logan235711

Community Member
Oct 6, 2008
MBTI
INxJ
Enneagram
1w9 sosxsp
Do you practice Chinese martial arts?

I've been doing it for a couple of years now. I've found it much more rewarding than going to the gym or engaging in strange, artificial motions with giant pieces of machinery. In retrospect, I couldn't imagine going back to my former exercise life. The only thing I've taken with me are my warm-up and cool-down wisdom. I really enjoy the whole body workout that is possible with Chinese martial arts (compared to say Japanese arts like Karate, Jiujitsu, or Judo), and the healthier, repetitious motions that build up efficient muscle (compared to say running or biking, where the long term repeated motions can emphasis impractical muscle segments and develop joint problems). Also, it's nice to learn an activity you can actually use!

However, I am very fortunate to have the teachers I do. I know that it's very common to learn from poor teachers (who either aren't strong themselves, or take advantage of the ignorance of their Western students to correct Eastern concepts & ideas), and that the teachers I currently have spent many years of their life finding the ones they currently have. I've been able to train for free with a small group of people at our local parks. I began with Choy Li Fut and am now in Magui Baguazhang.

How about you?

I've been doing Tai Chi for years, i love it. It's absolutely awesome. Been practicing on and off with people who do kung fu. Pretty similar. It's just the right way to move the body in my opinion.

I've found it much more rewarding than going to the gym or engaging in strange, artificial motions with giant pieces of machinery. In retrospect, I couldn't imagine going back to my former exercise life.

Couldn't agree more.

For those new, Taijichuan (different from simply Taiji), Baguazhang and Xingyiquan are the three main internal martial arts. They go about developing power in a different manner than the 'external arts' (such as Choy Li Fut, Hung Ga and Shequan). Also is the idea that most external artists eventually move to the internal arts as they mature. It's because the internal arts require more patience and are less flashy, so the young kids don't tend to be as interested; it contains a greater potential of power; and most importantly it's healthier for the body esp. as one ages.

I don't do Taijichuan, but some of my favorite videos is of Great Grandmaster Hu Yuen Chou, who passed away in 1997. I find them inspirational. He was a teacher of Doc-Fai Wong, who was in turn my Choy Li Fut teacher's teacher.

[video=youtube;Idz9xJmA9hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idz9xJmA9hs[/video]

Here's a video of him teaching Choy Li Fut. You can tell he developed a deep understanding with his arts.
[video=youtube;2rANnZC3WIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rANnZC3WIQ[/video]

I don't really like his style of movement, but saying that he's good would be an understatement.

[video=youtube;vsDPy7zMrA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDPy7zMrA4[/video]

This is more to my liking :)

Edit: Also i'm pretty sure he could kill a grown man with 1 hit :)

Edit2: Damn check 7:50! - i mean 6:50*

Last edited:
very artistic

i also like the movements of shaolin monks

I've practiced Jeet Kun Do. Part of it's purpose was to take what was useful from the traditional arts, namely Wing Chun, and leave out what was of no use; for the purpose of real fighting. It's an amazing art.

i watch these kinda videos, so well-balanced and fluid

[youtube]WqOzIt1FRXk[/youtube]
[youtube]WAGyB0AF6dw[/youtube]

*Deleted so as not to offend sprinkles delicate sensibilities.*

Last edited:
Do you practice Chinese martial arts?

I've been doing it for a couple of years now. I've found it much more rewarding than going to the gym or engaging in strange, artificial motions with giant pieces of machinery. In retrospect, I couldn't imagine going back to my former exercise life. The only thing I've taken with me are my warm-up and cool-down wisdom. I really enjoy the whole body workout that is possible with Chinese martial arts (compared to say Japanese arts like Karate, Jiujitsu, or Judo), and the healthier, repetitious motions that build up efficient muscle (compared to say running or biking, where the long term repeated motions can emphasis impractical muscle segments and develop joint problems). Also, it's nice to learn an activity you can actually use!

However, I am very fortunate to have the teachers I do. I know that it's very common to learn from poor teachers (who either aren't strong themselves, or take advantage of the ignorance of their Western students to correct Eastern concepts & ideas), and that the teachers I currently have spent many years of their life finding the ones they currently have. I've been able to train for free with a small group of people at our local parks. I began with Choy Li Fut and am now in Magui Baguazhang.

How about you?

I don't practice Chinese martial arts but I would love to. I really love seeing actors like Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee doing some martial arts, particularly Kung Fu.

I've always wanted to learn martial arts, but I don't have access to a teacher. Are there any good DVDs out there to learn from that really teach (not those videos of masters doing it really fast without explaining), and are also a fun workout?