Climate Change | INFJ Forum

Climate Change

This planet is every organism’s on it, from plankton to elephants. If we destroy the climate, then it could put dents in the food chain, and eventually, the whole food chain would break, and everything would die. We all live on this planet and need to protect it.

Every country in the world could try to “fix” climate change, but without the US and China, we will just get worse. We need (as a world, but that also means the US has to contribute) to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2040, if we don’t, consequences will effectively be baked into the natural systems of the planet. With so much heat-trapping carbon in the atmosphere, there will be, in effect, no turning back. To avoid global catastrophe, we’ll need to limit global carbon emissions by as much as 40 percent by 2030. There may be some people who think of it as something far off, a problem primarily for future generations to solve. Though the children who entered kindergarten in 2018, will be high school seniors in 2030. The "far-off" generation is no farther off than the next one.

The Earth's climate, of course, has changed throughout history. In the last 650,000 years, there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the ice age about 7,000 years ago making the beginning of the modern climate era - and of human civilization. The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is greater than 95 percent likely to be the result of humans, since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unpredictable. There is no question that the increased levels of greenhouse gases are causing the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores that were drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth's climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. There is also ancient evidence in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rock. This paleoclimate (or ancient) evidence shows that the Earth is warming roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming. Earth's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century. This change was driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions.

Well as I see it, preventing a 1.5-2 C rise is impossible.

The solution is develop Carbon Capture technology to remove carbon from the atmosphere and also develop Geo-Engineering technologies such as cloud manipulation to change the surface temperature and cool it down.

Science can provide solutions to just about any problem.

It would be tter if we didn't screw up the planet but since we're on course to, and we can't stop it, lets figure out how to un-screw it up through science.

I agree. It’s almost impossible, but we NEED to fix our mistakes, not just keep procrastinating

Reactions: David54
This planet is every organism’s on it, from plankton to elephants. If we destroy the climate, then it could put dents in the food chain, and eventually, the whole food chain would break, and everything would die. We all live on this planet and need to protect it.

Every country in the world could try to “fix” climate change, but without the US and China, we will just get worse. We need (as a world, but that also means the US has to contribute) to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2040, if we don’t, consequences will effectively be baked into the natural systems of the planet. With so much heat-trapping carbon in the atmosphere, there will be, in effect, no turning back. To avoid global catastrophe, we’ll need to limit global carbon emissions by as much as 40 percent by 2030. There may be some people who think of it as something far off, a problem primarily for future generations to solve. Though the children who entered kindergarten in 2018, will be high school seniors in 2030. The "far-off" generation is no farther off than the next one.

Yeah, not going to happen. 2030 will come and pass with some minor action but nothing on thhe scale you want.

China and India will increase their polution so it doesn't matter what the US and EU does, the threshold will be crossed.

China and Indi are more authoritatiran than the West so even if the people demanded it nothing will happen. Their elites will just continue doing what they do to get rich. Coronavirus proves that. Science be damned, profit is what matters.

2050 maybe, but we also need to invest ing Geo-engeering as I mentioned before. That's the solution.

I agree. It’s almost impossible, but we NEED to fix our mistakes, not just keep procrastinating

*Shrugs* I don;t see a solution. We'll just have to fix it after the fact. Unless you have some magical way to change political policy in 250 countries world wide.

We have no power.

I wish we did.

Do what I am doing. Take your spare time and research the technology we need. Find where you can put your talents to good use.

If your skills are art, create art that demostrates the path we need to take.

If your skills are social, join a political party and try to get into a position of power where you can help fund the technologies we need to improve the planet.

If your skills are mathmatical or scientific, look up the science of green technnologies and/or geo engineering and work for companies that promote that, or start your own business.

Talking about things is good but if you really wnat to do something, get out there and do it.

We can't fix the big countries but having the right people in the right places in 5/10 years time will make life eassier.

Profit is all that maters in some people’s minds, but when will people see that life maters too. Money is not life or happiness. It might be a way of assisting happiness but it is not happiness and is not what we should live for. I guess no mater what we say, higher ups will never change their minds.

Profit is all that maters in some people’s minds, but when will people see that life maters too. Money is not life or happiness. It might be a way of assisting happiness but it is not happiness and is not what we should live for. I guess no mater what we say, higher ups will never change their minds.

Which is why we need to become the higher ups.

I have plans for my career. Lead a company or make your own. Or become a political leader.

Its more difficult if you don't hav a big following but buid it up over years.

My skills are often writing and history.

Then write books on the subject. Research ideas of how to fix things and help people find the information they need.

If its fiction write stories that inspire people to do what needs to be done.

If its non-fiction then highlight the people who are alive today and helping and make them celebrities and boost their power.

I do believe that science has put us on this path with all do respect to you @ReasonEnduring . So science should get us out in your words. It is an important question and topic and thank you @AnnaC13 for approaching this with vigor. My belief is that nature will sort it out as it always does. The moment we think we have a cure for the planets woes is the moment we see that we are just a spec, but that spec has potential and mother nature will not be governed. Awareness can be of benefit, but the cure is out of our hands. Thank you both for your words.

Lightning in fact produces ozone....

I do believe that science has put us on this path with all do respect to you @ReasonEnduring . So science should get us out in your words. It is an important question and topic and thank you @AnnaC13 for approaching this with vigor. My belief is that nature will sort it out as it always does. The moment we think we have a cure for the planets woes is the moment we see that we are just a spec, but that spec has potential and mother nature will not be governed. Awareness can be of benefit, but the cure is out of our hands. Thank you both for your words.

Psssh nonsense.

Ignorance and greed put us on this path.

Science told us we could have had Nuclear Power generators (thorium which is clean burn, or fission) and electric cars decades ago if Big Oil and Coal hadn't stopped it. Money was more important than scientific fact.

Science is always the answer, never the problem.

Science is Knowledge and only ignorance causes humanity harm.

Nature does bugger all except create parasites that devour their host from the inside out. Forgive me if I do not trust in nature.