Comprehension | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Comprehension

A:
Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin founded the Wham-O Toy Company in 1948. Their first toy was the Frisbee, a flying plastic disc. Next, they made the hula hoop which was copied from the famous Hawaiian dance. Both toys were huge successes.

The conclusion that can be drawn from this example is that Richard and Arthur were rich men.

Last edited:
In my learning disabilities session, we covered a classification of learning called Bloom's Taxonomy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom's_Taxonomy

I believe I am stuck at the very first level of the pyramid. Comprehension is my biggest challenge. All of my life, I have managed to survive school on my reasoning ability and intuition. I have come to realize, that I skipped over a key part of learning, which is comprehension.

How do you 'comprehend'? If you are aware of it, anyway. Or if you recall how you learned to do it (probably in elementary school) please share. I would greatly appreciate if you can explain the mental process that goes behind learning, reading, listening to others, watching a movie, or even listening to a song, etc.

For example what is happening in your mind when you read this paragraph:

That I probably wouldn't like hanging around with Mr. Utterson and he's repressing his deepest self.

Hahahahaha.... most likely not what you wanted to hear. :)

B:
Buffalo are members of the cattle family. At one time, huge herds of buffalo roamed the Great Plains. The Native Americans of the Great Plains did not waste any part of the buffalo. They ate the meat and made clothes and tents from hides and fur. They also carved buffalo horns into tools. The Natives of the Great Plains had great respect for the buffalo.

The conclusion here is that buffalo was important to the Natives of the Great Plains' way of life.

I think you should aim to understand each sentence thoroughly before you move on to the next one and take in more information. After reading one sentence, make a mental image or rendition or re-enactment of what is going on. Then once you've got a good picture of it in your head, read the next sentence and then add those details onto what just happened. That's what I typically do anyway, unless I'm being told to dictate something and then I'm too busy focused on reading out loud to digest the meaning of the words.

If you don't understand it, you can't tell it in your own words. It doesn't mean you can't understand it. You just didn't put the mental effort into re-creating the concept in your mind.

That paragraph is full of itself. It revels in language to an arrogant degree. Flaunting. It's a style some prefer, but I personally think it's unnecessary.

I generally speed read and search for keywords. I'm looking for the point.

However, when reading fiction, I slow my roll. Understand the context of what I'm reading. If I don't, I get lost, and appreciation for the writing is lost. Or disdain for the writing if it's terribly written. I'm ultimately hoping to get something out of the story. Remember lines, important details.