contemporary art | INFJ Forum

contemporary art

jn56uytrx

May 8, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5- 469
I'd never really been captured by modern or contemporary art. Recently I've read a few articles (perhaps written by xnfj's, who knows), that have explored the meaning of what various works of this type of art have tried to convey and I have found myself captured. I still don't know if the visual of the art naturally would, but having it translated into language describing it's metaphorical intent leaves me with an appreciation I had previously lacked.

Contemplating my previous disinterest and then recent change in perspective, I wondered, what types are most likely to appreciate or create this kind of art?

I began to wonder if my lack of understanding had anything to do with it's medium for expression perhaps being one best perceived through more dominant Se. Generally my physical experience is a bit of a background fog for me.

I thought about how abstract what is being conveyed through modern art usually is and I thought, while not necessary, it may be likely that someone creating or appreciating this art would have intuitive perception among their top three functions. My sense is that someone with a combination of Se and Ni in their top three functions may be most likely to create or appreciate this kind of art.

So I thought ISFP (FiSeNiTe) and ISTP (TiSeNiFe) could be the most likely creators of this type of art. I thought an ENFJ (FeNiSeTi) might be a likely appreciator. I thought perhaps with Se as inferior function INTJ's and INFJ's might be among the least likely to appreciate it before having it presented through another form of perception more accessible to them.

I'm curious, do any of you have a strong affinity for this type of art? Did it come very naturally to you and from the beginning or did you have it introduced to you through a different medium and only then grow to appreciate it?

Any thoughts on contemporary art or on contemporary art in relation to MBTI type?

The thing that really got me interested in art was discovering the emotion behind it, and the intention and thought process that goes into it. Also learning to understand my own individual perceptions and judgments of various pieces of art allowed me to be more comfortable with the subject as a whole, which beforehand felt a bit like a secret club that only members were allowed to know of and fully understand.

Discovering the artists intention is more fascinating for me then the piece itself, but I do gravitate toward pieces which create strong emotional reactions.

My impression of abstract art is that it is principally a means by which the artist expresses something of him/herself. I think the strangeness of some of the art is because of the difficulty of conveying a complex sense of oneself in a two dimensional picture.

I must agree that abstract art does not appeal to me - classical realism and minimalism appeal to me; but abstract art does provoke thought - so I am not so much interested in the art, but in trying to figure out the artist.

Is there any way we can see an example of this art you might wish us to consider?

I wish to contemplate what you would have me contemplate.

My interest has been piqued by reading articles and I'm captured by the idea of it rather than the actual product. I can certainly direct you to the articles I've been reading to give you some idea.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200811/?read=article_weschler

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200811/?read=article_cobb

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200811/?read=interview_sanne

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200811/?read=article_meis

Here's a sample of images that come up on a google image search for a few of the artists in the Believer articles:

David Hockney landscape

hill.jpeg

Robert Irwin piece

1969.jpg

Sol Lewitt wall drawing

lewitt1.jpg

Dyveke Sanne's seed vault

DSC02169_inngansparti_kunst_F_Mari_Tefre.jpg

The thing that really got me interested in art was discovering the emotion behind it, and the intention and thought process that goes into it.

Agreed.

One section from "The Paralyzed Cyclops" that intrigued me in terms of the intention and thought process, when the actual image may not have, was the following:

But what in turn is one to make of Hockney’s recent characterization to me of those deliriously colorful nature studies, devoid of any human presence, as figure paintings? Figure, I asked him, taking the bait, what figure? There’s no figure in these paintings. “You,” Hockney replied triumphantly, “you, the viewer, are the figure.”

My impression of abstract art is that it is principally a means by which the artist expresses something of him/herself. I think the strangeness of some of the art is because of the difficulty of conveying a complex sense of oneself in a two dimensional picture.

That makes sense to me.

I shall ponder seed vault a day or two, as I have found something within it reach and grab my immediate response I wish to ponder.

I searched and found I was wrong, but sometimes interpretation is an art in itself. My initial interpretation of this pic was that of the Northern Lights and mankind's attempt to copy them. Deep inside my mind I have always felt mankind to reach sometimes too far trying to recreate some of the natural state of being in the world. The Aurora Borealis has always amazed and, may I use the word "charmed", me in a sense? My heart desires to see it one day, so it was an immediate response. I now know what it is, but thought to share my interpretation before the knowledge was gained.

The next one that catches my imagination is the wall drawing. At first, I thought there to be a myriad of unnumerable possibilities in its context. Looking at it more closely, I see many less possibilities than at first glance. I enjoy it, but would not have ever looked at it had it not been shown here.
I will ponder the piece next, but have to look harder to see something I feel I am not seeing at first.
Never really spent much time before testing the arts like this, though, if that is what you wanted to know. However, I do like simple tasks like the "three word game" and "wrong answer game"; this could be much like those in a way.

I searched and found I was wrong, but sometimes interpretation is an art in itself.

Closing quote from the Dyveke Sanne article:

"But when you glimpse something for the first time, you may not recognize it. Rather than counting your steps forward and looking straight on, art encourages you to shift your position, move sideways, and look again."

I hope you gained something from the looking.

Closing quote from the Dyveke Sanne article:

"But when you glimpse something for the first time, you may not recognize it. Rather than counting your steps forward and looking straight on, art encourages you to shift your position, move sideways, and look again."

I hope you gained something from the looking.

I gained something from the looking and the learning. I know how to look for a decoy or smokescreens in war, but was wide open to the art. I will look at art much differently.

I gained something from the looking and the learning. I know how to look for a decoy or smokescreens in war, but was wide open to the art. I will look at art much differently.

Now, that was an intriguing comment. I don't know your story well enough to understand the context. I feel pulled between reading your comment literally or metaphorically. Either way, sounds like a story.