Does INFJ = ADHD? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Does INFJ = ADHD?

I doubt that all INFJs have clinically relevant ADHD. That said, dominant Ni and inferior Se probably does have some similarities in appearance with ADHD-PI. The question is clinical relevance. If someone can function well enough to keep a job and maintain satisfactory relationships, then perhaps they are just differently gifted, and a diagnosis of ADHD may be unwarranted. However, there are those of us who are a danger to ourselves and our families when we are unmedicated. I have no issues with long term planning, decision making, or impulsivity. The thing that gets me is moment to moment functioning. I don't get distracted by external stimuli, I get distracted by the workings of my own mind. I cannot keep track of things in my immediate physical environment. I zone out and cannot remember whether or not I completed an important task. So I waste a lot of time checking myself. Yet I still somehow miss important things. I am not hyperactive at all, except in my mind... it will zoom in and hyperfocus on whatever concept I am interested in, while the rest of me operates on autopilot. I forget where I am going and why I am there. I look for things like my glasses or my phone when they are already in my hand...
I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult. It embarrassed me to admit that I really had a problem. But after I made a mindless mistake that could have been very dangerous, it scared me enough to get medicated. Meds are a long way from perfect. I still struggle with being spaced out and unaware of my surroundings. I still have to set up reminders on my phone for important things, or they won't happen. Meds help me function better on some levels, but I think my ability to commit things to long term memory is much worse. Or maybe I am just getting old.
In my opinion there is a huge difference between ADHD-PI and classic ADHD. I hate that the term ADD is no longer used, because ADHD-PI does not describe what I have, and it sounds misleading IMO.
I am of the personal opinion that classic ADHD is much more likely to correspond to ESTP or ESFP personality types... sensory types with high energy who notice everything in their environment. Completely different from Ni dominant types who live in their minds and lack awareness of the environment.
I enjoyed reading your your post, Macy. Relate to so much of it. I too was not diagnosed until later (30's) so I suffer the effects of years of undiagnosis. I rely on alarm clocks, lists, and notes. I'm an art teacher so fortunately I have found a career that suits my personality, and find the structure of school in general suits my academic leanings. Nevertheless, I once put a piece of bread in the toaster-over and fell asleep--awoke to see bright orange flames filling the toaster. Scared the heck out of me and i got rid of it. I also once left a gas burner on all day. I only own self-off irons for the same reason. Adderall and Ritalin cause me too much anxiety so I can't take them. Wellbutrin has helped. I am an INFJ and have ADD (without the H)...the reason I think there CAN be (though not always) correspondence between INFJ/ADD is because my form off ADD is the inattentive type (According to Dr. Amen's "types"). I've always been in my head as an introvert enjoying hyper-focused pleasant thoughts (or miserable when hyperfocused on a worry) and driven crazy/feel restless the rest of the time as thoughts zoom, zip, and bounce around like the "scan mode' on a radio. I once lost a set of keys--found in a bag in the staff refrigerator 3 years later! and numerous times have received--from altruistic strangers--my checkbook in the mail, once my licence, once a pocket bible. I have my name and address/phone on almost everything in the case I lose it. Most recently I'm benefitting from being in a 12 step program. The emphasis on living in the present moment and not "fighting" life, accepting where I am is OK, etc has lifted some burdens from my nearly-always guilt-ridden shoulders. thanks for listening.

I've said this before, but saying it again doesn't make it any less relevant. ADHD is not a disorder. ADD / HD are mock "disorders" meant to indoctrinate children. It is meant to stifle and condemn the creative mind in order to curb and control behavior. These "disorders" have poisoned your brains, as you were taught by society to believe that you're "not right" or something's wrong with you if you are diagnosed with these "conditions".

See beyond, and realize it's all the will of the government to control you. I too was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, and medicated for it. INFJ types don't fit in, and for a very good reason. The creative / critical thinking mind of an individual is more powerful than you have been taught to believe. Once you realize that, you are capable of more than you know. This is what your government fears.

Does INFJ = ADHD?
No.
When I used to assist with surgery I couldn’t have remained focused for hours on the tasks at hand if I had ADHD.
In other words...never had a problem focusing on a task, and never was hyperactive.
When I was a kid, I wouldn’t pay attention to things that disinterested me, but it wasn’t because I couldn’t pay attention...other subjects I would soak up like a sponge.
I have consistently tested as an INFJ my entire life.
Also was in the US Coast Guard, which is another job that wouldn’t be so great for someone with ADHD I suspect, though I could be wrong in my own assumptions.
So, just by my own subjective experiences - No.
Though I’m sure there are some INFJs with ADHD...imho it is probably more like there is someone with ADHD for every MBTI out there...I don’t see any deeper connection.

Disclosure: I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been addressed (wait, does this mean I have ADHD? :tongueout:)

I think with INFJs, both the process and purpose of their functions (Se gathering information for Ni which is frequently conveyed through Fe) will seem baffling, random and sometimes uncomfortable to more structured/traditional viewpoints (SJs especially). So some diagnosis or other becomes an easy explanation for what many people view as a nonstandard means of dealing with the world. For some, simply thinking and acting differently (even in a harmless manner) is enough to attach a label.

Disclosure: I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been addressed (wait, does this mean I have ADHD? :tongueout:)

I think with INFJs, both the process and purpose of their functions (Se gathering information for Ni which is frequently conveyed through Fe) will seem baffling, random and sometimes uncomfortable to more structured/traditional viewpoints (SJs especially). So some diagnosis or other becomes an easy explanation for what many people view as a nonstandard means of dealing with the world. For some, simply thinking and acting differently (even in a harmless manner) is enough to attach a label.
Whew! So perhaps I'm "normal" after all.
oV0fdhZ.gif

Last edited:

I think Ni is mystifying to someone like an ESTJ.

Reactions: infinite dreams
^ This.

ADD and ADHD have been the most over diagnosed "disorders" of the 20th and 21st century. A child has a short attention span in school? BAM! DISORDER! MEDICATE THEM! A child doesn't pay attention to certain stuff? BAM! DISORDER! MEDICATE THEM!. A child gets easily excitable about things on a (seemingly) random basic? BAM! DISORDER! MEDICATE THEM!

To anyone "medicated" because of ADHD, I always tell to drop the medication (it does more harm than good) and just enjoy their own quirks.

A bit off the original question, but there you go.

And your qualifications for making suggestions to people's medication?

My grandfather used to use an expression that sticks with me more and more as I get older. Never confuse the confidence of intelligence with the arrogance of ignorance.

You have done far less than the bare minimum of due diligence of educating yourself on a subject before subjecting others to the blather of your opinions.

ADD and ADHD are far, far more complex than having "a short attention span" or "not paying attention" or "being excitable", none of which are even actual symptoms of either disorder. The actual symptoms are far-reaching and complex and permeate a person's entire cognitive and reasoning systems, to the point of disabling or limiting executive functions.

And no, I hasten to add - knowing exactly what you'll say - that doesn't mean in the slightest that their intelligence is affected. It is not. Extremely bright people and very simple people have had ADD.

My suggestion to you is that you stop philosophizing an actual neurological condition. If you cannot define and describe cognitive functions as compared to executive functions and which set us used for what processes, shut the fuck up about the conditions and disorders affecting them.

Also, stop armchair diagnosing in general.

Dumbed down version: you're not a head doctor nor do you play one on TV, so screw your uninformed opinion.

To the OP: I do not know any INFJs in person (other than myself, and I honestly don't even know her all that well), but I do not have ADD. There are several people very close to me who do, and as the caregiver of one of them, I've done quite a bit of research and learned a lot from doctors about both ADD and ADHD. And autism too, but that's a whole other story.

Reactions: Dr Sir
I was diagnosed ADHD and am an INFJ but honestly I don't believe I ever had it. They concluded this due to the fact that I was only focused on things or subjects that I found interesting .... I would daydream the rest of the time. (Inattentive add)
Ritalin made me super focus on everything and I believe caused a variety of symptoms and issues i never had to begin with.
Unfortunately I believe a lot of adults and children are misdiagnosed.

INFJs have many of the symptoms of ADHD.

1. We tend to get hyperfocused on things that matter for us. The other stuff just tends linger there.

2. Hard to focus on a conversation and have an eyecontact since we create visual patterns with our Ni.

3. Can become hyperactive as enthusiasm of finding something new that we can relate with takes over.

4. Impulsive, on-off and black & white mentality spiced with someone hurting our feelings can lead to outburst of anger.

5. Quick decisions based on our intuition, again seen as impulsiveness.

6. Hard finishing taskes as the initial enthusiasm of the vision meets the restrictions of reality.

7. Tendency for addiction and pleasure that is caused by the unevolved Se.

8. Going against the stream and not fitting in socially, mostly because we exist on a different and more abstract plane psychologically.

9. Going with our emotions and finding hard to control them which depends on our sensitivity for all kind of stimuli, both intern and extern.

10. Stimulating medication has a calming effect since Ti is quiter and we can operate on the observer -mode instead of engaging ourselves in the Ni-Ti loop.

Reactions: Sandie33
None of the people I know who have ADHD has nothing in common with me when it comes to the psychological functions. As diagnosed with ADHD, I can relate to some of their behaviour but once we start to discuss, it becomes clear that we opperate on a totally different plane.

All my childhoos friends, my father, my cousins and some of my coworkers have ADHD. There is a strong sense of tribalism when I interact with my fellow ADHD minds. But if I had another upbring in a different enviroment where people had encouraged my creativity and sensitivity, I bet I would not be diagnozed with ADHD. ADHD is a behaviour I have grown into since all the aspects of it where encouraged by my peers. I was 25 once I rediscovered my true self and since then it has been a painful journey to rub off the tendecies I adopted earlier in ny life.

Reactions: Sandie33
once I rediscovered my true self and since then it has been a painful journey to rub off the tendecies I adopted earlier in ny life.
All my childhoos friends, my father, my cousins and some of my coworkers have ADHD. There is a strong sense of tribalism when I interact with my fellow ADHD minds.
As diagnosed with ADHD, I can relate
My question is, do you have the patterns of ADHD still? I ask because I was under the assumption that once an individual is diagnosed there is no going back. No cure so to say, but rather medication and self-maintenance of behaviors?

Reactions: TheFool
My question is, do you have the patterns of ADHD still? I ask because I was under the assumption that once an individual is diagnosed there is no going back. No cure so to say, but rather medication and self-maintenance of behaviors?

I can’t be cure nor do I have the need to be cured. ADHD for me is the same as being INFJ, both in good and bad. It is like refining a rough block of stone. Some sharp edges are chipped off and others are polished.

I love being creative, outside of the box thinker and spontaneous. Yes sometimes it feels like it would be so much easier just to be one of masses and have a dull and safe job but I am not here to fit in. I have my own purpose and all the fucked up and impulsive things I have done in my life have grown me in to the compassionate and “wise” individual I am today. Also running my own company for years has taught me so much I could never learn if I had worked as employee. ADHD has pushed me towards my own personal path.

I have stopped taking my medication since it takes away my sense of Self. Instead I,m focusing on cleaner diet, training 4 times a week, getting 8 hours of sleep, waking up early and spending more time with activities that I truly enjoy. All for boosting my natural dopamine levels.

I will never be a banker or an accountant with a solid income but I can be something else, more creative and inspiring. Perhaps someone who inspires the banker to do his / her job. :)

Last edited:
This is a very stigmatic comment :( makes me sad. It is beliefs like that which kept me from getting a diagnosis as a child and made life a lot harder for me growing up. I am an INFJ, I have ADHD as well. There are to types of the disorder- Hyperactive and Inattentive. I am the inattentive type which is common in females. Do some research on it.
I didn't think I could be an INFJ, as I am messy and disorganised, but it still seemed to fit me perfectly in other ways - then my Support Worker realised it was likely I have ADHD - Inattentive type. I have problems with executive function and came out very high on the official test by the assessor body recognised by the NHS (I'm in the UK). I have since come across an INTJ who has ADHD too and is a MBTI practitioner. You'd think it would be the least likely type to have it, and maybe it is. My friend is an ENTJ and has the Hyperactive sort of ADHD. He found ways of being organised at a young age though and is very good at getting things done as he's quick to make final decisions.