Celeb romances and breakups | INFJ Forum

Celeb romances and breakups

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, yes, I do watch the celeb mags and am somewhat aware of all the romances and breakups. I don't expect anyone to think these things are important :D But I am curious about what they represent in our culture and our world. Apart from the entertainment value, the sensational interest they create, what do you think is the social value or relevance of celeb romances or breakups? Do you think it reflects an unconscious belief in watching people live the "fairy tale" or show why the fairy tale is a myth? Or do you think there is some other social, cultural, or psychological reason for our interest in them?

A big part of me wants to believe that it is media driven but then people actually watch Jersey Shore.......I hear Nero fiddling.

Haven't we always been intrigued on some level by the relationships of people in power. Besides Nero, the Bible had it's "celeb" romances in David and Bathsheba, or Mary & Joseph. Or Even Cleopatra and Ramses V (?). Napoleon and his loves or even Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys. There's always been throughout history an interest in romances of famous or popular people throughout history.

True, to an extent. But look at how we have devolved.....The Kennedys to what the hell is her name? Snookie?? Some crap like that. Brangilina? Even to the extent that those who do not really follow this stuff see it all over the place online and in print. Like what is the latest some scandel about than Twilight movie couple? I think people are just more interested in the train wrecks than the romance. Kind of like how people rubberneck at the carnage of an accident. The spectacle of life to wile away time and forget the cares of our mundane existance??

They dont represent anything but the sexual lust of the masses, and they dont serve any purpose but to feed the desire for entertainment of the masses.

i kinda get upset when some celebrity couples break up. i really want them to make it and beat the odds. prove that love is stronger than ego and money. Katy Perry and Russell Brand hurted me in the feels. IF JUSTIN BIEBER AND SELENA GOMEZ BREAK UP, I DON'T WANNA LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE. those kids are just so adorables.

i kinda get upset when some celebrity couples break up. i really want them to make it and beat the odds. prove that love is stronger than ego and money. Katy Perry and Russell Brand hurted me in the feels. IF JUSTIN BIEBER AND SELENA GOMEZ BREAK UP, I DON'T WANNA LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE. those kids are just so adorables.

yeah, I think there's this feeling that if they can make it despite the obstacles of celebrity, then why couldn't our own relationships work. May sound silly but I think many do feel this way. Look at how the Rob P/Kristen S romance or breakup has affected everyone. People really believed in them and are hoping that young love is possible and will last. That would probably be because they are starring in a series of films where vampires live forever (unless staked) which of course makes it easy to believe that love lasts forever in mythical sense. Those films where the stars in a film are personally involved offscreen often leave people thinking that they are simply replacating the fairytale relationship they seem to have onscreen in real life. hmm. Wishful thinking I guess.