Dealing with Self-hypocrisy

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
For all the things I sprouted, some huge part of me were still a hypocrite.
Espousing one type of value while acting in the opposite. While believing you're doing NOTHING wrong.

I'm not comfortable in exposing the values in question (sorry, ego defense atm), but it's a lot like calling yourself 'gay rights fighter' but were still wincing at gay PDAs and sitting 2 meters away from them. ERRRRR.

Suspicion declared the cause is most likely exposure to those values; both positive and negative. It's like filling a council with Conservative members with a Liberal as the leader / headpiece. However it must be admitted that a lot of those values were probably has seeds inside. I lived in a considerably conservative traditional family / social circle. :|

I wonder how should I deal with this. Any suggestion?

What is it about the value in question that makes you wince? is it the sentiment? or the way it's carried out?

What is it about the value in question that makes you wince? is it the sentiment? or the way it's carried out?
The latter.

Ideal or value-wise there are no problems, but in practice..I found that it's not so much.

The latter.

Ideal or value-wise there are no problems, but in practice..I found that it's not so much.

If it was up to you would you try and resolve the issue in a different way than it is currently trying to be resolved?

If it was up to you would you try and resolve the issue in a different way than it is currently trying to be resolved?
If it's up to me..
Right now I can't even-- form any solution in regards to dealing with it. Still in the mode of analyzing.
However, so far I know that the values I'm espousing (as opposed to acting under) is far more comfortable, and as far as my own twisted mind are concerned, -right-.
(Socially it will also be right, only some will be different in form and details.)

Some values are actually lacking in details. I know what I wanted to be and what I believed is right / proper / true / polite in this aspect (like, say; religious tolerance); but I don't know the details yet. Hence, a fill in the blanks response happened.
Some values are already rich in details. But perhaps, not strong enough.

If the problem is implementation, throw yourself into new situations and force adaption, or psychoanalyze yourself (though effectiveness is limited by your own awareness). You will be able to zoom out of yourself easier after a while and spot more inconsistencies. That you are aware of your own hypocrisy is a good first step. I don't have a lot of experience with handling it yet, but I've taken to writing down every moral judgement and action I do and analyzing them later, in and out of context. Perhaps this will be useful?

Hypocracy is a product of limited awareness; because we operate with imperfect tunnel vision, it seems impossible to be completely free from self-contradiction. The real freedom, I think, is in the striving to be more aware of ourselves and others than yesterday, and acting accordingly. Just my two cents, of course.

When a person can't find a way to deal with an aspect of their personality that they are ashamed of, being because it seems socially unacceptable or for any other reason, person tends to go the other way and slips into personal hypocrisy. It's like having a paedophile ashamed of their needs being the head of the conservative family values movement.

I think that being aware of your own hypocrisy is a huge thing, and that you should examine any feeling of shame or guilt that you might harbour in relations to hypocrisy you've noticed in yourself. Should you feel that guilt and shame if you feel them? Who made you feel that way about yourself and do they have the right to do so?

Hypocrisy happens. Be aware is all.

If the problem is implementation, throw yourself into new situations and force adaption,
That is one thing..
or psychoanalyze yourself (though effectiveness is limited by your own awareness).
I suppose this is on another layer. (how limited, however?)
You will be able to zoom out of yourself easier after a while and spot more inconsistencies. That you are aware of your own hypocrisy is a good first step.
I sure hope so.
I don't have a lot of experience with handling it yet, but I've taken to writing down every moral judgement and action I do and analyzing them later, in and out of context. Perhaps this will be useful?
Sounds good. So far my judgments are little, but oh so clear.
Hypocracy is a product of limited awareness; because we operate with imperfect tunnel vision, it seems impossible to be completely free from self-contradiction. The real freedom, I think, is in the striving to be more aware of ourselves and others than yesterday, and acting accordingly. Just my two cents, of course.
I suppose. It's true, in ideals, but reality just prove me that staying that way-- avoiding from slipping-- is another hard task itself.

When a person can't find a way to deal with an aspect of their personality that they are ashamed of, being because it seems socially unacceptable or for any other reason, person tends to go the other way and slips into personal hypocrisy.
Interesting. Guilt and shame.
It is unacceptable. Socially, personally; especially personally. Perhaps it's the effort that makes slipping easy; I dunno. It does make perfect sense.
It's like having a paedophile ashamed of their needs being the head of the conservative family values movement.
It is; although how much of it is actual shame/guilt and how much of it is saving their asses...I suppose no one knows but God and themselves.
It's a perfect analogy, though. The direction and the original position and the 'value' in question.... I have to (grudgingly) admit it. Albeit not as far as paedophilia, tho. XD;
I think that being aware of your own hypocrisy is a huge thing, and that you should examine any feeling of shame or guilt that you might harbour in relations to hypocrisy you've noticed in yourself. Should you feel that guilt and shame if you feel them? Who made you feel that way about yourself and do they have the right to do so?
Personally? I should. Maybe not, in a 'we are humans' point of view, but the value itself....the form which I have found myself having, -is- bad. The distance from my espoused, intended value, probably made the badness of it too obvious; too noticeable. The direction is more like reversing, rather than slipping. But it's still not perfect. :|
Who made me feel that way... most likely, myself. Or an ideal of mine, at least. Again, the contrast is very noticeable because of the distance between the ideals and this particular little stubborn thing I have.
I can make rationalizations.. I don't know. I feel like the more I tried to argue, the more I feel like ...exactly what you said, right there. :| Facing me, I will judge myself as 'self-hating', 'internalized categorism (see TvTropes)', 'hiding', and 'having issues'.

Internalized Categorism.

Hmm.

Hypocrisy happens. Be aware is all.
It...is, I guess. But be aware-- and nothing else?

One of my biggest question is basically this.

If this is were; SAY; a homosexual homophobic priest, a lot of people will probably focus on the person to accept their homosexuality.
But then.. What if it's a paedophile child therapist?

Same form of hypocrisy.
Different values espoused, different values acted under.
DIFFERENT reactions to be expected.