Do generational differences matter? | INFJ Forum

Do generational differences matter?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, as time goes by, each generation advances, grows up, and experiences new things that put them in a different demographic or category. Our experiences of the world change, just as the world changes, and technologies we use to relate to each other change. But, I'm curious to know if generational differences have a real, significant impact on how we understand and communicate with each other? Does it matter in some contexts but not others? Which ones? Have generational differences affected you in any way, at work, school, friendships, etc.? Are you noticing significant differences among generations and how they approach work or life that you never noticed before?

Here's the breakdown of the Generations:

The breakdown by age looks like this:

• Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)

• Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)

• Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)
    • Gen Y.1 = 25-29 years old (around 31 million people in the U.S.)

• Gen Y.2 = 29-39 (around 42 million people in the U.S.)
  • Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation, born between 1997 and 2012. They are currently between 9 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

• Gen A: Generation Alpha starts with children born in 2012 and will continue at least through 2025, maybe later (approximately 48 million people in the U.S.)
https://www.kasasa.com/exchange/articles/generations/gen-x-gen-y-gen-z

Last edited:
Yes, generational differences do have a significant effect on our ability to understand and communicate with one another. And yes, it matters more in some contexts than others. Partially because the differences have a tangible effect on the outcome of a situation, and partially because in some contexts, people decide that it has an important effect for one reason or another. That might be justified, born of ignorance, or capricious, depending on motive, if there is any. I think it's certainly played up in the business world, it gains heightened traction in academia, it is sometimes used to bully in the workplace, and it is sometimes used to discriminate based on age, both in the usual sense as well as making life difficult for the following generations. That said, sometimes it has its benefits.

I can't say that I've experienced many effects in this regard, not in a negative way anyway, but I am sure there are ways that I look at the world that are no longer accurate, and certainly there are social identities, mores, an expected behaviors of which I am totally unaware.

15 years ago I had a relationship with a woman who was 15 years younger than I was. It's interesting to think that she is now the age I was at that time. Did it affect our communication and understanding of one another? Not particularly, but the number of contexts in which we found ourselves was fairly limited. And certainly, culture and customs change, but the overall response of the human body to a given stimulus does not, even if it differs in a unique and individual way for each person. Culture changes quickly, but human evolutionary adaptation does not.

I've been watching these changes all my life, so none of this comes as any surprise to me. I must admit, I enjoy appropriating generationally-associated phrases from those other than my own, often times said in a purposefully-awkward way so as to highlight how “inappropriate” it is for me to use those phrases, and how “clueless” I am becoming in my ever-advancing decrepitude.

Cheers,
Ian

So, as time goes by, each generation advances, grows up, and experiences new things that put them in a different demographic or category. Our experiences of the world change, just as the world changes, and technologies we use to relate to each other change. But, I'm curious to know if generational differences have a real, significant impact on how we understand and communicate with each other? Does it matter in some contexts but not others? Which ones? Have generational differences affected you in any way, at work, school, friendships, etc.? Are you noticing significant differences among generations and how they approach work or life that you never noticed before?

I find I have the most generational differences with Boomers, since they tend to not understand what it's like to be raised in a time of technology. I also have some problems that arise with people that were born much later than me, as most kids of this day and age are very entitled. I don't usually put this first and and foremost when I interact with people of a certain generation, it's just something I keep in mind as I do interact.

But yes, I find that generational differences are there and they do matter. They *usually* permeate everything about how an individual sees everything unless they have taken the time to think outside of that generational mindset. Alot of people can do this, but some, like my father, are very stuck in that way and cannot understand that the generations are indeed a product of their upbringing and he is always saying things like "Millennials ruined America. Your generation ruined everything" Etc...

It's in times like this I want to say "OK Boomer" lol but I realize that is very disrespectful and also just like I am who I am, he is who he is and so I just smile and nod to keep the peace. I try not to take it personally and it doesn't mean he hates all of my generation or any other one per say, he's just very opinionated.

There's more but my brain is currently fried, lol. <3

Thank you for the run down of the generations... I didn't even realize they split up Gen Y like that so it's interesting to see that I'm actually Y.2 :)

It will be interesting to hear these replies!!!

I didn't even realize they split up Gen Y like that so it's interesting to see that I'm actually Y.2 :)

I’ve never seen that before, and I actually study this sort of thing for fun. My favorite topic? Intergenerational changes in the United States, 1950-current, for the 13-25 year old cohort regarding sexual activity, considered from both a sociological and medical perspective.

I had no idea what I was actually living through and experiencing at those ages, relative to others, and because in this culture we generally don’t talk about sex in any way other than the exploitative, that lack of awareness persisted for years and years. Thankfully, the Internet now makes it possible to examine the data, and I have a better appreciation of who I was back then, and why. That additional perspective provides me a deeper understanding and appreciation of who I am today.

In this way, we don't know what intergenerational changes have happened until long after the fact, and the newest generation has to learn almost everything from scratch because of the sad state of health and sexual education in the United States. It shouldn't be this way. We can do better, yet we refuse to do so.

Cheers,
Ian

I’ve never seen that before, and I actually study this sort of thing for fun. My favorite topic? Intergenerational changes in the United States, 1950-current, for the 13-25 year old cohort regarding sexual activity, considered from both a sociological and medical perspective.

I had no idea what I was actually living through and experiencing at those ages, relative to others, and because in this culture we generally don’t talk about sex in any way other than the exploitative, that lack of awareness persisted for years and years. Thankfully, the Internet now makes it possible to examine the data, and I have a better appreciation of who I was back then, and why. That additional perspective provides me a deeper understanding and appreciation of who I am today.

In this way, we don't know what intergenerational changes have happened until long after the fact, and the newest generation has to learn almost everything from scratch because of the sad state of health and sexual education in the United States. It shouldn't be this way. We can do better, yet we refuse to do so.

Cheers,
Ian
Amen.

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
Yes and no, no that the age ranges are arbitrary with there being some overlap as far as attributes are concerned but yes that there are some differences like mindsets for example that can define a generation. For boomers it was all about that grind for money, nice things, life style, and status while for younger generations the experience is different mainly with technology while having to make do with fewer material opportunities. Each generation is really a mixed bag where there is a lot of positive and negative attributes so it comes down to experience and perspectives resulting from experience.

Yes and no, no that the age ranges are arbitrary with there being some overlap as far as attributes are concerned but yes that there are some differences like mindsets for example that can define a generation. For boomers it was all about that grind for money, nice things, life style, and status while for younger generations the experience is different mainly with technology while having to make do with fewer material opportunities. Each generation is really a mixed bag where there is a lot of positive and negative attributes so it comes down to experience and perspectives resulting from experience.

Agreed, but I think the effects of the G.I. Bill after World War II, and the economic prosperity it brought to the Baby Boomers, as the middle class was created and developed, cannot be overstated. Every successive generation has grown up in a much different economic climate and reached adulthood with greatly reduced earning potential, and significantly narrowed opportunities. Compare the accrued wealth of each generational cohort at age 30, age 40, and age 50, and you will find that after the Baby Boomers, wealth fell off the table for Gen-X, and fell off a cliff for Millennials. Your point is absolutely valid, and I think it helpful to illustrate just how different of an environment each generation following has grown up in.

I probably mention this website much too often, but I guess I just can't help being myself.

https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/

Cheers,
Ian

Things fluctuate from person to person, but understanding each other's perspectives and ideas will help various generations appreciate each other more.
Generational disparities hamper our capacity to comprehend and communicate with one another.
A generation often shares beliefs and worldviews, and when a new generation arrives, those values and worldviews shift. This implies that each generation uniquely sees the world. Whatever generation you belong to, your values will be formed by what your generation has gone through.

You might be interested in the Strauss–Howe generational theory, which is discussed in "the fourth turning" book. It goes into pretty good detail about their generational theory and how there is a 4 generation pattern that has repeated throughout all of history. I haven't read it myself yet but have heard about it and seems relevant.

Agreed, but I think the effects of the G.I. Bill after World War II, and the economic prosperity it brought to the Baby Boomers, as the middle class was created and developed, cannot be overstated. Every successive generation has grown up in a much different economic climate and reached adulthood with greatly reduced earning potential, and significantly narrowed opportunities. Compare the accrued wealth of each generational cohort at age 30, age 40, and age 50, and you will find that after the Baby Boomers, wealth fell off the table for Gen-X, and fell off a cliff for Millennials. Your point is absolutely valid, and I think it helpful to illustrate just how different of an environment each generation following has grown up in.

I probably mention this website much too often, but I guess I just can't help being myself.

https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/

Cheers,
Ian

Agreed and have to be honest I've had a falling out with the boomer generation over the past and to a lessor extent some of gen x that their social Darwinist and entitlement mentalities that are just so toxic these days. Like many I've come to blame them at least on a collective level as well some notable individuals for more or less robbing the younger generations of their futures with their poor short sighted and frankly greedy choices for which have destroyed the working as well lower middle classes. While some do care far too many only cared about getting their slice of the pie if not the next guy or gal's slice for themselves regardless of what the long term costs to society never mind to future generations leaving the have nots holding the bag. As for the elites whom they voted for over the past several decades have for the most part gutted the US and lot of Europe economically.

I time to time watch this.

There is also the concept of the Xillenial which is a cross between a Gen-X and Millenial, born at the tail end of Gen-X but before the official first year of the Millenial births. It's a weird place to be because you are essentially between two generations, and it makes a difference. I used to strongly identify as Gen-X because I knew a world before technology was a common part of everyday life, and this was in my high school years. I grew with landlines, tv (black and white, then color), and later on introduced to computers in the early 90s, but it wasn't pervasive by any means. I still prefer to take notes by hand because that was what we did at school.

I wrote more but deleted it because I felt like such a douche. :( I need to rethink my perspective. Too focused on what's wrong rather than how to change and adapt to changing circumstances. That's been the hardest thing, is learning that things can't be like they once were. Change is the constant.

Last edited:
There is also the concept of the Xillenial which is a cross between a Gen-X and Millenial, born at the tail end of Gen-X but before the official first year of the Millenial births. It's a weird place to be because you are essentially between two generations, and it makes a difference. I used to strongly identify as Gen-X because I knew a world before technology was a common part of everyday life, and this was in my high school years. I grew with landlines, tv (black and white, then color), and later on introduced to computers in the early 90s, but it wasn't pervasive by any means. I still prefer to take notes by hand because that was what we did at school.

I am Gen-X, and an earlier one at that. I’ve never known a world before technology, and to be fair, I loved it.

1969 born
1973 cable tv, sony trinitron
1974 could operate the stereo and play records
1975 played with neighbors’ minimoog and arp 2600 synths
1976 first electronics kit
1977 apple ][ computer
1979 first online community
1980 apple ][+
1981 start of golden age of video games
1982 faster modem
1983 apple //e
1983 first time writing code for $
1983 first part-time job in a computer store
1984 apple macintosh
1985 bought first compact disc
1985 internet access
1986 cd player
1987 first full-time job – computer graphics for media presentation
1987 adobe illustrator
1988 started freelance computer work
1990 apple mac classic
1991 first cell phone
1991 apple mac IIfx
1991 first 24-bit color
1991 first 19" sony trinitron monitor
1991 adobe photoshop
1992 first of many synthesizers
1993 apple quadra 950
1994 second cell phone
1994 first digital camera
1994 first website
1995 broadband internet access
1996 protools tdm
1996 apple powermac 7600
1997 third cell phone
1998 apple powermac g3
...and so on

I paid for everything from 1981 forward. Sometimes that meant a lot of snow shoveling, grass cutting, newspaper delivery, and a bit later, I made some good money from babysitting. Then the jobs and freelance began.

I never took notes when I was in school, but I do enjoy writing with a good pen, fountain or otherwise. Even after I had to relearn how to write, I still enjoyed it, although it isn’t as easy, and it’s a little different now.

I used to enjoy when someone younger than I would assume I was semi-tech-illiterate because I was Gen-X. Haha!

In my experience, Xennials typically do not have as-it-happened memory of post-punk and new wave music, and that’s a significant difference from Gen-X. Of course, I take note of this and think it is significant only because I am a music nut.

Cheers,
Ian

I am Gen-X, and an earlier one at that. I’ve never known a world before technology, and to be fair, I loved it.

1969 born
1973 cable tv, sony trinitron
1974 could operate the stereo and play records
1975 played with neighbors’ minimoog and arp 2600 synths
1976 first electronics kit
1977 apple ][ computer
1979 first online community
1980 apple ][+
1981 start of golden age of video games
1982 faster modem
1983 apple //e
1983 first time writing code for $
1983 first part-time job in a computer store
1984 apple macintosh
1985 bought first compact disc
1985 internet access
1986 cd player
1987 first full-time job – computer graphics for media presentation
1987 adobe illustrator
1988 started freelance computer work
1990 apple mac classic
1991 first cell phone
1991 apple mac IIfx
1991 first 24-bit color
1991 first 19" sony trinitron monitor
1991 adobe photoshop
1992 first of many synthesizers
1993 apple quadra 950
1994 second cell phone
1994 first digital camera
1994 first website
1995 broadband internet access
1996 protools tdm
1996 apple powermac 7600
1997 third cell phone
1998 apple powermac g3
...and so on

I paid for everything from 1981 forward. Sometimes that meant a lot of snow shoveling, grass cutting, newspaper delivery, and a bit later, I made some good money from babysitting. Then the jobs and freelance began.

I never took notes when I was in school, but I do enjoy writing with a good pen, fountain or otherwise. Even after I had to relearn how to write, I still enjoyed it, although it isn’t as easy, and it’s a little different now.

I used to enjoy when someone younger than I would assume I was semi-tech-illiterate because I was Gen-X. Haha!

In my experience, Xennials typically do not have as-it-happened memory of post-punk and new wave music, and that’s a significant difference from Gen-X. Of course, I take note of this and think it is significant only because I am a music nut.

Cheers,
Ian

That is some fun machines you've had time with over the years some of them are worth a lot of money these days to collectors especially analog synths because the sound they produce is just nicer vs the later FM and digital synths.

Would love to get my hands on one of these someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
TWould love to get my hands on one of these someday.

Nice...I used to have an Oberheim OB-X, and that thing was a beauty, but wow did it kick out the heat given it was discrete.

These days, the only analog I have held onto is my Roland RS-505 (because I’m going to be buried with it) and my Roland SH-2, both from the late 1970s. I think both of them are just the business in terms of sound. If you only listen to one video in this post, make it the one for the RS-505.

By the time I was old enough to buy anything, analog was already done and gone in the scene, and would not be reborn until the early ‘90s.

Cheers,
Ian

The biggest difference between myself and boomers that I've noticed is how we react to dark subjects. I don't think our generation is that much less affected by it, but the reactions of the people that are affected by it are different I think (Though I'm lumping millennials and Gen Z together, which maybe I shouldn't be doing). Earlier generations state openly that they're disturbed by stuff, later ones try to be dismissive towards it to make it less impactful--barring like an Earthlings where there's a message behind it.

I think specific family stuff matters more than generational differences usually, though. Like I've met Gen Zers who are like severely irony poisoned to the point where they can't express genuine appreciation for stuff but I don't think that's representative of Gen Z.

New The biggest difference between myself and boomers that I've noticed is how we react to dark subjects. I don't think our generation is that much less affected by it, but the reactions of the people that are affected by it are different I think (Though I'm lumping millennials and Gen Z together, which maybe I shouldn't be doing). Earlier generations state openly that they're disturbed by stuff, later ones try to be dismissive towards it to make it less impactful--barring like an Earthlings where there's a message behind it.

I think you are correct in that older generational cohorts tend toward not openly speaking about the dark sides of life, and I think there is a couple of reasons, and one caveat.

First reason is simply socialization, and what was acceptable when they were children. Also consider that Baby Boomers grew up in the promise of a bright and shiny New Frontier. The Jet Age, then the Space age, the transistor, the Moon, civil rights, the polio vaccine.

But thereʼs another reason, I suspect. Baby Boomers, as a cohort, are at an age where their experience of loss is increasing...loss of function, loss of friends, loss of siblings and loved ones, and loss of spouse. Of course, there are a great number who have lost children. This wears on the psyche and people may not have enough left to navigate dark waters.

The caveat is this: the ability to explore, consider, and discuss dark subjects, or morbid things, or taboo subjects, is much more a characteristic of individuals and their associated temperament, values, and experience(s), than it is their age. For example, I have loved such things since I was a child, and I do to this day. I...love (not the right word) morbid things, the seedy underbelly of things, I enjoy reading about the psychology and crimes of serial killers, and am fascinated by human inhumanity across cultures, and through time.

I have to remember that people in general donʼt want to talk about such things, and so I try to remember that before getting too enthused.

Cheers,
Ian

p.s., wrote on phone, sorry about any errors, was rushed

To me there are general generation things that care always going to be present like fads, social norms, mindsets etc that are just part of the generation fabric...
Having said this everybody is their own unique individual...making general assumptions like can there be mutual understanding across different generation gaps...this viewpoint can be such a slippery slope.

I don't care for younger generations claiming older generations messed up the world for them. I think that is a flawed and misguided mindset that will never understand the circumstances in which the world existed before the world was technology-driven. I think there is a lot of revisionist history where younger generations feel they have the right to pronounce judgment on previous generations as if they owe them something. No, no one owes you anything. Previous generations lived in a world that you will never fully understand, and people lived the way they knew how based on how things operated at the time. Very few could imagine that things would change or evolve today as much as it has. Yes, many generations wanted better for future generations and did what they thought was best at the time. What many did not realize was that some of what seemed good at the time was detrimental to humanity in other ways, such as environmental issues. I can tell you that the 1990s young adult me would have said you were ridiculous if you told me the world was going to change as much as it has in 20-25 years. No matter how many predictions people make, you can't ever fully know how things will unfold. Many changes were thrown at us overnight, and we had to adjust pretty quickly. There are many things we learned today, that we didn't know yesterday. Hindsight they say is 20/20.

So, of course, it is easy to judge from today's perspective but if you do, it will be narrow, short-sighted, and misguided. Many options and rights people so casually assume are deserved today were not available to many not that long ago. So, no, I don't think younger generations have a right to judge the past. You were not there, so don't assume you can be judge, jury, and executioner of times past. It's more important to have perspective and understand why things happened the way they did from different angles and perspectives, not just a self-righteous present. As younger generations, you can make fun of all you want about previous generations and talk about how messed up the world is because of what previous generations did, but you only know this because of the knowledge that's been developed over a period of time. You will never understand what it was like to live as they did without all that you have access to in this world today. You know nothing about the constraints of the past, and the conditions or circumstances under which decisions were made. You may understand it intellectually but not from a lived experience. If you're not careful about your judgments of previous generations, you will find yourself not so happy on the other side of this when your children and grandchildren, Generation Alpha and Beta, are old enough to check you.