Do lyrics enhance or distract from music? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do lyrics enhance or distract from music?

The music we think of as great throughout history was instrumental. Even listening to Handel's Messiah I myself am taken more by the music than the words being sung. Curious as to the thoughts of others about the importance of the word in music. . does it add or distract?

What makes Classical music great isn't whether it has lyrics, it's the 'form'. The writing follows certain complex and intelligent rules. I won't get into it now. Bach is perfect.

There are certain writing formulas for modern music, too, that are more popular than others. One reason so much modern pop sounds similar is that the same people write the songs and follows formulas. However tedious is may seem, that music sells.

Personally, sometimes I like songs specifically because of the lyrics, other times the lyrics are so stupid that it drives me away from enjoying the song.

The music we think of as great throughout history was instrumental. Even listening to Handel's Messiah I myself am taken more by the music than the words being sung. Curious as to the thoughts of others about the importance of the word in music. . does it add or distract?
Depends on the song and the singer.If the singer sings and you can't really understand the words yes they are good but the lyrics distract me more.

There are quite a few songs that I like to listen to both for the sung melody and lyrics as well as the music. I can get lost in the way a certain part is played on the instrument and in the same piece I can get goosebumps for the way a line is delivered.
I guess as a non-native I can tune out the lyrics more easily. Even though I'd like to think of my English capabilities as so proficient that it's the language I dream in (sometimes I honestly don't know).

I love Celtic and Nordic styles! Listening to the songs here as I write this. Still want to learn the ancient dialects.

Lyrics definitely enhance the song but I enjoy instrumental music as well. Both are good. It really depends on my mood and what I feel like listening.

I'm primarily interested in lyrics for a song. The music is irrelevant. For me from music I'm looking for a message that I resonate with. If I can't understand the Lyrics to a song like they're slurred or drowned out by the music I don't enjoy the song. I like instrumental music too, like y'all know I love Maggot brain, but it's not quite the same as a song with lyrics and a message

I listen more for the emotional energy and atmosphere. I may love a song for a long time before I know the lyrics and understand what I think they mean. Most songs I don't care about the lyrics as long as the way it sounds is asthetically pleasing.

I'm primarily interested in lyrics for a song. The music is irrelevant.

I don't think the music is ever exactly irrelevant. Otherwise you'd just be reading poetry :wink:

That said, there are certain music genres where lyrics take precedence over the music. Most singer songwriter music is like that.

When it comes to hip hop it turns out I'm shallow and mostly enjoy sick beats. I don't like my music to be too cluttered with words. But often my favorite hip hop artists are those who manage to bring together great production and impactful rapping, which includes the lyrics. Kendrick Lamar and Denzel Curry are two contemporary examples. Earl Sweatshirt, too.

it is interesting. . I have a favorite song. . the All the Way duet of Frank Sinatra and Celine Dion. I have performed it in the past,and found the instrumental only version online. I found that I had never really paid much attention to the music, it was the lyrics that moved me, and the music was just there, and didn't even register

I don't think the music is ever exactly irrelevant. Otherwise you'd just be reading poetry :wink:

That said, there are certain music genres where lyrics take precedence over the music. Most singer songwriter music is like that.

When it comes to hip hop it turns out I'm shallow and mostly enjoy sick beats. I don't like my music to be too cluttered with words. But often my favorite hip hop artists are those who manage to bring together great production and impactful rapping, which includes the lyrics. Kendrick Lamar and Denzel Curry are two contemporary examples. Earl Sweatshirt, too.
What I mean is I sometimes enjoy a song with music I hate because of the lyrics

What I mean is I sometimes enjoy a song with music I hate because of the lyrics

Yeah, fair enough! If I don't care for the melody I might still be able to enjoy a song with good lyrics. But if the song is badly produced then somehow this makes it harder for me to enjoy it.

Yeah, fair enough! If I don't care for the melody I might still be able to enjoy a song with good lyrics. But if the song is badly produced then somehow this makes it harder for me to enjoy it.
Interesting. Yeah for me it's definitely always been function over form.

What can I say!

Interesting. Yeah for me it's definitely always been function over form.

What can I say!

Well it's easy to summarise: you're deep, I'm superficial :grinning:

It depends on what the artist intends the music to be. Some songs come to you with words and all. Others are just music. I play acoustic guitar and I have written songs that have lyrics. And some of my songs are just the guitar. On the acoustic only songs it's about the playing. With lyrics they must compliment one another.