Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
What is conscience?
Is conscience different from moral? If yes, what are the difference?
Is conscience different from gut feelings? If yes, what are the difference?
Do you think it's something innate or something learned?

Conscience is an intuitive feeling which moral judgments are derived from. So it is not morals, but the basis for morals.

With morals it can be prescribed that something is right or wrong without feeling conscience, but with conscience you can feel that something is right or wrong without necessarily prescribed morals for that situation.

It causes you to feel remorse when wrong is done, and perhaps feel good when right is done.

The ability is innate. The specifics may be learned.

Firstly, what I think rests entirely on the premise that there is no objective right and wrong.

All That Is...being All That Is...cannot hurt itself and cannot offend itself.
All fear ultimately comes from an engineered ignorance from the source of love.
Love needed to become ignorant of itself in order to experience itself truly.
Becoming ignorant of the absolute leads to fear, fear leads to the sense of separation and the misunderstood feeling of 'otherness' permits acts of evil between many, many different manifestations of the Godhead. Gradually, the creature begins again to awaken to it's true nature and begins to not want to act in certain ways that are not useful to returning to a place of pure love. I suppose this is what you'd call morals but without an understanding of the 'how' and 'why' it is almost impossible to come to any agreement about what is right and wrong.

I see life as being a bit like GTA in the sense that you are here and there are missions to do. You don't have to do the missions at all but if you choose not to, your experience of the game is going to be heavily limited. At first glance it appears that it's just the other islands that are inaccessible but really it is everything else that comes with progressing to the new locations. You're stuck with the most rudimental tools unless you cheat (and it is possible - sort of).

But a person's conscience? I think it is just a case of not knowing consciously what you know unconsciously and getting that prod in the ribs because of it.

What is right is anything that is inkeeping with a person's genuine, full-hearted, belief that the actions they are taking are their attempt at re-creating themselves as the best possible version of themself that they can envisage. If they do this in ignorance (the point of the game) and they hurt many others this is not great when it is contrasted with the average 'best possible version' of a human being on earth...and in that sense and that sense only...what they have done can be considered 'wrong'.

Wrong for us...wrong for them...wrong for me...wrong for you...but never just...wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet and Trifoilum
The ability is innate. The specifics may be learned.
In other words, you imply that conscience is like a blob of mud that you can manipulate and carve, but the blob's already there?

It's funny how moral and conscience can have major conflicts, though.

All fear ultimately comes from an engineered ignorance from the source of love.
Love needed to become ignorant of itself in order to experience itself truly.
Becoming ignorant of the absolute leads to fear, fear leads to the sense of separation and the misunderstood feeling of 'otherness' permits acts of evil between many, many different manifestations of the Godhead.

...Can you explain further? I suspect this is related to a specific belief / way of thinking, and I'd like to know more.

I suppose this is what you'd call morals but without an understanding of the 'how' and 'why' it is almost impossible to come to any agreement about what is right and wrong.
AH, good points *just as [MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] above*.

Without conscience, moral turns..empty and vapid.

[/quote]Wrong for us...wrong for them...wrong for me...wrong for you...but never just...wrong.[/QUOTE]
And I guess this goes back to your first assumption. *nods*

In other words, you imply that conscience is like a blob of mud that you can manipulate and carve, but the blob's already there?

It's funny how moral and conscience can have major conflicts, though.

Yes I think that's about how it is. It's relative, yet something.

I think this is the reason that we develop morals in spite of the fact that right and wrong is not objective.

Morals are a set of beliefs you hold about what is right and what is wrong. Conscience is what makes you feel bad when you act against your own moral values and good when you act according to them. There is a difference between the two, but also a close connection: conscience can't exist without morals, and morals can't exist without conscience.

I'm not sure how conscience relates to gut feelings. If you feel that something is "wrong," but you can't explain why, that's most likely your conscience acting on instinctual moral values that you don't know you have.

Morals aren't universal; they're a cultural construction. What seems "right" for one person might seem "wrong" for another person with a different cultural background. Having a conscience is most likely innate, but the moral beliefs that trigger your conscience aren't.

I began to reply here and it got waaay too long so it became a blog post...here.

It would've been mostly off-topic anyway but it is difficult to talk about parts.
At least, with my less than comprehensive understanding of what I think I understand.

Conscience is both real and faked in form. In real forms it is simply the repugnance a True Being as for this realm and a strong urge to return to is proper environment. It isn't just a rejection of some aspect of this realm such as what one does with one's body, but a rejection of the entire body and its world altogether. In faked form it is truncation of such a Spiritual Moral Expression so that it can only express as what a biologically programmed and culturally conditioned physical body can understand as moral, which is fear of shame, or fear of self-loathing due to a sense of internalizing shame beyond the need for social reinforcement, etc. It has nothing to do with a fundamental rejection of anything except for something which is not conditioned and programmed the same way that it is, so that it can "hate" other kinds of its own nature of pseudo-morality, and also hate TRUE morality, and not even know the difference between them.

The nature of a being, whether it is indigenous to the fake reality or not, determine whether or not it has an innate moral compass which transcends this false realm of pseudo-ethical beings. If it does then it gets a "gut feeling" to remember and follow that deeper and truer code, and this fights to reprogram the ego-conscience (Freudian Super-Ego) until it annihilates the physical ego rather than rehabilitates it with reinforcing feelings which teach it how to go along to get along with society and nature here regardless of any moral principles. Freud, incidentally, was all about disabling THIS kind of conscience, not the false conscience which readily rehabilitates the ego rather than crushing it. The ego can only be conditionally moral, and so a conditionally moral conscience is what grows from it or in harmonious relation to it. An unconditionally moral conscience cannot spring from it nor tolerate it. Freud was the inventor of a psychological process which facilitated the undercutting of the Spiritual Conscience in favor of the ego, so that it could integrate with its world without any hangups...

But this means the death of a True Being, and all its gut instincts will go against this immoral form of ego-worship and falsified moral process. Gut feelings are a realm of experience which is visceral and deal with intuition on a level that simply ignores conscious reasoning and asserts data which it may or may not entertain intentionally. It therefore MUST reveal information concerning disharmony with the ego even if it comes from a conscience which comes from a Spiritual Reality which will inevitably destroy the ego. The only way it will not is if gradually the True Person disregards the gut feelings, intuitions, and other feelings which indicate to it to rebel against ego, false conscience, and the world/society which reinforce those systems of delusional self. Originally meditation and true philosophy were forms of disintegrating the false self so as to reach the true self, but only beings WITH a true self can undergo this process, or have anything to gain by doing so. Everyone else who does it is just like pig wearing lipstick. They aren't even capable of hypocrisy, but only mild confusion and helplessness which might result when their ego/super-ego system go out of line with others or with conditions. They are robots which can superficially look the same no matter what the consciousness within, so they are built with plausible deniability, but are on the whole supressive and inimical to true moral feelings and will gradually force them into compromises which annihilate them and their lifesource, the Moral Spirit.

Reactions: muir
Conscience is both real and faked in form. In real forms it is simply the repugnance a True Being as for this realm and a strong urge to return to is proper environment. It isn't just a rejection of some aspect of this realm such as what one does with one's body, but a rejection of the entire body and its world altogether. In faked form it is truncation of such a Spiritual Moral Expression so that it can only express as what a biologically programmed and culturally conditioned physical body can understand as moral, which is fear of shame, or fear of self-loathing due to a sense of internalizing shame beyond the need for social reinforcement, etc. It has nothing to do with a fundamental rejection of anything except for something which is not conditioned and programmed the same way that it is, so that it can "hate" other kinds of its own nature of pseudo-morality, and also hate TRUE morality, and not even know the difference between them.

The nature of a being, whether it is indigenous to the fake reality or not, determine whether or not it has an innate moral compass which transcends this false realm of pseudo-ethical beings. If it does then it gets a "gut feeling" to remember and follow that deeper and truer code, and this fights to reprogram the ego-conscience (Freudian Super-Ego) until it annihilates the physical ego rather than rehabilitates it with reinforcing feelings which teach it how to go along to get along with society and nature here regardless of any moral principles. Freud, incidentally, was all about disabling THIS kind of conscience, not the false conscience which readily rehabilitates the ego rather than crushing it. The ego can only be conditionally moral, and so a conditionally moral conscience is what grows from it or in harmonious relation to it. An unconditionally moral conscience cannot spring from it nor tolerate it. Freud was the inventor of a psychological process which facilitated the undercutting of the Spiritual Conscience in favor of the ego, so that it could integrate with its world without any hangups...

But this means the death of a True Being, and all its gut instincts will go against this immoral form of ego-worship and falsified moral process. Gut feelings are a realm of experience which is visceral and deal with intuition on a level that simply ignores conscious reasoning and asserts data which it may or may not entertain intentionally. It therefore MUST reveal information concerning disharmony with the ego even if it comes from a conscience which comes from a Spiritual Reality which will inevitably destroy the ego. The only way it will not is if gradually the True Person disregards the gut feelings, intuitions, and other feelings which indicate to it to rebel against ego, false conscience, and the world/society which reinforce those systems of delusional self. Originally meditation and true philosophy were forms of disintegrating the false self so as to reach the true self, but only beings WITH a true self can undergo this process, or have anything to gain by doing so. Everyone else who does it is just like pig wearing lipstick. They aren't even capable of hypocrisy, but only mild confusion and helplessness which might result when their ego/super-ego system go out of line with others or with conditions. They are robots which can superficially look the same no matter what the consciousness within, so they are built with plausible deniability, but are on the whole supressive and inimical to true moral feelings and will gradually force them into compromises which annihilate them and their lifesource, the Moral Spirit.

I'm going to have to sit down and take some time to really digest your posts...they're gems