Career Help!! | INFJ Forum

Career Help!!

Rigby

Community Member
Jun 9, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
I can't decide if I want to take the artsy route and do something like music or art, or if I want to take a route that I know I'll be successful in but I don't love as much like engineering or computer science. I have so much passion for the arts in dance music and art, I'm just afraid to take the risk. So thoughts?

Reactions: Rigby
So Meg, it's ultimately a decision only you can make, but I'll just say a few things.

I think it's important to have a job that you are passionate about, but if it's something obscure then it may not be the most practical decision.

Consider what types of jobs you would want in the arts. If you can find one you are passionate about and think you can make a career of then definitely go for it. Don't lock yourself into anything yet because you can always change what you want to do. A lot of college goers change their majors.

It definitely depends on what specific jobs you're considering in each field. Do some research.

By the way, I think it's possible to do both. You could initially start out in engineering/computer science while being involved in some artsy clubs or taking dance/singing lessons. I'm not sure if making what you're passionate about a side endeavor is the best course of action as you might start getting restless and frustrated that you're not putting your all into your passions. If you have enough passion and talent for something I would think you could make it work (that's not always the case but you seem like an indefatigable and determined person).

The best careers have a balance between security and passion.

Skimming these articles might help... different perspectives so you can weigh your options: http://www.careerfaqs.com.au/careers/job-hunting-tips/choosing-a-career-path-passion-or-pragmatism/

http://woman.thenest.com/job-security-vs-passion-3672.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/sustainable-career_n_3618480.html

Don't stress out about it, but you should definitely do some research and consider all your options. Don't over-research though. I've had the bad habit of researching so much that I drive myself a little crazy. Eventually you'll need to figure out what you think is best for you, but you don't have to make a decision yet (and you shouldn't). Time will help you work it out.

For what it's worth, I think you're going to do quite well in life. You have a good attitude, and that's very important. I've also seen a lot of talent from you!

It would appear that given your age, you're at a time in your life where you think you shouldn't be making the big decisions. I would heavily advise you to start working on the best possible grades now, so that if you want to go to Harvard, it can be all-the-more possible to do so from this point onwards. Like what [MENTION=11884]INFJ16[/MENTION] said: "it's important to have a job that you are passionate about, but if it's something obscure then it may not be the most practical decision."

I measure practicality such as follows: you are certain that from this point onward, you can obtain the necessary skills which fit into the qualifications field-of-view. In my opinion, being passionate about something is part of the practicality of the path chosen. If you're not passionate about it, you're not going to do as well because your mind will not be 100% focused on the tasks you set before yourself.

In terms of art/music specifically, I cannot offer any further guidance, as my own chosen career paths differ quite substantially. I hope you find your conviction to do the right thing.

Last but not-least: always remember that being selfish is not a bad thing. In order to be successful, you must looking after yourself first, and only worry about catering others as long as it does not force you to compromise on your goals.

Reactions: Rigby and Free
I measure practicality such as follows: you are certain that from this point onward, you can obtain the necessary skills which fit into the qualifications field-of-view. In my opinion, being passionate about something is part of the practicality of the path chosen. If you're not passionate about it, you're not going to do as well because your mind will not be 100% focused on the tasks you set before yourself.

Yes, definitely keep that in mind.

And what [MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION] said about keeping your grades up. Since you aren't sure exactly what you want to do it's especially important to keep your options open. The better your grades, the more possible options are out there. Also, do your best to pull off a good score on your SATS or ACTS so that doesn't become a barrier for you to get into the college you want. A good GPA and standardized test scores are great ways to obtain scholarships.

Do both....

I actually don't get grades [MENTION=11884]INFJ16[/MENTION] [MENTION=13855]JJJA[/MENTION] because the homeschool thing my parents got lazy with it. That's why I am trying to go to public school, BUT thank you guys so much for your opinions btw :3

I can't decide if I want to take the artsy route and do something like music or art, or if I want to take a route that I know I'll be successful in but I don't love as much like engineering or computer science. I have so much passion for the arts in dance music and art, I'm just afraid to take the risk. So thoughts?

Where do you want to find and practice your passion in? Work, or somewhere else?

If you want to practice your passion in your work, music and art sounds like the path.
If you want to work to be able to pay for your passion, engineering or related is the path.

One one hand, you get paid to do what you are passionate for. On the other, you (probably) get paid more money to do something you are less passionate for and in turn find something else to focus your passion on as a hobby. Money can't buy happiness.

Do something that will make you happy and comfortable (with economy, healthcare, etc.)

If you don't love it, I highly advise against engineering/IT. It can be a tough industry with a lot of big egos, and people who don't enjoy it tend to burn out pretty quickly. Did you have a particular career path in mind here?

My advice is to try a range of different activities and classes and see what you like doing the most. Don't feel the need to rush. You're young; enjoy the process of discovery.

If you don't love it, I highly advise against engineering/IT. It can be a tough industry with a lot of big egos, and people who don't enjoy it tend to burn out pretty quickly. Did you have a particular career path in mind here?

My advice is to try a range of different activities and classes and see what you like doing the most. Don't feel the need to rush. You're young; enjoy the process of discovery.

Agreed. HUGE egos and rather cutthroat. I hated it. I changed careers later in life and am much happier working in the medical industry. It doesn't play to my creative side, but it definitely coincides with my desire to help, have purpose, and also a decent paycheck. The creative side of me still paints and sculpts, but only in my personal time.

To be practical, or passionate?

That which is first in the order of intentions, is usually the last in the order of execution. Ie. To achieve the goal, you have to be practical; yet the goal is the motivation for being practical. The happiest solution is one that does not isolate the goal from the means to achieve it.

@Meg,

for me, although my vocation is to be an artist, being commercial about my art is not important to me - what is important to me is going on a lifelong journey through art and following artistic paths devotedly, and this pursuit generally tends to be somewhat at odds with creating a commercially marketable product. for other people, what is more important is that their artistic message will reach others, and the best way to do this is through creating artistic forms that are desirable to a commercial market. i think that neither of these priorities is in any way superior, it just depends on what is more important to the artist. for some people, making a product that can be commercially distributed is a thrilling challenge; for me, while it is important that other people should enjoy consuming any products that i might make, causing my ideas to be commercially viable is not just a tiresome impediment, it is something that i find very difficult to fathom, a challenge that drains and confuses me rather than excites me. for some people, making their art commercially viable is an absolute necessity, because it cannot possibly be made any other way, such as in ballet - while i have the luxury of making my art however i choose, regardless of commercial concerns.

i am studying to work with information, say as a librarian or an archivist. it represents a sort of compromise to me. it is something that i feel an affinity for, and i believe that helping people access information is basically good, and dealing with information products is related to my own need to compose products that contain some sort of information or knowledge or art. but it will hopefully provide me with the financial security that will allow me to keep my vocation somewhat separate.

i definitely agree with others that getting the grades is important. good grades allow greater freedom to pursue more alternatives. dont worry too much about whether or not the school work you are doing is something that you truly believe in, because who cares? the only reason youre doing it is to be able to do what you want to do in life. so just focus on achieving the assessment criteria that will cause teachers to reward you with good grades. then when the schoolwork is done, you can write a story, draw a picture, go for a walk in the sunshine, or do whatever else it is that you love doing.

i think that one thing is for sure, that if you love to create art, that you will find yourself making it no matter what else is going on in your life.

Artistic careers don't require a formal education or diploma in that field.
They can also be self taught and there is a lot of material to be found on the internet.
All you need to land a job in that those fields is a good portfolio.

Computer Sciences and Engineering however do require degrees.
So if you have the capacity to learn things for these fields they are more worthy to take an education in in the case you enjoy both equally. As you can always self study art and build a portfolio.

I've gone the Visual Arts direction, and I absolutely love it, however the jobs concerning art are all hiring based on portfolios, not on formal education, if you have a formal education in it, it usually only means that you have likely got a broader understanding of the field, and it helps you get higher up. And whilst it is true we get to spend a lot of time on making projects, (its very time intensive) usually they are not the projects we want to make ourselves, they're assignments given to us by our school and as such everyone has the same kind of content, this results in people having to try and squeeze time in between projects if at all possible to make their own projects to help them stand out. Very few people resort to placing their school assignments into their portfolios anyway, so it is very possible that someone with a degree in another field has a more interesting portfolio from an artistic perspective then us. What we bring to the table however is having had a formal education in this that made our knowledge base slightly broader and taught us to make things on a industry standard quality with projects organised as per industry standards, and the fact that we're used to making projects outside of our comfort zone and sometimes interests. All in all though this is nothing that cannot be self taught. If you wish to have a somewhat formal education in artistic directions on the side then there are always paid courses on the internet to follow as well.

As such from my perspective, if you like both directions and have the capacity to learn both, then it pays off to get a formal education in the one that requires a degree and working on building a portfolio for the other in your free time. ^^

For those interested, I'm making a page with links to getting started pages and links to tutorials for digital skill sets.
If you got a bit of time on your hands and want to learn something, it might be worth taking a look at ^^

Artistic careers don't require a formal education or diploma in that field.
They can also be self taught and there is a lot of material to be found on the internet.
All you need to land a job in that those fields is a good portfolio.

Computer Sciences and Engineering however do require degrees.
So if you have the capacity to learn things for these fields they are more worthy to take an education in in the case you enjoy both equally. As you can always self study art and build a portfolio.

At least around here, a career in computer sciences does not require a degree. Having one will help that first job be higher up on the ladder but after you get that first job the degree doesn't matter very much. (I am in the field with a degree). In every interview I have ever been in the only person that ever cares about if you have a degree is the HR person; everybody else is there to find out exactly what you know and quiz you to try and trip you up. I have worked with many people that either don't have a degree at all or have a degree in a completely unrelated field.