Do lyrics enhance or distract from music? | INFJ Forum

Do lyrics enhance or distract from music?

David54

David
Donor
May 29, 2011
Hometown
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
type 4w5
The music we think of as great throughout history was instrumental. Even listening to Handel's Messiah I myself am taken more by the music than the words being sung. Curious as to the thoughts of others about the importance of the word in music. . does it add or distract?

I think this depends on the song and further on the lyrics themselves being sung. If someone chanted over and over the same thing while a beautiful piece of instrumental played in the background, yeah I would be annoyed at the words even being there.

Last edited:
I like music with and without music. I play strictly classical piano and have a deep appreciation for it, but I also love to sing along with music and need words to sing. I see value in both, especially because there are people with truly beautiful voices which only add to the musical piece.

I spend a lot of time driving for work and so I listen to a lot of music. At the end of the day, I just get tired of hearing other people's words to music. I'd have to turn it off. It becomes limiting. So I started listening to the classical station awhile ago and it is mind expanding. Never dull and very relaxing. Sometimes though, I also like to listen to songs in other languages. Because voices are beautiful but I don't always want to focus on the words or message. That's not to say I don't value songs and songwriting. I think it all depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes I just want that sensory experience with it. Sometimes I want out of someone else's head.

Last edited:
@Impact Character . .was interested in this as well. .
foreign language music/lyrics is interesting. . sometimes listening to lyrics in other languages is very distracting. .but then with certain ancient dialects it is intoxicating. . particularly Gaelic and Celt tongues. .

I just noticed that I feel more at home in instrumental music. As soon as lyrics are involved it is narrower or more limited, but not necessarily in a bad way. I mean that sometimes I want to emote or I try to deliver a specific theme or feel of a character, lyrics can be a great tool to capture that.

Instrumental music however leave alot space..white space.. it seems to bring me back to my self, and often give me a break from language and translation processes in means of interacting with the world.

@Impact Character . .was interested in this as well. .
foreign language music/lyrics is interesting. . sometimes listening to lyrics in other languages is very distracting. .but then with certain ancient dialects it is intoxicating. . particularly Gaelic and Celt tongues. .

^^ I actually like a japanese artist who invented her own language. It really makes no sense but the emotion or message is still there.

^^ I actually like a japanese artist who invented her own language. It really makes no sense but the emotion or message is still there.
This sounds really fascinating. You really can feel the emotion in a song without knowing a single word.. I often listen to music in Spanish or French or whatever just to absorb the intensity of emotion without the lyrics obstructing the pure Ni absorption of emotion.. :)

This sounds really fascinating. You really can feel the emotion in a song without knowing a single word.. I often listen to music in Spanish or French or whatever just to absorb the intensity of emotion without the lyrics obstructing the pure Ni absorption of emotion.. :)

Totally! :) It's not only in songs, also when you are in a foreign culture, and you listen to people talking without knowing the language. You pick up all sorts of things that mold into an impression of the person but also of the culture.

If I try to explain this I would say that lyrics have an outer world feel and instrumental have an inner world feel.~ That weird non existing language fascinated me because it was almost bridging these two.

Can you post a vid or link? I'd love to check that out.

Almost forgot her name there, had to look it up. lol

Just type in Yoko Kanno on YT, her spirit or handwriting shines through many different soundtracks.

Totally! :) It's not only in songs, also when you are in a foreign culture, and you listen to people talking without knowing the language. You pick up all sorts of things that mold into an impression of the person but also of the culture.

If I try to explain this I would say that lyrics have an outer world feel and instrumental have an inner world feel.~ That weird non existing language fascinated me because it was almost bridging these two.
Yes, this!! I moved from America to The Netherlands and It is so true.. as you have described. :)

Thanks for sharing the artist, btw :)

Yes, this!! I moved from America to The Netherlands and It is so true.. as you have described. :)

Thanks for sharing the artist, btw :)

^^ my pleasure.. <3

(America to Netherlands is a big change)

For me it comes down to my intent whilst listening to music. Unless I'm specifically looking for a subset tone within the music (regardless of genre) then I usually pay more attention to it - if I'm just listening on the radio, or just casually sat on my bed the lyrics become secondary; white noise.

I'm a particular lover of instrumental music though, or old Celtic/Nordic style songs (The Last Kingdom soundtrack is one of my all time favourites for a show) - both because of how much more evocative I find it, but also I believe with such music comes more self interpretation rather than what the lyrics are basically telling you to infer. This is an awesome thread idea ;D

Sometimes though, I also like to listen to songs in other languages. Because voices are beautiful but I don't always want to focus on the words or message.

Check this one out, you're even in the video ;)

I do really enjoy Irish folk music, I don't understand a word of it, but it resonates somehow. .I've also been listening to ancient Nordic music and connect with that as well. .

To me they have "origin vibe".

Had to share these stunning songs.

:<3purple: