Do generational differences matter? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do generational differences matter?

at the soul level there might be a ''generational difference'' and that is... I might not know all the latest tech or trending stuff which someone a lot older than me somehow knows. The question though, do generational differences matter? It matters if a differentiation is made and when it's negative and discriminatory.

at the soul level there might be a ''generational difference'' and that is... I might not know all the latest tech or trending stuff which someone a lot older than me somehow knows. The question though, do generational differences matter? It matters if a differentiation is made and when it's negative and discriminatory.
Small minded and self-serving people will use any excuse to discriminate.

Reactions: Jexocuha
They do when it comes to economics as some demographics are having to learn the hard way.

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
So, as time goes by, each generation advances, grows up, and experiences new things that put them in a different demographic or category. Our experiences of the world change, just as the world changes, and technologies we use to relate to each other change. But, I'm curious to know if generational differences have a real, significant impact on how we understand and communicate with each other? Does it matter in some contexts but not others? Which ones? Have generational differences affected you in any way, at work, school, friendships, etc.? Are you noticing significant differences among generations and how they approach work or life that you never noticed before?

Here's the breakdown of the Generations:

https://www.kasasa.com/exchange/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z

Yes generational differences matter, especially if we are talking about socio-economic differences among non-peers of different generations. They are all going to have a very different outlook on circumstances affecting the young adults and youth populations of the current age. Honestly, I really don't care. When I hear millennials talk about the unfairness of the situation that has been handed to us by the boomers, which much of what is said is true btw, I really can't see any practical positive response to the situation other than "Sucks to be you, but hopefully you can make it better somehow?". It probably sounds like whining to older generations. I don't think either side completely understands the other. All I can say is, I feel compelled to understand as much about the current times and how it got this way so I can best navigate the environment to accomplish my own goals and plans. I don't care how annoyed I get everytime I hear a "boomer" say "You just need to work harder", I'll never say "Ok, boomer". I'll just accept there's a difference in perspective; and I generate my own excitement for the terrible, awesome, and spellbinding future that awaits all of us. Times are changing; it's just very different than the past.

Yes generational differences matter, especially if we are talking about socio-economic differences among non-peers of different generations. They are all going to have a very different outlook on circumstances affecting the young adults and youth populations of the current age. Honestly, I really don't care. When I hear millennials talk about the unfairness of the situation that has been handed to us by the boomers, which much of what is said is true btw, I really can't see any practical positive response to the situation other than "Sucks to be you, but hopefully you can make it better somehow?". It probably sounds like whining to older generations. I don't think either side completely understands the other. All I can say is, I feel compelled to understand as much about the current times and how it got this way so I can best navigate the environment to accomplish my own goals and plans. I don't care how annoyed I get everytime I hear a "boomer" say "You just need to work harder", I'll never say "Ok, boomer". I'll just accept there's a difference in perspective; and I generate my own excitement for the terrible, awesome, and spellbinding future that awaits all of us. Times are changing; it's just very different than the past.

One way I like to say it is that for those boomers their mindsets dates back to when gas was 35 cents a gallon and one could afford a middle class life style on an single working class income including a home, cars, stay at home wife, kids, and the occasional vacation. They inherited the best economy the world up to that point had ever seen for which despite some glaring issues it looked back with nostalgia as some lost golden age. What really gets me is the personality types that are so typical of that age group vs those that came before as the WW2 and Silent generations weren't so nasty to interact with.

One way I like to say it is that for those boomers their mindsets dates back to when gas was 35 cents a gallon and one could afford a middle class life style on an single working class income including a home, a new cars every two years, stay at home wife, kids, and the occasional yearly vacation.

FTFY ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Asa and Jexocuha
I’m with someone 11 years older than me. The only negative to a generational gap has been the music. Like when I hear a song from the 90’s, to me it reminds me of high school, and for her it reminds her of her first marriage.
Like we’ll hear a song and she’ll change the station and I’m like, what are you doing, that’s an awesome song. lol. Or she will play the Carpenter woman music and I’ll be like, can you listen to something less depressing than her? But it hasn’t always been terrible. She introduced me to The Bee Gees, like I knew of them but she had me watch documentaries and stuff.
So yeah road trips suck because she can’t “feel” my music and I can’t “feel” hers.
Had we been high school sweethearts, then we’d probably go to concerts together. That is something we have never done. I think we went to American Idol tour show once when her dad was alive, I secretly hated having to go to the show, it was the Katherine McPhee season, ironically, Katherine was sick that day and didn’t even attend the show. I was very disappointed as seeing her was going to be the only highlight for me.

Last edited:
Whenever anyone brings up issues like the environment, climate change, never mind so many other things when boomers are part of the discussion there is this disgusting level of indifference to current reality never mind the future while often worse having treated this planet as their toilet. I still find it difficult to understand how they can be so greedy and how they can value human life so poorly short of their own or those in their immediate family or social circles of course. If anything they are happy to see this world burn down along with everyone in it so long that it lasts just long enough for them to pass from old age and ill health without having to face the consequences of their actions as an generation.

Pretty much sums up how they are with the world.

B5-lDJWCUAAwfya.jpg

Face of a generation

1*DFb1Gk20kyolqPRgtRwQ4g.jpeg

Last edited: