Emotional Modesty | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Emotional Modesty

I also think it is important to recognize that everybody has a varying degree of what they consider valuable and appropriate in the workplace. Strictly speaking, within the work environment, one must cultivate a carefully tailored set of behavior in order to stratigicaly get things accomplished. If I have to listen to you bitch about your workload for 10 minutes in order to make it easier for me to add to that workload, I will cultivate or "feign" interest and sympathy regardless of what my personal feelings on the issue are. Inside the confines of my mind, I am one of "those INTJs" a lot of the time and struggle to be more socially aware and responsive to others. Your perception is that they are being "fake", perhaps on their end it isn't fake but rather your perception. Often we mistakenly think our perception of everything is absolutely correct when it isn't even true 50/50 odds that you are correct.

I understand your point, but some things are not perception. Sometimes, it really is just fake. It's too forced to be mistaken for something else. And again, as I said, I was referring to when it is overdone; that's the problem I have with it. Of course, we should be nice, polite and respectful despite our personal feelings. That is not in dispute. It's when its imposed in a way that makes someone feel imposed on especially when it isn't necessary and won't really affect your ability to do what is required or expected. As I said, maybe we can find a way to do it so that it's more spontaneous and natural.