Does Yahweh/Jesus live by the Golden Rule? | INFJ Forum

Does Yahweh/Jesus live by the Golden Rule?

Apr 19, 2020
MBTI
thinking
Does Yahweh/Jesus live by the Golden Rule?

Most Christians seem to think so as they say that Yahweh/Jesus can do no evil.

We could look at all the commandments and laws but that might have us taking off in too many directions so I thought the Golden Rule might be a good starting point as it encompasses many of the commandments.

Most, I hope, start their moral thinking by some variant of the Golden Rule, a reciprocity rule, so I think we can all relate to some degree in judging Yahweh/Jesus.

Christians are told in scriptures to judge all things. Most Christians have judged Yahweh/Jesus and I wondered if others had as well.

Be you a Christian or not, could I have your overall thoughts and judgement of Yahweh/Jesus based on if you see him living by the Golden Rule?

Regards
DL

Yes he lived by it, there are examples of such within the Bible. Now, I am an Atheist myself and it has been a while since I've done any theological studies, or interpreted Christian scripture, but Jesus is always presented as the epitome of good because he is the Son of God incarnate. When Peter cut off the Roman soldier's ear, and Jesus healed him; cured lepers; cast out demons (Legion being a popular story); raised the dead; fed the starving, etc. He did it solely of compassion, not for material, spiritual or social gain. The fact that he died for the sins of the world sums it up really.

Indeed, Jesus can do no evil as he was blessed with the Holy Spirit, but that is not to say his humane nature could not be tempted (His 40 day fast in the desert, and the temptation of Satan being an example). He relied on God to stay true.

I would have to disagree with your point about people starting 'moral thinking' with the idea of consequences in mind. Arguably, ethical and righteous actions are undertaken not because of the like being potentially reflected back to yourself, but because it is intrinsically right to do so regardless of the consequence. If it were true that there was a 'reciprocity rule' I think we'd have far less martyrs and saints.
Also, how do Christians judge Jesus? To judge implies a superiority of some sort - what Catholics believe they are superior to Christ? (Just to play as devil's advocate for this one)

To judge implies a superiority of some sort

Does it, though?

I mean it can imply this, but I'm not sure it has to.

I would have to disagree with your point about people starting 'moral thinking' with the idea of consequences in mind. Arguably, ethical and righteous actions are undertaken not because of the like being potentially reflected back to yourself, but because it is intrinsically right to do so regardless of the consequence. If it were true that there was a 'reciprocity rule' I think we'd have far less martyrs and saints.

I'm not sure this is what the OP meant. (It could be). The Golden Rule says in effect: "Treat others are you would like to be treated."

It's not really a consequentialist principle.

Does it, though?

I mean it can imply this, but I'm not sure it has to.
Oh for sure it doesn't have to, but I was considering this more in the context of how someone can judge the Son of God; I was saying it for the sake of argument for OP's response (I edited a minute later stating my attempt to play devil's advocate with such a point).

I'm not sure this is what the OP meant. (It could be). The Golden Rule says in effect: "Treat others are you would like to be treated." It's not really a consequentialist principle.
I'm not entirely sure myself, but I took the OP's point of
by some variant of the Golden Rule, a reciprocity rule
to mean that as 'consequence', which informs moral decisions more so than anything. Hopefully it will be something which they clear up

Last edited:
Yes, Christ lives by his own rules. It's obvious if you adhere to scripture and the Christian tradition.

Also, gnosticism is heretical.

Jesus was never anointed King by the Jewish hierarchy so call him Jesus instead of Christ please.

The inquisitors called us that for sure because they did not want to admit that the only good Christians were Gnostic Christian like moral people of those days said as well as the intelligentsia of today say.

That aside, I would rather be called a heretic than a Christian that idol worships, against scriptures, especially a genocidal god.

I happen to disagree with your answer if you wish to continue in a civil way.

That may be beyond you given your reply, but if you do, I have a bone to pick with Jesus asking me to abdicate my responsibility for my sin, given that, as you sing at Easter, Adam's sin was a happy fault and necessary to Yahweh's plan.

If necessary to keep Yahweh's plan on the rails, I want to take credit for doing my little part. Jesus has no need to steal my glory.

Are you game, or are you a moral coward who can only throw names and no decent apologetics at me?

Apologies for the tone, but ---- you earned it, Christian scum.

Now we are even. Care to engage?

Regards
DL

Reactions: mintoots and Pin
Yes he lived by it, there are examples of such within the Bible. Now, I am an Atheist myself and it has been a while since I've done any theological studies, or interpreted Christian scripture, but Jesus is always presented as the epitome of good because he is the Son of God incarnate. When Peter cut off the Roman soldier's ear, and Jesus healed him; cured lepers; cast out demons (Legion being a popular story); raised the dead; fed the starving, etc. He did it solely of compassion, not for material, spiritual or social gain. The fact that he died for the sins of the world sums it up really.

Indeed, Jesus can do no evil as he was blessed with the Holy Spirit, but that is not to say his humane nature could not be tempted (His 40 day fast in the desert, and the temptation of Satan being an example). He relied on God to stay true.

Also, how do Christians judge Jesus? To judge implies a superiority of some sort - what Catholics believe they are superior to Christ? (Just to play as devil's advocate for this one)

You opened a lot of doors.

First, I just put a reply that questions the morality of substitutional punishment and Jesus asking us to abdicate our responsibility.

I gave one reason but if you wish, you might want to opine on the morality of punishing the innocent instead of the guilty as a policy for forgiving the guilty by punishing the innocent.

On your issue of doing good for the consequences, science is showing that we default to love, no argument there, but we do it for the positive consequence of cooperation and making friends because that is the best survival strategy. If not, we would default to competition and risk being the loser to that competition.

There is no real conflict between science and the Golden Rule, but it is done out of our selfishness. Nature demands it of us.

Have a look at this if you disagree.

Regards
DL

Oh for sure it doesn't have to, but I was considering this more in the context of how someone can judge the Son of God

The context is biblical instruction to test all concepts and lovingly correct those who do not agree with one's proper conclusion.

That is how notions are put to the fire of the burning bush for purification.

That is what is meant by scriptures that say Yahweh will use fire the next time he uses genocide on our ideas.

Most of what is scripture is supposed to indicate what happens in our minds.

That is why in the creation painting, Yahweh is shown as sitting on a representation of our brain's right hemisphere.

Creación_de_Adán_(Miguel_Ángel).jpg

Regards
DL

I need no authority to make a request for accuracy in a discussion

You need something other than a request if you are expecting any Christian to not call Christ, Christ.

What give you the authority to deny me a request for accuracy?
I just deposited a check into my bank account using my bank's electronic deposit feature! Need I say more?

Last edited:
Only when well done.

I admit to being serious about the harm Christianity does though. It is not a laughing matter to the many victims.

Regards
DL

So does every religion, and the lack there of.

Religion doesn't kill people. People kill people.

If its not religion its politics, nationality etc.

Religion is fine, its extreme religion that is the problem. Anyone who thinks their faith overrides basic human rights is an extremist and therefore a problem.

Otherwise live and let live.

The context is biblical instruction to test all concepts and lovingly correct those who do not agree with one's proper conclusion.

That is how notions are put to the fire of the burning bush for purification.

That is what is meant by scriptures that say Yahweh will use fire the next time he uses genocide on our ideas.

Most of what is scripture is supposed to indicate what happens in our minds.

That is why in the creation painting, Yahweh is shown as sitting on a representation of our brain's right hemisphere.

View attachment 66773

Regards
DL

That was actually thanks to the painter if I recall, he sneaked in some science without the Church knowing. If they had known they would have made him change it.

You need something other than a request if you are expecting any Christian to not call Christ, Christ.

You are correct.

To have liars stop lying takes more than a request.

I guess that if I showed you when they started lying about that from Chrestian holy books, you would not care either.

Most don't care that the bible is a plagiarized bunch of beliefs from older and wiser traditions.

Regards
DL

You are correct.

To have liars stop lying takes more than a request.

I guess that if I showed you when they started lying about that from Chrestian holy books, you would not care either.

Most don't care that the bible is a plagiarized bunch of beliefs from older and wiser traditions.

Regards
DL
Do tell. I'm dying to know.