Do INFJs have exceptional memories?

Lurk

[ what ]
Jan 13, 2017
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
6,9 & 4
One childhood friend whom I believe to be an INFJish girl once told me she had a memory like an elephant. She pivoted to establish eye contact with me to let me know she knew. She seemed proud of her memory because it was one of her few social survival skills. Let's face it: If you had a friend who could quote you from a conversation held three years ago to illustrate how you've evolved, it could seem eerie.

She was so introverted and buried in herself that she needed to store memories as references and creative fodder.

My INFJ nephew has a great memory, which he employs to let others know that, although he may tuck away for a while, he is back to speed immediately when he emerges.

Does this have something to do with the "INFJ doorslam?"

I have a poor memory.

I do have an exceptional memory. It's both a gift and a curse. Even the really bad stuff that happened years and years ago that I'd rather be locked away forever can be recalled in detail as if it only just happened. But then I can easily forget completely basic and practical things.

I do have an exceptional memory. It's both a gift and a curse. Even the really bad stuff that happened years and years ago that I'd rather be locked away forever can be recalled in detail as if it only just happened. But then I can easily forget completely basic and practical things.

Brain clutter.

Sensitive people with excellent memories worry me. Anyway.

Use your powers for good, my friend. :studying:

Who is @Free?
LNJgH9n.gif

I never thought of mine as particularly good for a long time. Better than some yeah, but it wasn't until I really started asking people specifics about their memory that I realized mine had some definite perks. It only remembers all of the weird useless shit, but it remembers it like a champ.

I relate to this so much, @Free :)

Certain things (the practical things) I remember for barely longer than a goldfish would. But for other things it seems that I have an exceptional memory. Often enough, I tell people in detail about something they shared with me in the past, while they have no recollection of telling me; sometimes they can't remember it and it's only when I give them the details of it that they begin to remember it.

It happened twice on Tuesday and once last night anyway.

I relate to this so much, @Free :)

Certain things (the practical things) I remember for barely longer than a goldfish would. But for other things it seems that I have an exceptional memory. Often enough, I tell people in detail about something they shared with me in the past, while they have no recollection of telling me; sometimes they can't remember it and it's only when I give them the details of it that they begin to remember it.

It happened twice on Tuesday and once last night anyway.
Yes, goldfish syndrome here as well. :)
And also yes to reminding someone of what they said and having to explain all the details surrounding the conversation till you see the light bulb shine above their heads, "Oh, yeah! Now I remember." But sometimes they truly don't remember, either. :p

I try to not recall the details of important events in the belief that each time we recall something our brains are assembling the memory with fewer original pieces and more filler pieces. We end up with memories of memories.

Personally, I have really terrible memory. I have really good short-term memory, but getting that information into my long-term is a struggle. Maybe that's why I like photography that much, since taking pictures is a way to connect to my past or remembering a specific detail that I had forgotten about.

My recall is amazing. It is the only way I made it through nursing. I do have very vivid childhood memories too. Some of my memories can be upsetting even when I tell myself that was then and it's time to move on. If my feelings were hurt that memory sticks with me. It's is like it happened yeasterday meanwhile it's been 20 years.

One of the defining characteristics of being an INFJ is an aversion to using memory. Whether it is because your memory is bad or just stressful to use. Memory is the opposite of Inverted iNtuition. I can say for many of us that we not only have terrible memory, often forgetting the thing the next minute, many of us would pay highly if we could forget the memories we do have.

Our Ti and Ni give us no room for memory. Our Ti passes the info to our Ni and vice versa and the idea gets stored in two ways , a solution or a perspective. Then the data that was used to create those ideas is quickly erased to make room for more imaginations and solutions and concepts.

A preference for memory ( Si) could be a sign of mis typing. Understanding Fe and Fi is extremely important to typing as an INFJ because our desire to not let people down and to be people's savior, in a sense, is a huge defining feature.

INFJ = bad memory as far as data goes
Good memory as far as memorizing concepts and solutions.

INFJ = bad memory as far as data goes
Good memory as far as memorizing concepts and solutions.

I wasn't on board with you until I read this and I gotta say, I agree.

I remember personal things a great deal. But I'm absent minded (always was) and I have so much deja vue it's bizarre.

I don't think Infj necessarily have great memories. They have great intuition. And that can be a scary thing. The past and the future seem distinct. But the world once seemed like a flat 2D thing.

I think we now know it's something different.