Do Elephants Have Souls? | INFJ Forum

Do Elephants Have Souls?

That is a long read. I do not have the attention span for that, LOL.

That said, on the topic of anthropomorphism which is covered in the article, I find the problem not so much that people are projecting human traits onto animals as much as they are denying that most feelings we hold come from the animal world. Humans hold humans in too high regard, thinking we are something better and more than other creatures. That is part of the problem regarding where we are in destroying this little planet we all share. (Now, who's soulless?)

Last edited:
That is a long read. I do not have the attention span for that, LOL.

That said, on the topic of anthropomorphism which is covered in the article, I find the problem not so much that people are projecting human traits onto animals as much as they are denying that most feelings we hold come from the animal world. Humans hold humans in too high regard, thinking we are something better and more than other creatures. That is part of the problem regarding where we are in destroying this little planet we all share. (Now, who's soulless?)

I would still recommend a read, if you have the time. It tries to tackle exactly that what you are stating, which is the tendency of using an anthropomorphic view towards animal behaviour; using the elephant's behaviour as the example and having different takes on what the difference is between human and non-human behaviour (and tries to blur the lines). It has nice chapters, though I admit, this is a book on it's own (skimmed through it myself).

What’s So Wrong with Anthropomorphism? (quote from the article)

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time.
—Henry Beston, The Outermost House

I watched two common lizards mating yesterday without knowing at first, as I only saw the larger male. While raising a hand to shoo him away from my dog, the lizard was slowly closing the eye I could see and looked like he was in bliss. We make eye contact often. He jumped from the smaller female, she jumped when she saw me, and off they ran. Bad timing on my behalf for them, but I saw the male slowly closing his eye as if he were in paradise or in love. We call it mating, but the look in his eye seemed like they were making love. He was holding her...so gently, it appeared.

We know certain forms of life have brains and the ability to think. Yet, we may characterize that as almost a "human" trait. So it is, but it does not give us the only chance of living a life and having feelings. We are at the top of the chain on this earth; but are constantly destroying our forests, waters, and wildlife so we can build homes and live OURS.

Some don't believe in the soul; others, too deep for them to think about. Most here have "evolved", so they say. There are so many likenesses in most our very structures(bones, skin, organs, eyes, feet, etc), I would say it might be possible creatures have the same life needs. Maybe we are all far too more common than we realize. I Cor. 13:12, For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

We are learning. We are becoming more aware. Saw a gif today of a baby elephant crossing a split-rail wooden fence. They certainly are not stupid.

6799a2f91dfddf59867877028fa24737--soul-thoughts.jpg

Last edited:
True, if the mods can move this one to the Philosophy section, would be okay :smiley:

@Wyote works your coyote magic pls :kissingheart:

The discussion about what the soul is and whether animals have souls is an eminently philosophical one! ♥

I like to think most animals have souls.

I guess it depends on your definition of soul.

I mean, they obviously have the heart. ❤️

Hmm, I'd say having a sense of being? But yeah, it depends on how you define a soul.
Seems there is a similar thread, gonna link it here as well, it's an interesting topic :smiley:: https://www.infjs.com/threads/do-animals-have-souls.14534/

If by soul we mean sense of being and consider that elephants have souls, why would not all animals and perhaps even all plants also have souls?

Could it not be that these other beings manifest their souls in the very way they are? By hunting, swimming, listening, keeping watch, or even — in the case of plants — just growing or decaying?

Reactions: neko and dragulagu
If by soul we mean sense of being and consider that elephants have souls, why would not all animals and perhaps even all plants also have souls?

Could it not be that these other beings manifest their souls in the very way they are? By hunting, swimming, listening, keeping watch, or even — in the case of plants — just growing or decaying?
Oh plants definitely have souls!

Reactions: Ren
iu