Jill Hives

fhtagn
Retired Staff
Oct 11, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone else here absolutely LOVE this stuff? I use it for everything from cooking to baking to rubbing on my skin in place of typical lotions and as moisturizer for my lips, and to rub on my cuticles. Oh, and in my hair and on my feet. My skin is softer than it's been for as long as I can remember. I get really bad keratosis pilaris on my arms, but if I exfoliate about every other day and use this coconut oil, it reduces them in about a day. I notice almost immediately if I don't for a while.

ANYWAY, I'm just giving it mad props. If you're big on using natural products for your skin and for cooking, this stuff is pretty much a godsend. The fact that I can use it for so many things makes it a very practical and pretty economical option also.

Although if you don't like the smell of coconut you might not enjoy it on yourself. I think it smells absolutely amazing.

My youngest gets KP on his legs (and sometimes on his face.) I'll have to try your suggestion.

I love the smell of coconut oil. I'll have to try this.

Do you buy Organic?

Thanks Jill.

I sometimes buy banana chips from meijer that use coconut oil... those things are... so good...

Reactions: Jill Hives
[MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION] I do buy organic...organic extra virgin.

i haven't used it to cook with yet. i use it on my hair before i shampoo. it feels noice.

I eat it all the time. About 21 grams every day. It's mostly saturated fat - which is good for you in limited amounts.

It's good for hormone production. Lots of calories, essential fats, etc...

I use it in my hair, and cook with it occasionally. It can be a bit thick for my liking at times, but like [MENTION=1425]Korg[/MENTION], I am very appreciative of it's nutritional value.

If you have lived in areas with any Indian (subcontinent Indians), or Pacific Islanders, you'll know that coconut oil oxidises (goes rancid) quickly and has a pretty cloying smell - so go light on it, because your nose might become accustomed to what other people find stifling.

I don't know if its an old wive's tale, but I've always avoided excessive coconut in my diet because it's supposed to be very bad for the cardio-vascular system????

My stomach turns just at the thought of coconut oil. The only thing I ever rely on it for is in ice cream (vegan of course) in the form of coconut milk. As the oil itself goes, it's much too heavy on my system and causes miserable, gut wrenching cramps and nausea. Not pleasant :(

I use coconut oil for cooking and conditioning my hair. Also, as a new experiment, I am going to make my own mascara using coconut oil and activated charcoal.

If you have lived in areas with any Indian (subcontinent Indians), or Pacific Islanders, you'll know that coconut oil oxidises (goes rancid) quickly and has a pretty cloying smell - so go light on it, because your nose might become accustomed to what other people find stifling.

I don't know if its an old wive's tale, but I've always avoided excessive coconut in my diet because it's supposed to be very bad for the cardio-vascular system????

I'm not sure what kind of quality oil any of those people were using or if it even was the kind of oil I am speaking of here, since I've heard the opposite of both of these claims, that it does not go rancid quickly and is one of the most stable oils available (saturated oils/fats by nature are much more stable than unsaturated). Also that it actually can benefit the cardiovascular system. Although I think quite a while ago (30-40+ years?) it was thought that all saturated fats were bad for you. It is primarily medium chain fatty acids which are more easily absorbed and utilized by the body. I've read that it can actually help boost the good HDL cholesterol in your body and does not raise the bad.

I'm not at all suggesting people ought to eat gobs and gobs of the stuff or trying to say it's some sort of miracle worker here (it WAS for me as far as the condition of my skin and hair goes however, but every body is different, some will have varying experiences). Some sites you'll find online will basically tout it as mana from heaven. I'm not sure I buy into all that, but I do not believe it is harmful in the way that hydrogenated oils and trans-fats are harmful to the body and arteries. Even the good fats are probably best in moderation.

The main reason I love it is for my skin and hair (seriously, I melt it out of solid form, rub it through my hair, shower...and I get super shiny soft hair). I don't like putting lotions full of ingredients I can't pronounce with petrochemicals, parabens and artificial fragrances on my skin, and find that the coconut oil works well for my skin type and keeps my KP bumps at bay. I don't use it on my face though, like some have done. My facial skin simply can't handle oil on it, it makes it break out like mad.

(If you are curious about this, check the facts on your own, I do not claim to be a professional or claim that all of my knowledge is 100% correct. I've been interested in such things for a while and thus I have read quite a bit from various sources but I can't be bothered to dig them up for everyone elses convenience.)

I use olive oil on my hair. I will put it on in the morning, leave it on all day, and before I wash it out, I cut my hair. I prefer natural substances over chemicals.

i use it on my skin and after shaving my legs.
i used to drink by the spoon, however, i find the taste a bit too rich.

Just bought some organic today. You'll have to wait a couple days since I flat ironed my hair. I look forward to using it! I'm open to any new "natural" suggestions.

Awesome,....
I watch out all the posts and all the post very informational about the coconut oil.Coconut oil is the
best for good health and fitness.It giving us proteins and vitamins.Most of the people use the coconut
oil for the cooking.