Neuropedia

In Transit
Dec 21, 2010
MBTI
-
Enneagram
-
herp
at first I thought Fe was iron and Si was silicon and Se was selenium but then I was like wait...:m075:

so uh yea can someone explain how they're assigned to types or link me somewhere that can

*cute face*

Reactions: Odyne
This is the site where I first learned of the Jungian Cognitive processes: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/introvertedthinking.html

Sensing refers to conscious perception

Se is extroverted sensing. It deals with living in the moment and being aware of sensory inputs of what is going on around you. It is focused on the present.

Si is introverted sensing. This has to do with evoking past sensations, automatically comparing and contrasting the situation being experienced with past occurrences or norms. It tends to focus on the past.

Intuition refers to subconscious perception
Ne is extroverted intuiton. It has to do with automatically seeing all sorts of seemingly random patterns and connections in the world around you. It also has to do with being able to consider many possible alternatives without being set on whether to fully endorse any of them. It tends to focus on how things could have turned out.

Ni is introverted intuition. It especially has to do with sudden epiphanies, where a clear understanding seems to emerge from nowhere (as the subconscious has done all the analysis already). It also deals with patterns but tends to focus on one likely trajectory rather than a bunch of unlikely possibilities. It often tends to focus on the future.

Ni and Se are one pair that works together, while Ne and Si are another. Ni tends to extrapolate forward out of Se and Ne to connect the dots made by Si.

Fe is extroverted feeling. It is the process of judging or deciding to value something based on how it influences relationships with others. It deals with values that are considered objective in so far as they are shared

Fi is introverted feeling. It deals with one's own personal subjective values.

Te is extroverted thinking. It values efficiency and usefulness

Ti is introverted thinking. It values coherency and understanding for its own sake.

Fe and Ti are a connected par as are Te and Fi

Here is a post from the PersonalityCafe forum that explains the functions in a different way.
Here is a treatment I did on Objective vs Subjective:

"Objective" and "subjective" are sometimes used to describe both the functions themselves, and their orientation.

"Extraverted attitudes" (external orientation) are considered "objective", while introverted attitudes are considered "subjective", because they are taking place within the person. Jung had originally defined the attitudes as being focused on "the object" and "the subject". (For perception, the attitude is the "source" it is taken from, and for judgment, it is the source of the "standard" it is based in, and in some descriptions, the "realm" it is used in).

Thinking is also frequently condsidered "objective", based on logic and facts, while Feeling is considered subjective "values".

Sensing (concrete perception) is also occasionally considered more "objective", while iNtuiting (abstract) is considered subjective, because it involves the person drawing from patterns and stuff.

Then, perception in itself can be considered objective, because it is taking information (of an object) in, while judgment is what the subject does with the information.

With this:
Objective processing=Perception (P)
Subjective processing=Judgment (J)
Objective data=concreteness (S) or logic (T)
Subjective data=abstractness (N) or value (F)
Objective source=external (E)
Subjective source=internal (I)

The eight functions are then expressed as:

Objective processing of Objective data from Objective source (OOO): Se
Objective processing of Objective data from Subjective source (OOS): Si
Objective processing of Subjective data from Objective source (OSO): Ne
Objective processing of Subjective data from Subjective source (OSS): Ni
Subjective processing of Objective data from Objective source (SOO): Te
Subjective processing of Objective data from Subjective source (SOS): Ti
Subjective processing of Subjective data from Objective source (SSO): Fe
Subjective processing of Subjective data from Subjective source (SSS): Fi

This basically reduces the four dichotomies down to one!

When I first started visiting MTBI forums I felt exactly like you do. I kept seing Ni and Fe everywhere and had no idea what people were talking about. I tried researching what they were talking about it but it just didn't make sense. And then one day I read an article (on the forum I was frequenting at the time) comparing the different functions to animals. For some reason that article made everything click for me.

So, I'll try to explain it how I would have explained it to myself if I could jump in a time machine and go explain stuff to myself :p

The functions come from Feeling, Thinking, Intuiting and Sensing...and then introverted and extroverted versions of each. So in total there are 8 functions. Fe, Fi, Ti, Te, Ni, Ne, Si, Se.

Each type has a group of four functions. Our dominant function, auxiliary function, tertiary function and inferior function.
Dominant is the one you use all the time. Auxiliary is the one that kinda helps out the first one you use it a lot too. Tertiary develops as you get older. Inferior, is your weakness.

As an INFJ your functions are :
Ni (Introverted Intuition) (dominant)
Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (auxiliary)
Ti (Introverted Thinking) (tertiary)
Se (Extroverted Sensing) (inferior)

Check this link
http://typelogic.com/infj.html
Scroll down to the part where it says Functional Analysis. It breaks down your four funtions and what they mean.

Hope that helps.
If you have any more questions feel free to pm me and I will share what i know.

Last edited:
Yea what people said, and Ti will always be paired with Fe and Fi with Te. (Same goes for Se/Ni and Si/Ne)
So you can't have a function order that goes like Ti>Fi>Se>Ni or whatever

I like this for the music

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MU-SCDwspk"]YouTube - INFJ Cracking the Personality Type Code[/ame]