Do some Halloween costumes offend you? | INFJ Forum

Do some Halloween costumes offend you?

I'm white, It's always been just the general assumption that people can make fun of my race so uhhhh, I guess I don't care? it seems a bit to me like they are all making fun of certain specific characters not of a race anyway. So it's kinda like me getting all offend at a woman dressing as a lumber jack thinking she's trying to portray all men that way or something.

Geez, what can I say? Nowadays everything is racist, and everyone WANTS to be offended, especially those who can't deal with any negativity at all and who think everything is about them. Funny though how there are no accusations about racism against white people, ever. :rolleyes:

Amen [MENTION=1425]Korg[/MENTION]

there are no accusations about racism against white people, ever. :rolleyes:

There is occasionally, but only if it's really blatant. White people typically find other ways onto this offend band wagon though on basis of their sex, weight, religion etc.

@subwayrider that record is worth a fortune if you can get your hands on one. :p

Costume = a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, especially to a nation, region, group, or historical period.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimage...onsciousness-about-racist-halloween-costumes/

Do you get offended if someone dresses in a costume that reflects negative aspects of your culture?

No...well maybe, I can understand why some people might get offended. People take some costumes a little too far.

Klan Flag Costume.jpg Bad Priest Costume.jpg Twin Tower Head.jpg

Personally the costume that usually rubs me the wrong way is a Jesus Christ costume but I don't think that falls under "negative aspects of your culture". I don't like people portraying my hero in a negative way but I'm also not willing to infringe upon someones freedom to do so. The priest costume up there does make me feel some serious rage. If there was ever a costume that could invoke violence in me it would be one like that. I apologize for posting it but it seemed the best way to support the concept of an offensive costume.

As long as they're funny or clever, I'll think they're great! The same goes for jokes. If a joke is racist to be racist (or any other -ist) but it just sucks, then it's an awful joke! The racism isn't the defining quality of a good joke - it's the humor in the joke (or in this case, costume) that matters. I take racism to be mostly comedy potential - because it makes people so uncomfortable. So anytime it is blatantly used (especially innocently) it tends to trigger humor in me from the standpoint of Refuge in Audacity: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RefugeInAudacity

So, for costumes, some would just be lame and tasteless and boring. Some would be clever and hilarious.

We are all offended by something. I am offended by things, but they're different than what others are offended by. I tend to try to overlook my own feelings of being offended when I am offended... because I see no universal basis for being offended at anything! Because of that, however, I tend to get pissy when others start voicing their completely subjective anger at things they don't like... as if their subjective opinion was based on a universal FACT... which it isn't at all. I suppose that's one of my subjective "I'm offended!" lines: Hypocrisy and dishonesty and unwillingness to really look at what they're doing or saying.

So I tend to think anything is up for joking, as long as it's funny.

I know people identify with the amount of pigment in their skin a lot, and with their culture. Racial pride strengthens racism. I don't really identify with my skin color. I recognize my own skin color, but it's more of a matter of what my eye color might be. Still, though, skin color chimes in my mind because I know so many others make judgments and decisions based on it. That, and there's certainly the biological heuristic lurking around that makes snap judgments based on skin color. All of us have that - and anyone who says that they don't is a LIAR LIAR PANTIES ON FIRE.

So, what's the difference between Batman and a black man?
Batman can go out at night without Robin. :3

not-a-costume-vampire.png

3c2c6f6a-290a-4351-adcd-ef7a936752f5.jpg

not-a-costume-tigger.jpg

Reactions: Sriracha and the
Part of what is wrong with the world these days is every body takes themselves too seriously.

I remember as a kid in the early 70's having a friend that went trick or treating dressed as Hitler.
All we heard all night was how great his costume was! And this was in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.
Try that today and his parents would be reported to child protective services.
But back then it was taken for what it was and nothing more.

Costume = a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, especially to a nation, region, group, or historical period.

No...well maybe, I can understand why some people might get offended. People take some costumes a little too far.

Personally the costume that usually rubs me the wrong way is a Jesus Christ costume but I don't think that falls under "negative aspects of your culture". I don't like people portraying my hero in a negative way but I'm also not willing to infringe upon someones freedom to do so. The priest costume up there does make me feel some serious rage. If there was ever a costume that could invoke violence in me it would be one like that. I apologize for posting it but it seemed the best way to support the concept of an offensive costume.

I'm sorry, dude; to me, that's just hilarious.
I think we should accept that these things can and do happen, and that not everyone will share your views. It's just a part of life.

This got me thinking about whether I would be offended by anything, or not. Something that might really hit a nerve. I can't think of anything.

Part of what is wrong with the world these days is every body takes themselves too seriously.

I remember as a kid in the early 70's having a friend that went trick or treating dressed as Hitler.
All we heard all night was how great his costume was! And this was in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood.
Try that today and his parents would be reported to child protective services.
But back then it was taken for what it was and nothing more.

Wow! I have a really hard time believing that-- especially in a Jewish neighborhood. I guess things really have changed.

I get offended when people are blatantly racist. If their costume is just an excuse to be bigoted. At the same time I know that they really are as ignorant as they seem. They should not keep that stuff bottled up inside them.

Making light of a tragedy is dark. I really have to shake my head when I see that kind of thing, but again part of those folks really is that dark.

I like it when folks take the opportunity to try to live a bit of a dream.

I'm white, It's always been just the general assumption that people can make fun of my race so uhhhh, I guess I don't care? it seems a bit to me like they are all making fun of certain specific characters not of a race anyway. So it's kinda like me getting all offend at a woman dressing as a lumber jack thinking she's trying to portray all men that way or something.

At the same time, many people maintain double-standards about this. If it's OK to make fun of whites, then it should be OK to make fun of blacks, or to make fun of Mexicans, and yet, in many cases, such behavior is deemed unacceptable.

I have a quote that came to mind. It explains part of my philosophy when it comes to this:

"Sometimes, you do have to laugh to keep from crying."

Nothing comedic really offends me, when things are done from a place of hate, cruelty or ignorance though I can become offended.