Cognitive typing | INFJ Forum

Cognitive typing

wingedfriend

Regular Poster
Aug 15, 2015
MBTI
I just had an idea of typing someone based on cognitive functions descriptions rather than the 4 letter types.

Thinking or Feeling?
If the person prefers thinking, does the person fit more with the Te or Ti description? If Ti, then the other function (tertiary or inferior) would be Fe. Fi for Te.
Same thing if a person prefers Feeling over thinking.

Sensor or Intuitive?
If intuitive, does the person fit more with the description of Ne or Ni? If Ne, the sensing function (tertiary or inferior) would be Si. Se for Ni. Same thing if a person is Intuitive.

Now we know which Judging and Percieving function a person uses.

Let's say for example:

Thinking Intuitive prefers Ti and Ne. The other two functions would be Fe and Si.

Now we need to know the order.
Does the person prefer introversion or extroversion? If Introverted, first function would be an Introverted function, Extraverted function for an Extroverted person.

Let's say the person is Introverted, so the first function would be Introverted Thinking.
Therefor it's Ti -> Ne -> Si -> Fe (INTP)

I don't know if someone has actually thought of this already. If yes, I may have to read more threads and articles lol. But please feel free to judge or share your opinions about this.

Last edited:
wingedfriend said:
Thinking or Feeling?
If the person prefers thinking, does the person fit more with the Te or Ti description? If Ti, then the other function (tertiary or inferior) would be Fe. Fi for Te.

Sensor or Intuitive?
If intuitive, does the person fit more with the description of Ne or Ni? If Ne, the sensing function (tertiary or inferior) would be Si. Se for Ni. Same thing if a person is Intuitive.

I'd say the thing is this idea that people all use either Ne or Ni, Se or Si is ultimately a fantasy perpetuated by the popular model going round.
The reality is that what we can structurally classify are the averages of how S, N, etc oriented someone is. E.g. that someone is more T than F is possible to classify. However, to then restrict and say people who Ti don't Te....is blatantly negated by both test results and pure reason.

I'd say the thing is this idea that people all use either Ne or Ni, Se or Si is ultimately a fantasy perpetuated by the popular model going round.
The reality is that what we can structurally classify are the averages of how S, N, etc oriented someone is. E.g. that someone is more T than F is possible to classify. However, to then restrict and say people who Ti don't Te....is blatantly negated by both test results and pure reason.

Hmm.. I see where you're coming from.
I agree that people who prefer Ti can also use Te.

My idea is that people who prefer Ti can sometimes use Te, but, let's say, they have a stronger preference for Ti and use it a lot more than they use their Te. Considering shadow function says INTP is Ti -> Ne -> Si -> Fe -> -> Te -> Ni -> Se -> Fi

But I see it more like this
Ti (Te) -> Ne (Ni) -> Si -> (Se) -> Fe (Fi)

I got this perspective from keys2cognition.com test results as it shows comparisons between the introversion and extroversion of a certain function.
Example:
example.png

I just had an idea of typing someone based on cognitive functions descriptions rather than the 4 letter types.

Thinking or Feeling?

Sensor or Intuitive?

Now we know which Judging and Percieving function a person uses.

Let's say for example:

Thinking Intuitive prefers Ti and Ne. The other two functions would be Fe and Si.

Now we need to know the order.
Does the person prefer introversion or extroversion? If Introverted, first function would be an Introverted function, Extraverted function for an Extroverted person.

Let's say the person is Introverted, so the first function would be Introverted Thinking.
Therefor it's Ti -> Ne -> Si -> Fe (INTP)

I don't know if someone has actually thought of this already. If yes, I may have to read more threads and articles lol. But please feel free to judge or share your opinions about this.

uhm... actually this is the only correct way of typing. I don't know how many forums you've been and how much research you've made, but typing based on 4 letter code is just a cheap way of free online testing, it's not a real typing. Ah.. I don't want to sound harsh, but I really think a person should make an actual research and learn before making any claims about their type or ways of typing. If you'd actually read all that many resources, you'd know that this is the usuall and corrct way of identifiying one's type. Please, people... read and learn!

uhm... actually this is the only correct way of typing. I don't know how many forums you've been and how much research you've made, but typing based on 4 letter code is just a cheap way of free online testing, it's not a real typing. Ah.. I don't want to sound harsh, but I really think a person should make an actual research and learn before making any claims about their type or ways of typing. If you'd actually read all that many resources, you'd know that this is the usuall and corrct way of identifiying one's type. Please, people... read and learn!

I might sound stupid here since I'm really bad at explanation.

What I'm trying to do here is actually let the person know about the Cognitive Functions as they are being typed instead of just the 4 letter code... And I am talking about trying to type people who hasn't really read about cognitive functions yet.

"claiming" it as my own way of typing, I actually wasn't trying to mean it that way, but if that's how you interpreted it, then sorry, my bad. lol

Last edited:
wingedfriend said:
Considering shadow function says INTP is Ti -> Ne -> Si -> Fe -> -> Te -> Ni -> Se -> Fi

Yeah but the thing is the models are more or less random! Real people do not have to prefer Ne just because they prefer Ti. It's a silly overextension of the idea of healthy compensation into dogma. Jung didn't believe this model, and plenty of post-Jung Jungians have found the level of variation is even higher than his somewhat flexible version of things.

The correct view is that there are general personality dimensions where one can measure one's position relative to others, but one's exact attributes don't fall into a single subset of 16 configurations!

It's fine to ask IF someone has a preference for Ti or Te, Fi or Fe, etc using good definitions of those things yes. But to demand any one given configuration just makes very little sense.

As for the idea that the tests are a silly way of typing, it's true that the tests represent the most shallow intro to type, but the test is quite well-researched, despite all its flaws, and the source for further and deeper studies. I'd say the main thing not evident from the test is the tremendous impact of combinations of different personality dimensions (like how INFs differ in a lot of ways from say ESFs in how they display their preferences).

The cognitive functions like Te, which is basically eTJ in flavor, are just shadows of preference combinations. Knowing all the deeper psychology behind those is much richer than trying to fit everyone in a rigid configuration of Ni Te or Fi Ne or what have you.

One of the biggest errors of newbies is to assume that, because the dichotomies tests are just meant to be a convenient identification tool, they're phrased in a simple way.... that that's all there is to them. But the real reason they're made that way is to try to isolate the purest identifiers of each dimension, which are more simplistic often. There are many attributes of people that cannot identify with any 1 dimension of personality and MUST be attributed to multiple ones. Many of these things like Si, Te, etc are of that nature.
But the problem is you need some starting point, else you don't have 4 relatively independent letters to define your types from.

Once you feel like reading deeper, you can learn more about the more multi-dimensional aspects of psychological type. Jung's notions like introverted intuition combine 3 dimensions...irrational-rational, introversion-extraversion, and sensation-intuition!
And it's great to look at such combinations. But it's foolhardy to assume they configure in 16 rigid ways -- that's the recipe for making an arbitrary model many won't fit.
Even one scholar who wrote MBTI test questions for the official foundation and is also a Jung scholar has said he identifies as an INTP with Se, not Si.
Even Dario Nardi has said in a video that he's seen enough that he's not as rigid about the models anymore.

So frankly when forumites brush off the dichotomies for these rigid models, and are somewhat elitist about it I can't help but think what they're missing.

Last edited: