has gum in her mouth (hmmm.....). As soon as I walk in, she spits gum out, undoes hair (hmmmm......)

I do nothing. We talk. I leave. We reschedule haunted house for 2 weeks later.

A few days before we go, I drive up to school to hang out with her. We were supposed to do some yoga in her room, but she says "that's not going to happen" b/c her "friend heard male voices" and whatever. We drive around. She must have said "friend" 20 times.

I drop her off. A day before haunted house, I tell her I'm no longer taking her b/c feelings are still strong for me, and I think it's best we just keep an intellectual, online relationship. She appreciated the honesty, but was disappointed about not going to haunted house. She responded: "awwww [first name], that was the most honest, genuine thing anyone has ever said to me. If it'll help you, I'll leave you alone."

After a while of no talking, our conversations have accelerated. She initiates almost EVERYTHING. She sends me lots of links, songs she likes, movies she's watching, EVERYTHING. We have a lot of "real" talks about life and careers too. She even told me she's considering joining my organization (a national organization, so we COULD be stationed in the same city, but not definitely).

I told her there was something I wanted to do in February, but it's far away and no one wanted to go with me. She said "PICK ME PICK ME." We're going together, it seems.

The other day, she messages me saying "you presume so much about me it infuriates me." It was regarding a post on PerC that was TECHNICALLY about her, but she blew it up (it wasn't mean or offensive). We hashed that out over the course of a day, and she cooled down BIG time. By the end of the fight, it was as if we were best friends, talking about personal things and what not. BUT, given that fight, we decided to look at our friendship and where we stood. I said "perhaps we shouldn't be friends, I need to think about it." That was 2 days ago. Today, I messaged her saying how I, at first, didn't think we should be friends, then came across a John Lennon quote about honesty, and realized that, overall although I'm an honest person, I find myself being ESPECIALLY honest to her b/c I trust her, and I really value her, and I want to continue the friendship. Then, I wished her a happy Christmas. All she responded was: HAHAHA Merry Christmas Eve, [My First Name]. It just seemed SO generic.

Some people tell me the fight was the "straw that broke the camel's back," other people told me that it probably made her fall even deeper (considering she was willing to negotiate and still be friends).

I know there are A LOT of other guys pursuing her, but I doubt she has gotten as close with them as she has me (or, at the very least, I have the illusion that we are close). An ENFP female friend and INTJ male friend both tell me she DEFINITELY likes me, but wants to take it INCREDIBLY slow with me. I just don't know what to make of all this. She's incredibly worth it to me, but I don't want to spend ANOTHER year on her, if that's what it's going to take. The ENFP (who is in her 40s) told me that I'm handling this BEAUTIFULLY, and I should remain SLIGHTLY detached and sometimes engaged, let her lead the way, and go for the home-run in February.

Thoughts?

For what it's worth, she's 21, I'm 23.

Last edited:
An ENFP female friend and INTJ male friend both tell me she DEFINITELY likes me, but wants to take it INCREDIBLY slow with me.

You know, you didn't have to write that much. The first 80% of your post was pretty much redundant. It's the old zig-zag dating story. As your ENFP friend said: Go with the flow. Not too fast, not to slow.

I've been there all you have to do is go with the flow.
¿If you don't want to spend another year with her, why you keep trying?
Honestly I think you want to do something but ¿are you afraid?
I have something like that and I almost lost everything we have, we are just friends, but I realized that everything have to go with the flow, I always try to force things as I want.
I think you should just let everything go and see what happen. This kind of things can't be forced.

You know, you didn't have to write that much. The first 80% of your post was pretty much redundant. It's the old zig-zag dating story. As your ENFP friend said: Go with the flow. Not too fast, not to slow.

Ah, see? I REALLY tried to summarize.

The night we hooked up, she REALLY made me feel like a one night stand. I was hanging w/ friends waiting for her phone call, it came at, like, 1AM. We were up til roughly 5:30AM talking, then watching part of a movie that turned to making out, then that escalated, then we slept.

The "flow" of the story goes:

Talking as friends - Talking as more than friends all the time - Hookup - Talking as more than friends (much shorter time) - Drift out - Me wondering why she was flaking out on me - No longer wanting anything - Stop talking for 4 months - Pick up talking again - Friendzoned - Short time no talking - REALLY pick up talking again (she initiates) - "I'm PRETTY sure she likes me, but I'm not entirely sure, last time I told her, it didn't end well for me" - Fight - Now

¿Did she got out of a long relationship?
Personally, again, this girl make me feel like a one night stand too, but that happens when : 1) scared, 2) doesn't know if get involved in another thing or 3) still loving the other guy
Things usually get weird after sex, because any of you probably doesn't know what to do. What you should do is just keep trying and understand her, because she is doing that with you.

Honestly I think you should go deep on her mind. And don't take everything seriously, that is usually the problem, you care too much. But I guess thats something that infj have.

Personally, again, this girl make me feel like a one night stand too, but that happens when : 1) scared, 2) doesn't know if get involved in another thing or 3) still loving the other guy
Things usually get weird after sex, because any of you probably doesn't know what to do. What you should do is just keep trying and understand her, because she is doing that with you.

Honestly I think you should go deep on her mind. And don't take everything seriously, that is usually the problem, you care too much. But I guess thats something that infj have.

She has never had a long-term relationship. Ever. She hooked up with a friend of mine 3 years ago on a regular basis (they have no interest in each other now -- don't even talk), and she was "seeing" a guy from Germany during her study abroad 2 years ago.

NOTHING long-term. She even told me once that she doesn't even know how to be in a relationship. She claims that she WANTS to be able to be intimate, she just doesn't know HOW to.

Ah well.

She just messaged me. Back to normal?

NOTHING long-term. She even told me once that she doesn't know how to be in a relationship.

¿Do you feel something for her? ¿Does she feel something for you? Or you haven't talked about that?

If you have talked about it, probably there was a problem.

I've seen that most of INFJs have that problem, they care a lot for the other person or the oppossite. Most of the time on this kind of situations we creep out when they stop talking to us, and I understand, because we took serious all this kind of things. (Talking about myself)
Have you done something recently?

I told her I've liked her before. About a year ago haha.

She kind of just responded with an "I know."

I'm PRETTY certain that she knows I like her. I've told her I had some feelings for her a couple of months ago. And, I think, through this message (the fact that I say I value her a lot), I think she can probably tell I STILL like her.

She kind of just responded with an "I know."

Interesting answer.

This whole thing is interesting (not being rude with the term).

What I would like to know is : ¿What are you trying to know? or ¿What are you trying to understand? If its possible to know of course.

You wanna go out with her, stablished a relationship, stay calm and in plan of friends.

Haha, sorry, but I would like to help you out.

In my case, we are like friends, we like eachother. We do all kind of things that people normally do on a relationship.
But we talked about it, we feel. But we do not feel chained to eachother. I think its like friends with benefits.

Btw, sorry for my english, not mother language.

Interesting answer.

This whole thing is interesting (not being rude with the term).

What I would like to know is : ¿What are you trying to know? or ¿What are you trying to understand? If its possible to know of course.

You wanna go out with her, stablished a relationship, stay calm and in plan of friends.

Haha, sorry, but I would like to help you out.

In my case, we are like friends, we like eachother. We do all kind of things that people normally do on a relationship.
But we talked about it, we feel. But we do not feel chained to eachother. I think its like friends with benefits.

Btw, sorry for my english, not mother language.

Your English is fine, man. Excellent English.

I want to know if she likes me and if there is a "long-term" with her. Honestly, I don't know if "we like each other, we may even love each other, but we aren't IN love with each other" is something I want with her. I'm an all or nothing guy. I know I'm young, I know it's WAY too soon to tell, but I just want to know that with everything I do with her, I'm progressing to some sort of goal.

She just has the most beautiful soul. I think she's amazing. People say not to put people on a pedestal, but I think when you "like" someone, it's only NATURAL to put them on a pedestal. I don't see her as "perfect" (far from it, actually, I've seen and know MANY of her flaws), but flaws and strengths, I like it ALL about her. She's just an amazing human being and I want to play a big role in her life.

But baby steps.

And I do realize if she sees this, I'm toast.

Your English is fine, man. Excellent English.

I want to know if she likes me and if there is a "long-term" with her. Honestly, I don't know if "we like each other, we may even love each other, but we aren't IN love with each other" is something I want with her. I'm an all or nothing guy. I know I'm young, I know it's WAY too soon to tell, but I just want to know that with everything I do with her, I'm progressing to some sort of goal.

Thats cool, man. I like that, the fact that you are looking for something with her is good. ¿If your a all or nothing guy, why don't you took a big step? I mean not something extreme but taking everything and say it. Most of woman love that kind of stuff. My advice could be that you make various situations of what could happen, I mean, what could be the worst thing? You guys already stop talking for a while, ¿did that hurt you in some way? Even after that you talk to her when she look for you. I think you should talk about it, probably will be hard if you say it in one day, it will take a lot of time of course but show it!

¡If you find her attractive, beautiful at your "soul sight" then go for it! It will be horrible if you don't do something, you will regret it. ¿Don't you think?

PD : Merry Xmas!

Last night, she was drinking wine. The conversation was MUCH looser, she was MUCH more receptive, just so much sweeter to me. Tonight, she's sober, and very straightforward, blunt, to the point answers, not answering NEARLY as quickly as she was last night.

Just gotta go with it, I guess.

She has gone to a country in Central America until the 24th, didn't bring a computer with her. I sort of missed her launch, didn't get to say goodbye (but, in all fairness, she didn't tell me she was leaving yesterday morning b/c the night before, I was out with friends and didn't have contact with her).

When she was in the air, I messaged her. I said something along the lines of:
"Have an amazing trip. Stay safeish (a little bit of trouble, I'll allow), take a lot of pictures so I can live vicariously through you, and have mucho, mucho fun."

"I reread what I wrote, and realized it sounded incredibly corny, but I have no regrets."

I didn't think she was going to see this for the month, so I didn't think I'd get a response. I decided to make this month a self-improvement month, and sort of put her on the back of my mind.

Then, this afternoon, I got a reply from her. It read:

"That was actually pretty sweet, even if it was corny. I will stay safe(ish)....I hope. [This country] is absolutely amazing. I met a kid here who reminds me a lot of you. He could be your little brother."

I was SO excited when I got this response (haven't responded yet). I told my ENFP friend (40 something years old), and she said "she definitely likes you and is missing you. She likes you A LOT. Just stay calm and cool. Don't overdo it with the response."

I was on Cloud 9.

Then, I told my INFJ friend (21 years old), and her response was: "eh. She probably told everyone that wished her a safe trip that that was sweet, and telling someone that they found someone that reminds them of them is pretty commonplace. It probably doesn't mean anything. Don't read into it too much."

Burst my bubble.

What do you guys think?

Talking as friends - Talking as more than friends all the time - Hookup - Talking as more than friends (much shorter time) - Drift out - Me wondering why she was flaking out on me - No longer wanting anything - Stop talking for 4 months - Pick up talking again - Friendzoned - Short time no talking - REALLY pick up talking again (she initiates) - "I'm PRETTY sure she likes me, but I'm not entirely sure, last time I told her, it didn't end well for me" - Fight - Now

I told her I've liked her before. About a year ago haha. She kind of just responded with an "I know."

Sorry to say this, but that sounds as if you're pretty much friendzoned. Hard to get out of it. If you go further into this, you will be become more and more friendzoned. First thing to do is detach. And not to do so as a temporary game with the expectation to come back later. No, you have to sincerely/honestly detach.

And then make her see you as a sexual being. And let her come to you, not you to her.

way too much drama going on here.

you need to simplify and not complicate.

ask her if she wants to be your girlfriend.

no? then just be friends, but be her friend. don't be her confidant. be supportive, but don't be the person she dumps all her issues on. that's what a boyfriend is for.

she knows what you have to offer.

I'm an ENTP. About the only way to catch me is to be persistent. I would also encourage you to make sure she knows you want a relationship, not just friends. If I don't like someone in that way, I'm usually really vocal about making sure to tell the other person.

I'm an ENTP. About the only way to catch me is to be persistent. I would also encourage you to make sure she knows you want a relationship, not just friends. If I don't like someone in that way, I'm usually really vocal about making sure to tell the other person.

Thanks for your response.

It has been about a year, and "persistence" pretty much describes EXACTLY how I've been around her.

I've read that once an ENTP friend-zones you, it's VERY hard to get out, but not impossible. As soon as I smelled "friend-zone," (she was very obvious about it), I cut her out, and let HER push her way back in.

I'm sort of just "acting cool" now. I don't intend to talk to her while she's abroad. A month isn't THAT much time, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I'm sure she'll contact me some way when she gets back.

After she called me a "friend" about 20 times in our little car ride, I told her I wasn't going to take her to that haunted house anymore, BUT I also mentioned how we can't ever hang out UNLESS it's in the context of a date. We haven't officially named our rendezvous a "date" yet, but I don't think she has amnesia THAT bad that she forgot that I said that to her. She's the one that asked me to take her.

The girl is pretty genuine. The games she plays I don't even think she's aware that she's playing. I think an issue as to why she "friend-zoned" me before is because she was struggling with guy troubles of her own (which she never explicitly told me about). She was involved in a weird love triangle between 3 guys she hated herself for liking because they "treated her like sh*t." She always commended me for being so honest and forward with her. I think the ENTP appreciates this.

Last edited:
way too much drama going on here.

you need to simplify and not complicate.

ask her if she wants to be your girlfriend.

no? then just be friends, but be her friend. don't be her confidant. be supportive, but don't be the person she dumps all her issues on. that's what a boyfriend is for.

she knows what you have to offer.

If there's something on her mind, I'm OK to listen to it, but acting as her counselor? She's actually decent enough not to do that to me (hasn't happened yet). We have, however, opened up to each other in the past. I trust her a lot.....something I don't do very easily, and she has caught herself sometimes saying, "wow, I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. I'm usually uncomfortable telling people this stuff." This has happened on a number of occasions.

Comfort is definitely there, but attraction? At one point, it was (see: she was naked on top of me), is it anymore? Maybe. I'm a good looking guy, and her friends think I'm a good looking guy. But is SHE attracted to ME? I mean, before she left, she was sort of wondering why I looked so "different." (I can pass for pretty much any ethnicity or race). The fact that she was once attracted to me makes me think that she can be (and maybe, even still is) attracted to me against/still.

Last edited:
Sorry to say this, but that sounds as if you're pretty much friendzoned. Hard to get out of it. If you go further into this, you will be become more and more friendzoned. First thing to do is detach. And not to do so as a temporary game with the expectation to come back later. No, you have to sincerely/honestly detach.

And then make her see you as a sexual being. And let her come to you, not you to her.

I think it'll help to mention, when this whole "I like you," "I know" thing was happening, we were in bed, making out. I've already told her, again, that I liked her and b/c of that, I canceled a rendezvous we were going to do together, didn't talk for 2-3 weeks, then she sort of eased her way in again. She has been coming to me. I'd say, right now, our initiations have been 60/40, she initiating conversations slightly more than I do.

Still, I'm going to remain quiet while she's abroad. If she messages me, I'll respond, but otherwise, I'm going to scold her for being on social networking sites too much.

Still, I'm going to remain quiet while she's abroad. If she messages me, I'll respond, but otherwise, I'm going to scold her for being on social networking sites too much.

Then I honestly don't know what to do about this. It's already annoying me and I'm not even part of it. But if I were in your situation I'll probably leave it alone and look for someone else :lol: