Do you read Megatokyo? | INFJ Forum

Do you read Megatokyo?

Animekitty

Regular Poster
Aug 28, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
If you have then has it had an impact on your life?

When I read it I see the struggles the characters go threw and have a propound connection to what they are feeling. I see a resemblance to my life in the confusion they have about themselves and others. Not knowing the difference between to real and fake you. Not knowing what to do or if you can really be accepted and not reject yourself. Going threw heartache and in doing so learning to make yourself a stronger person. Looking at life as it is but pushing against the negative to see the positive to discover that thing are not as hopeless as they seem. Reaching a maturity of how to view life's journey with others.

That is some of what I'v experienced from this story. It gets more complicated when I contemplate it and with each new book is released. Wikipedia says shakespeare was INFP. I might not have read any of his works but if I was to come to any conclusion about him just from those four letters I would have to say that this story is a visual representation of the human condition as so many acclaim would need to be understood by an author to enter the domain of a great works of literature.

I read it. I liked it more at first through... there seem to have been too many side-stories suddenly brought in that distract away from the main plot.

It had an influence on my life at first, in the way it made me think that being published isn't just a dream. Because, well, the guy who writes/draws it seems like a completely normal guy and he managed it, right? (I was pretty young when I first read it)
But then, Paris Immortal had a similar effect in the way that I felt if that kind of storyline/writing style could be published, then anyone had a chance (not in a bad way, really).

I am a little sad it didn't finish in the last book as it was supposed to - that would have been a nice time to finish.

Tohya Miho - The Mystery of Megatokyo.

The story of Megatokyo revolves around many themes from video games to anime to fantasy vs reality but the main archetypes represented is shown in the character Tohya Miho. Miho is a "Magic Girl". Where as ninja live by the code of honor magic girls in anime live by the code of love. They help others to find peace and happiness. Though a conscious such are the one Piro and Largo have may guild them along the way, the characters representing Piro and Largo's conscious can only help them reflect of making right choices. Magic girls see what is in the persons heart and so give more than advice, a true perspective on life because they "know" why people make mistakes and are confused inside. Yuki is another magic girl in the story and here mom once was a magic girl herself. But unlike Miho she is unaware of this until late in the story.

Unlike regular magic girls they do not use magic as often as in anime. Miho once said that her favorite episode of "girl phase" was when the magic girl of that anime saves the day without magic but by being herself when she losses her powers, realizing magic is part who she is along with her personal inner strength and resourcefulness. Unforthcoming Miho sees this as something she can not achieve. Yuki's father once said that he almost lost Tokyo because of something Tohya Miho did. This has lead everyone to hate her or at least view as a manipulative person.

In one scene Yuki was caught shop lifting (something her mother does by accident) but Tohya lied to the policeman and store clerk by saying she was "using" Yuki to steal it and Yuki was unaware of it. She was protecting her because she believes its almost pointless to change the views portrayed of her. She accepts it as part of what she. As a manipulative person at the core. This explains the behavior seen all through Megatokyo of Tohya Miho. She cant be like the magic girl in "Girl Phase" Everything she does to try to help others is seen a manipulation on her part. She cannot even live up to the fantasy she wants for herself to be.

Yuki is a magic girl trying to save another magic girl but Tohya cannot look at this as something Yuki can do. She refers to Yuki as a "short video game" at the ager she feel for being misunderstood. She thinks she does not deserve love from others when everything that has happen if proof in her mind that manipulative magic girls are not meant for it. She hurts to many people by being herself. When a magic girl hurts the people she love's they don't know what to do. An the hurt the feel inside is more complex when they are complex. Yukis mom knows why Tohya is so confused but Tohya interprets her wisdom as confirmation of being a manipulative individual. She is trying to accept that false idea as part of her nature.

Guilt felt from recurrent lashing out deepens the emotional wounds when she cant tell the difference between the feeling that she is justified in having. This is what brings her that guilt, that she confuses people instead of helping them. This what she thinks she did to Piro, making him hate himself but Piro says to her that he had the problems to begin with.

I suspect that Toyha thought she was making Piro addicted to fantasy, to fake love. When kimikos roommate left voice acting Tohya conflicted by what she thought she did to Piro almost made many other people stop believing in themselves. Tohya might have been a really nice magic girl even the best, but she decided to destroyed the entire "End Gamers realm" to try to stop people from their addiction to video games. She thought it would save Piro and everyone but it also took away the healthy fantasies needed for Tokyo.

Last edited: