paradanmellow

Community Member
Aug 31, 2011
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
You'll have to answer me this:
What does Slavoj Žižek have in common with David Foster Wallace?

best answer wins a portrait of themselves made by me in Photoshop (black&white or color - your choice)

give it your best shot! (I appreciate argumentative answers the most)

PS: there is no real time limit, unless common sense council gets to agree on it or something

"What both Wallace's critique on television and Žižek's insight into modern ideology hold in common is the very concept that we, in a fit of liberal education, are aware of the very systematic ideology that confronts us on a day to day basis; but, through our cynical adaptation of our daily lies, through a comical irony, we have convinced ourselves of our innocence and inculpability in relation to this “system”--in a truly cynical sense, we have convinced ourself of a lack of guilt even in our own actions. This cynicism comes with an unhealthy dose of zen-like apathy in which the inner journey of meditation and peace is justified by the refutation of “actual” actions through a mental distancing—in an absurd reversal of Sartre's citation of the waiter and his “bad faith”, modern cynicism seems to have eradicated any notion of freedom or choice at all, but not in a deterministic sense, simply in a nihilistic sense: almost as if the mind has given up to the corporate nature of reality, playing along with it . . . but when the cynicism is obvious (take Sartre's waiter or Wallace's example of TV viewer “Joe Briefcase” who sees the falsity of a commercial, feels rewarded for realising the irony of it, but still ACTS as Audience) we are culpable, guilty of “Bad Faith” at a far worse level than our parents and grandparents who may have been excused to a more “provincial” viewpoint (not yet cynical, but in Direct Belief) in Modern and Pre-Modern periods. "

read the rest here

"What both Wallace's critique on television and Žižek's insight into modern ideology hold in common is the very concept that we, in a fit of liberal education, are aware of the very systematic ideology that confronts us on a day to day basis; but, through our cynical adaptation of our daily lies, through a comical irony, we have convinced ourselves of our innocence and inculpability in relation to this “system”--in a truly cynical sense, we have convinced ourself of a lack of guilt even in our own actions. This cynicism comes with an unhealthy dose of zen-like apathy in which the inner journey of meditation and peace is justified by the refutation of “actual” actions through a mental distancing–in an absurd reversal of Sartre's citation of the waiter and his “bad faith”, modern cynicism seems to have eradicated any notion of freedom or choice at all, but not in a deterministic sense, simply in a nihilistic sense: almost as if the mind has given up to the corporate nature of reality, playing along with it . . . but when the cynicism is obvious (take Sartre's waiter or Wallace's example of TV viewer “Joe Briefcase” who sees the falsity of a commercial, feels rewarded for realising the irony of it, but still ACTS as Audience) we are culpable, guilty of “Bad Faith” at a far worse level than our parents and grandparents who may have been excused to a more “provincial” viewpoint (not yet cynical, but in Direct Belief) in Modern and Pre-Modern periods. "

read the rest here

alright, lady! you've won yourself a portrait, although through someone else's answer, lengthy at that too, yay!
now I have to research this more as it's quite disturbing in a way not so surprising...

just fun fact: have you read it? hehe

now pray tell, what picture of yourself will be the lucky one?

alright, lady! you've won yourself a portrait, although through someone else's answer, lengthy at that too, yay!
now I have to research this more as it's quite disturbing in a way not so surprising...

just fun fact: have you read it? hehe

now pray tell, what picture of yourself will be the lucky one?

i did read it, when i looked it up that is. i admit i'm a google scholar at times lol
you can choose any pic of me from my album on my profile if you like

Too bad this was already won! I would have answered the following:

-Both are physically unattractive (lol)
-Both present serious philosophy humorously
-Both are postmodernists
-Both are cynical about social systems and about the cynicism they engender

Too bad this was already won! I would have answered the following:

-Both are physically unattractive (lol)
-Both present serious philosophy humorously
-Both are postmodernists
-Both are cynical about social systems and about the cynicism they engender

I don't agree they're both as ugly. DFW was way cuter!
but the rest seems alright
I am glad there is someone to take their time with them besides me (assuming you didn't just google it for the occasion)
don't sad, maybe i'll make another contest you can win lolez XDXD

btw this is the prize JGirl won:

r0ox0j.jpg

Reactions: endersgone
from my understanding of not having read anything about either one of the two, both are male

from my understanding of not having read anything about either one of the two, both are male

have you read anything by other males? XDXDXD

have you read anything by other males? XDXDXD

There was this one book, this one time, but I fell asleep and when I woke up the credit were rolling and I didn't feel like rewinding the vcr

There was this one book, this one time, but I fell asleep and when I woke up the credit were rolling and I didn't feel like rewinding the vcr

must have been long ago