Does anyone have a right to save you from yourself? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does anyone have a right to save you from yourself?

The right to intervene? No. There should be no monarchy on morality, and it would create a slippery slope.
The option to assist? Of course.

This is a tricky situation, one repeated throughout history and probably never to be resolved. It's a political question about the boundaries of government. It's a moral question about freedom and responsibility. It's a psychological question about isolation and conditioning. It's an existential question about value and its origin.

When someone is making a serious mistake in their lives, something that could seriously hurt them emotionally or socially, even physically, does anyone have the right to step in and save someone from themselves? (philosophical question)

All of my responses are geared towards adults. When dealing with children it's an entirely different situation.

"Does anyone have the right?" I would have to ask who is the person judging whether or not the situation is a mistake or going to hurt someone. Sounds like a judgment call. What I think is a serious mistake someone else may be actively seeking and desiring.

What exactly does "save" entail? Is it a little help, a lot of help, is it healthy? What if my definition of "save" is different than the person I am trying to "save"?

If I ask someone, "are you having difficulty with this, would you like my help?" and they say no, I respect that. What I think is right or wrong, mistake or correct is exactly that "what I think". I don't have to live their life, they do. I might however say this, "well if you need help at a later date just holler".

If I make a decision and someone interferes with my decision without asking me or has asked me and I said no thank you and then they choose to try to "save" me anyway, I perceive that as arrogance, disrespect, and forcing their belief system on me. If at a later date I realize that I was indeed making a mistake but did not realize it, I can correct it and seek help if neccessary. If the person trying to help me is still in my life I will tell them that they were right, I did need help. This is the beauty of being human, we can change.

I realize this is my opinion and there are many sides to this question. I feel to each his own, but please do not try to "save" me without asking me first and being given my permission. Thank you.

Last edited:
When someone is making a serious mistake in their lives, something that could seriously hurt them emotionally or socially, even physically, does anyone have the right to step in and save someone from themselves? (philosophical question)

The right? Hmm, that’s difficult to say. Who determines their rights? Without a standard the word “right” is a slippery thing to nail down. For example, you could say I have the right to discipline my children in the way I see fit but there are laws in place that take away my right to discipline them outside of a certain standard or code of behavior. I have rights but only within a certain structure designed and agreed upon by others; others with the authority to make it and the power to enforce it. So, to ask if a person has a certain right I would require additional information.

On a more personal level, if it is an obvious mistake and their doom is eminent I would try to render assistance whether it was my right or not. I’ll not have the blood of the innocent or the ignorant on my hands because I was too concerned about rights and rules to get off my ass and help another human being. If it was not my right then I would rather suffer the consequences of acting out of turn than the guilt and/or regret of standing idly by while another person slips into ruin, misery, or death.

Last edited:
As the question stands, if they are an adult, NO.
They dont have the right to offer suggestion, but you have the right to not let them offer suggestion? Or is it something else?

Last edited:
The question says "right"--you don't have any rights where someone else's life is concerned.

Now if the OP had said "obligation"---different story.

If I was a parent, yes I'd say I have the right to save my children from themselves if I see them putting themselves in danger physically, emotionally, or socially. It would be part of my job/parental privilege. No question. I am not going to bring someone in this world and step back and watch them make self destructive or damaging distances because they are adults. My love for them as a parent wouldn't just let me stand by. And I am not talking about one of those tough love scenarios where a parent may need to step back and do nothing so that their son or daughter can learn important life lessons for themselves. I am referring to situations in which their decisions and actions are putting them in harms' way. I wouldn't consider myself a parent if I didn't try to save them.

As a friend to someone, I may not have the right, but I do have the responsibility to intervene if I can be of help to someone who may be headed in a self destructive direction.

As a complete stranger or acquaintance, I may not have the right or the responsibility, to save someone from themselves, but I may consider offering assistance as someone else pointed out, or ask if they would consider some advice.

So, it depends.

Hopefully, you noticed where I said "if you are an adult" in my earlier post

You only have a responsibility if you accept it. Hence saying "obligation" becomes a bit trickier question to answer.

i'm very introverted, passive, quiet and careful with my thoughts - but in the instance of potential serious harm to loved one a great feeling of strength and readiness comes over, and i try do all i can to help protect (from themselves or another person).
right or wrong. i don’t know/ don’t care.

This is such a complex question that I can't make a blanket statement about it. It depends on the situation. But in brief yes there are certain situations where it is okay to save someone from themselves.

I am not sure I am able to provide a satisfying answer, as I cannot even find a concrete angle from which to approach this problem. I would say my path lies in the definition of "right" and how morality interplays on a personal and social level. Does right mean that a person has the ability to interfere in someone else's affairs (with the justification of saving him/her) without fear of punishment or rebuke, either legally or socially; or is it an absolute allowance to act without guilt and with the authority of conscience? I think it often falls in the category of whether one's actions are socially and/or legally permissible, and that seems like a much easier problem to "solve." We have legal systems and cultural norms that often reasonably well define what actions are and are not allowed (whether individuals agree with these societal norms is irrelevant), and these can be applied to the act of saving someone. The real problem then comes with the issue of personal morality.

Even on a personal level, there seems to be a strong influence of societal thought in what gives someone the right to save someone else. This is because it falls in the ambiguity of what should be allowed where the law is not concerned. If someone really wants to drink heavily to the point where it could kill them, is it okay to stop them from doing so? Committing suicide outright is illegal, but living a destructive and unhealthy lifestyle that would lead to an early death is not. Yet it is thought that life is valuable and ideally should be enjoyed happily, so there is a strong current to help/fix those who are unhappy/ill. But all that stems from the belief that life should be continued on. What of those who believe otherwise?

I believe it's very important to try to help other people, mostly because I believe that many people who are unwell do not want to be that way, and would ideally prefer to be happy and healthy. This line of reasoning would then bring me to a point where I would approve of someone trying to "save" someone else to bring them out of misery or to stop them from doing actions that would only lead them to an unhappier state of existence. However, a whole basket full of problems appear at this point. How does one know who is qualified to help someone else? What if someone tries to help but only makes it worse, because they were incapable of helping in a better way or they simply made a mistake? Are good intentions a strong enough justification to take someone's life in your hands (at least to a certain extent)?

I am a person who 'judges' based upon intentions, so I wouldn't necessarily hold someone responsible for a poor outcome. However, I also believe that having good intentions does not make one infallible to criticism, especially if someone trying to save someone else is clearly grasping at straws and doing dangerous things themselves. Having multiple viewpoints is incredibly important, so I would say if one is trying to "save" someone else, they should, almost without exception, not try alone, even if another's involvement is minimal.

A problem I cannot resolve is what you do about the outliers. I believe most people would want a happy, long life. But as with any characteristic or belief, there are those who would naturally have a different viewpoint. I think many, if not all in this category, would be considered in some way mentally ill, because mental illnesses are psychological deviations from the norm. But if someone understood they were going down the path of destruction or to suicide, and they did so purposefully with a clear and rational mindset, I would have a hard time arguing against that. After all, people do sacrifice themselves for others. Would it be correct to save someone who intended to sacrifice him/herself for another?

The lines are all unclear, and at the end of the day all events happen in only one way, regardless of how many possibilities there were and the rights and justifications of those involved. Such is our existence.

Reactions: Blackmountainside
The laws on mental illness are such that people who are clearly delusional (schizophrenics) must be restrained if they pose a threat to others. Which is less 'saving yourself from yourself' and more 'saving others from yourself'. Then again, I don't find crazy people as scary as many do. Most of them, IMO, are pretty okay, and quite rational in their own way.

Essentially, I'm not sure yet. But, if mental institutions exist, there ought to be strict laws on what can and cannot happen in there.

Doesnt everyone have a duty to save people from whatever dangers exist? Probably yes.

Reactions: 894tt3h9